CL - bugs and other issues

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On another thread, I’ve noted the problem I have had with my 6-bit coded v4 35mm Summicron Auto-coding as 35mm f1.4 Summilux when mounted with the M adapter-L. It codes properly on M9, MM. All my other 6-bit coded lenses code properly. Others have replicated this. Bug with the adapter? Camera firmware?

Pardon me if others have brought this up but I only came across the bug today. I had a manual focus lens (Zeiss 600mm Tele-Tessar) on the CL (via Novoflex LEM-CONT and Leica M to TL) and it correctly defaulted to asking which R lens was mounted. However given the length of the lens and that I was trying to take (and failing) pictures of great tits and robins feeding on a bird feeder, I wanted a higher shutter speed. I pressed the mode select button in the left hand roller but with an MF lens on, it did not offer S mode, which is what I wanted but did offer A, M and Movie modes only. Given that on a lens like I had mounted, it could not know the aperture nor be able to alter it, A is a pointless mode. I had to fiddle about with ISO settings to get the shutter speed I wanted, rather than selecting it directly and letting the camera work out the correct ISO. Unless I was doing something wrong, I cannot see why mounting an MF lens, disables shutter priority. A bug surely. 

Wilson

Pardon me if others have brought this up but I only came across the bug today. I had a manual focus lens (Zeiss 600mm Tele-Tessar) on the CL (via Novoflex LEM-CONT and Leica M to TL) and it correctly defaulted to asking which R lens was mounted. However given the length of the lens and that I was trying to take (and failing) pictures of great tits and robins feeding on a bird feeder, I wanted a higher shutter speed. I pressed the mode select button in the left hand roller but with an MF lens on, it did not offer S mode, which is what I wanted but did offer A, M and Movie modes only. Given that on a lens like I had mounted, it could not know the aperture nor be able to alter it, A is a pointless mode. I had to fiddle about with ISO settings to get the shutter speed I wanted, rather than selecting it directly and letting the camera work out the correct ISO. Unless I was doing something wrong, I cannot see why mounting an MF lens, disables shutter priority. A bug surely. 

Wilson

I think you may have it the wrong way round.

A mode is what you want: you set the aperture and the camera decides the shutter speed based on the amount of light it 'sees' through the lens at shooting aperture.

In S mode it would try to set the aperture, based on your chosen shutter speed - which it can't do with an M or R lens - so it won't offer S mode.

• Like 2

I think you may have it the wrong way round.

A mode is what you want: you set the aperture and the camera decides the shutter speed based on the amount of light it 'sees' through the lens at shooting aperture.

In S mode it would try to set the aperture, based on your chosen shutter speed - which it can't do with an M or R lens - so it won't offer S mode.

Paul, 

Of course you are quite correct - brain fade on my part -Doh! M mode was what I really needed with a floating ISO, which of course is doable. 

Wilson

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone had any issues with the rear LCD - last few days I seem to have been losing mine.  Tried changing settings but have been having to switch camera on and off to get LCD to come on after taking camera away from my eye, even pressing play (review) button fails to bring screen on occasionally.  Trying to ignore it but have the feeling it may be a send in event - that is unless one of you helpful people can suggest something to try.  Have tried reset a couple of times to see if it makes any difference - not so far.

Jayne.

Edited by Boojay

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I often get the behavior that once it switches from the rear screen to the EVF, it won't switch back. Anyone else get this? Have I misconfigured something?

That just started to happen to me. I have to turn the camera off to get the rear screen to work again, but once I use the EVF it goes blank. I tried changing the settings, and I even tried returning to factory settings, but nothing seems to help. 

Jayne,

Make certain your hand, or something else, is not proximate to the evf, causing the LCD to go black.

Rob

I tried that, and it did no good, unfortunately. The only way to get the rear LCD to work again is to turn the camera off and on again.

• Like 1

Eye sensors get wet and can be sticky afterwards.  I had a similar problem with an Olympus camera not long ago.  Leica made a late change in the shape of the eyepiece on the CL that was intended to help with this.  So look carefully to see if there is any buildup of stuff around the sensor, and maybe clean it with a little water and a soft cloth before giving up.

• Like 2

I have had this a number of times. A thorough clean round the ocular has always sorted it. Even a small piece of fluff on the sensor below the ocular lens, can make the camera stick on viewfinder rather than rear LCD. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Rob, Scott, Wilson, thanks for that, should have thought myself, makes sense.  

A thorough clean seems to have solved the problem, did you hear my sigh of relief.  Thanks again Guys.

Jayne.

Edited by Boojay
  • Like 1

As an FYI - I had a thread about purple appearing in the LCD images. The link is below - it’s a known issue

LCD - Colors

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=3888&share_tid=283250&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2El-camera-forum%2Ecom%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F283250-LCD---Colors&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro