Capture One V 11 now out - marginal changes and still no de-haze

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Capture One V.11 has just been released. For the first time since V2, I am not sure I am going to bother to upgrade. The improvements seem rather marginal and they still have not put in a de-haze tool, so if you want to de-haze at RAW level, you either have to use multiple tools (fiddling around with blue levels on the colour wheel plus clarity and structure), which don't add up to a lot or use ACR/Lightroom. I really cannot understand, why, after this has been requested for years by C1 users, they still seem to have their Danish heads firmly stuck in the sand over it. I have spoken to them on various stands at Photo shows over the years and asked why they refuse to put in such a tool. They had no answer that made any sense. Any tool is not obligatory to use but should be there if you want it. 

Wilson

• Like 2

Capture One V.11 has just been released. For the first time since V2, I am not sure I am going to bother to upgrade. The improvements seem rather marginal and they still have not put in a de-haze tool, so if you want to de-haze at RAW level, you either have to use multiple tools (fiddling around with blue levels on the colour wheel plus clarity and structure), which don't add up to a lot or use ACR/Lightroom. I really cannot understand, why, after this has been requested for years by C1 users, they still seem to have their Danish heads firmly stuck in the sand over it. I have spoken to them on various stands at Photo shows over the years and asked why they refuse to put in such a tool. They had no answer that made any sense. Any tool is not obligatory to use but should be there if you want it. 

Wilson

+1

I prefer the layers way of working in Photoshop but that may just be familiarity, as I have been using PS since 1999. I prefer to just use a RAW program for those manipulations best done at the RAW level, like colour temperature and de-haze but then PS CC 2017 once converted to JPEG or TIFF. I also prefer C1 as a RAW/DNG library organisation system to Lightroom. 

Wilson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wilson, I'm kind of surprised that you don't use .psd format from raw + embedded / sidecar mods when you plan to use layers.  Because both jpeg and tiff collapse the layers, it seems like you would have more flexibility by saving an intermediate .psd file.

Wilson, I'm kind of surprised that you don't use .psd format from raw + embedded / sidecar mods when you plan to use layers.  Because both jpeg and tiff collapse the layers, it seems like you would have more flexibility by saving an intermediate .psd file.

As I very rarely use layers in C1, that does not matter. In PS, if I reach the point I have over modified, I can always revert to the original TIFF or even DNG. .PNG files use quite a lot of space. Given that my working computer is a Touchbar 15" MacBook Pro with only a 500GB SSD (all that was available when I bought it), space is at a bit of a premium. Our upload speeds in the UK but more in France are far too slow to use Cloud storage. I store most of my DNG's in a Mac Mini modified with a 2TB SSD and use that as my reference library. I only store keepers as JPEG's or TIFF's and even most of those other than the current year in the Mac Mini. 

Wilson

• 2 weeks later...

For me the biggest news is the support for more Leica lens profiles. Near to all newer Leica lenses are supported now.

Unfortunatelly I started a new topic even though there exists already this topic about COP11. :-\

Contacted moderators...input below

escimo Dec, 18 2017 - 03:28:

Hi there.
Don't know if this was already stated but Capture One Pro 11 is out and supports more Leica M-mount lenses (profiles)

Leica Lens Profiles
Leica Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH
Leica Super-Elmar-M 18mm f3.8 ASPH
Leica Summilux-M 21mm f1.4 ASPH
Leica Super-Elmar-M 21mm f/3.4 ASPH
Leica Summilux-M 24mm f/1.4 ASPH
Leica Elmar-M 24mm f/3.8 ASPH
Leica Summilux-M 28mm f/1.4 ASPH.
Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH.
Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH
Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH
Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH.
Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/1 ASPH
Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH
Leica Summicron-M 50mm f.2
Leica Summarit-M 50mm f/2.4
Leica APO-Summicron-M 75mm f/2 ASPH
Leica Summarit-M 75mm f/2.5
Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH.
Leica Summarit-M 90mm f/2.5
Leica Apo-Telyt-M 135mm f3.4 ASPH

Source: COP 11.0 Release Notes (PDF), p.39

Edited by escimo

I just bought the upgrade. - Surprisingly it's running quite stable for a new and minor version of COP. - I have other experiences with COP 7/8/10. :-)

HW/SW combo used: MacBookPro8.2 (late 2011) w/ 4C, 8GB RAM, SSD, AMD Radeon HD 6770M all running under macOS 10.12.6 (Sierra) . - BTW: I'm not an Apple guy at all. Of course not super fast in everything but hey ... look at the HW, it's near to six years old.

As stated above COP11 has now lens profiles for near to all listed Leica M-lenses. And because the layers now working with all tools you don't need the dedicated local adjustments (now "layers") tool tab

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

As always with new versions there may be bugs which leed to unpredictable application behavior (crash etc.)

One thing which confusing me: if you're working with the color editor in conjunction with layers you will see the (local) color changes of one selected layer in the complete image not only in the layer for which you're adjusting colors. It's gone after you deselected the layer (choose "background"). Then the local adjustments are only visible to the adjusted layer.

Could it be to do with either the order you have the layers in? Can you change the layer order by dragging them in the layers dialog box like you can in Photoshop? The other thing could be to experiment with the transparency of various layers. 

Wilson

Could it be to do with either the order you have the layers in? Can you change the layer order by dragging them in the layers dialog box like you can in Photoshop? The other thing could be to experiment with the transparency of various layers. 

Wilson

It's kind of strange. I would expect if you're working on a layer with regional mask, the changes apply only for the mask but maybe I'm wrong and this is how it has to be. I asked PhaseOne. Hopefully they could enlighten me.

Edited by escimo

• 2 weeks later...

PhaseOne taken this as a feature request to the R&D but it hasn't - of course - high priority.

It's only a matter of workflow and behavior if you're working with layers and masks in conjunction with the "Color Editor".

Next to my there was only one other support case with the same request. I do not expect an adaptation before COP12.

Also requested PhaseOne in a separate feature request to add more M lenses from Leica, Zeiss and Voigtländer to COP.

Cheers.

Edited by escimo

• 5 months later...

Increase contrast and clarity slider and you have dehaze.

Regards,

Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

That is what I do plus maybe use a gradient mask as well and increase structure but it is not as good as de-haze in LR. 

I can't stand Lightroom and after a few months using it, it was a considerable relief to return to C1. I waited on upgrading from V.10 pro to V.11 pro, until the CL profile was added. There are loads of things that are better in C1, like the colour wheel and skin tones tool but a de-haze tool is now industry standard to have in a RAW developer and the great majority have it, other than C1. Like all tools, if its action does not please, there is no obligation to use it. 

Wilson