CL - bugs and other issues

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I press the right wheel, it does say the magnification is on, But I can’t find any way to use it, unless I use the up arrow!.....

I visited the Leica store yesterday and they played with my camera a long time without finding any solution!

I think down the road, with more experience with this new camera, I will find the right way, At least for the time being, I can use this weird method for my MF lenses, :)

Louis,

Sorry to hear you could not use the magnification by turning the right thumb wheel.

I just turn the right wheel (to the right) to get the X3 and x6 magnification in shooting.

As said, I used the M Mode.  I just tried the A Mode and it also works.

For my unit, the arrow don't give any effect.

In the Playback, the right thumb wheel also gives the magnification.

Not sure what causes our differences in CL behavior.

Perhaps there is a bug.

Benedict

• Like 1

Has anyone noticed that the aperture/shutter speed adjust in 1/3rd stops? M lenses and cameras adjust in 1/2 stops. This makes it a bit tricky to match M lens clicks with shutter speed clicks on the CL. Would be nice to have the option for 1/2 stops on the CL.

The M240 also does EC in 1/3 stops - I don't know what the M10 does. I agree it is not particularly logical, but I haven't screwed up yet because of it!

I've been seeing some strange behavior the last few days. When the camera's been sitting unused for a while, when I power up, the top display turns on and shows "Leica CL" and the battery, but then nothing - EVF and LCD are both blank. Buttons unresponsive. Removing the battery doesn't resolve this issue. But, removing the battery and the card do.

Q. How do I trigger image magnification with manual focus?

(This has come up several times already)

A. With TL/SL lenses image magnification is automatically triggered by moving the focus ring. With manual focus lenses, the RH dial by default triggers image magnification.

I have been struggling with this issue ever since I have the camera since I love using my old and good MF Nikkor lenses. I have even been to a Leica store for help, but without any success.

Although the right top wheel shows that magnification is “ON”, I still can’t function it with the wheel like some other folks are doing. But I found a very weird, bizarre and unpractical way of triggering the magnification; pushing the up arrow on the right side of the screen!..... This is not practical at all and I hope a firmware could correct that.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been seeing some strange behavior the last few days. When the camera's been sitting unused for a while, when I power up, the top display turns on and shows "Leica CL" and the battery, but then nothing - EVF and LCD are both blank. Buttons unresponsive. Removing the battery doesn't resolve this issue. But, removing the battery and the card do.

Very odd. Is it consistent? Sounds like it is. Have you tried with another card? It sounds like the camera is starting OK, trying to read the image database on the card, and getting it's knickers in a twist.

Edited by Tobers
  • Like 1

Has anyone noticed that the aperture/shutter speed adjust in 1/3rd stops? M lenses and cameras adjust in 1/2 stops. This makes it a bit tricky to match M lens clicks with shutter speed clicks on the CL. Would be nice to have the option for 1/2 stops on the CL.

Well, if truth be told, in this digital age it is not a grave error to be less than 1/3rd stop off in exposure.

Well, if truth be told, in this digital age it is not a grave error to be less than 1/3rd stop off in exposure.

That is correct. But my modus operandi on my M10 was to click the aperture ring, say, 4 clicks and then the shutter speed 4 clicks and know the exposure would be consistent. With an M lens on the CL that won't happen as I'd need to do some on-the-fly maths to get the number of clicks right on the shutter speed dial to match aperture. Happily though, the WYSIWYG viewfinder aids the process significantly.

When I press the right wheel, it does say the magnification is on, But I can’t find any way to use it, unless I use the up arrow!.....

I visited the Leica store yesterday and they played with my camera a long time without finding any solution!

I think down the road, with more experience with this new camera, I will find the right way, At least for the time being, I can use this weird method for my MF lenses, :)

Louis, your camera behaves as if it has an AF lens and it is in MF mode. Then the arrow key controls the magnification. So it seems that your adapter does not allow the camera to understand that it has a manual lens. Can you tell me what modes you see when you press the left dial button? Do you see A, M and video, or more? 

I have been struggling with this issue ever since I have the camera since I love using my old and good MF Nikkor lenses. I have even been to a Leica store for help, but without any success.

Although the right top wheel shows that magnification is “ON”, I still can’t function it with the wheel like some other folks are doing. But I found a very weird, bizarre and unpractical way of triggering the magnification; pushing the up arrow on the right side of the screen!..... This is not practical at all and I hope a firmware could correct that.

Louis I did not realise you discuss this issue here, but I replied to the image thread

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/279062-leica-cl-the-image-thread/?p=3421024

We can continue the discussion here if you want... Basically your camera behaves as if it has an AF lens, not an MF lens, so I suspect it must be the adapter. Have you tried an M adapter? Does it work? And what do you see when you press the left dial button?

• Like 1

Louis I did not realise you discuss this issue here, but I replied to the image thread

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/279062-leica-cl-the-image-thread/?p=3421024

We can continue the discussion here if you want... Basically your camera behaves as if it has an AF lens, not an MF lens, so I suspect it must be the adapter. Have you tried an M adapter? Does it work? And what do you see when you press the left dial button?

My post was moved to this thread by a moderator, Kostas.

No, I have not tried with M lenses since I do not have any. I had no problem what so ever with T, and I was expecting to use my lenses on CL as I am doing with T..... After all, I am glad I didn’t test this camera in these conditions!...

Louis, your camera behaves as if it has an AF lens and it is in MF mode. Then the arrow key controls the magnification. So it seems that your adapter does not allow the camera to understand that it has a manual lens. Can you tell me what modes you see when you press the left dial button? Do you see A, M and video, or more?

It shows M, Kostas. And of course, the camera is set on MF. The novoflex adapter does not have any electrical connection to the camera. Mounting the adapter should, normally, be enough to tell the camera it is not AF.

Adapters on the CL:

* Leica S-lenses on the CL via the electronic Leica S-Adapter L: DOES NOT WORK. (This in contrast to the SL).

* Nikon E-lenses on the CL via the electronic Novoflex SL/NIK adapter: DOES NOT WORK. (This in contrast to the SL).

* All Nikon lenses on the CL via manual adapters: DOES WORK. But the aperture cannot be changed on the electronic Nikon E-lenses (ok for all other Nikon lenses). And no af, obviously. Default aperture on E-lenses is wide open (smallest f-number). The aperture on E-lenses can be preset on a Nikon body by removing the lens while activating the depth-of-field preview button. In this case the aperture equals that of the lens on the Nikon body.

In summary: Limited functionality compared to the SL.

• Like 1

It shows M, Kostas. And of course, the camera is set on MF. The novoflex adapter does not have any electrical connection to the camera. Mounting the adapter should, normally, be enough to tell the camera it is not AF.

Are you using Novoflex instead of Leica’s M adapter T? Novoflex adapters may not work with CL AFAIK.

Yesterday I wondered if your problem occurred because your lens was unrecognised and you hadn't explicitly identified it in the menu. But then I checked a similar set up, and found that an unidentified lens did not cause the same problem on my CL. I am using a Leica M to L adapter, so I wonder if your Novoflex is the root of the issue. It looks it's worth checking at the store with a Leica adapter.

Of course, the CL should default to MF mode with magnification on the RH dial if it doesn't detect an AF lens, so this may also be a firmware bug.

Edited by LocalHero1953

There was no manual in my box and the dealer promised to get me one but I haven’t checked yet. After using the 18mm lens, I mounted the 23 Summicron-TL last night and the aperture in A mode was stuck at f/2.8. The right wheel didn’t do anything when I turned it. I had to reset the camera. Then everything worked fine. I probably did something wrong but couldn’t figure out how to change aperture in A mode before the reset.

Downloadable online pdf manual is on the Leica USA website and probably on others in different languages. I downloaded a while ago. The manual is not wonderful (as usual) and sensor cleaning does not even get a mention, nor does the required specification of SD card (U3, UHS I or II). I bought UHS II cards just to make sure. I always use the pdf manuals on my iPads anyway rather than the printed manuals. 

Wilson

My post was moved to this thread by a moderator, Kostas.

That is correct. I had to move a load of OT posts out of dedicated threads like the FAQ and Image thread - please, folks, try and post in the appropriate threads.