Leica Null (0) Series

dbledsoe

I have one. I did run a roll of film through it last month but it would be a stretch to say that I'm "still using" it. I very much like the size of the camera and I also like the lens but just not together. I think I'd rather have the 50 Anastigmat in M mount and have something like a 28 Summaron fitted to the 0-serie body. That would certainly work for me.

Yes :).

Lovely to use as some 100 years ago.

Regularly, I forget to cap the lens before winding the film.

And that thing has such caracters when using it "the modern way" (framing at arm length, point-&-shoot, etc.), I must forget "how to photograph" acquired for decades.

Oh not to wind-on too quickly after shoot, or not be able to set another shutter speed :lol: , if required.

The best way to practice zen-photography.

Same film and the second one take care of metering, if need be :p

post-21145-0-01479500-1501633825.jpg

Talking about the lens:

The Anastigmat is fix lens, that was the way by then.

Seeing the MTF chart of this Anastigmat, I wanted to know if it can be used on Beoon for slide copy...,

Just two screws and there is a separate "fine 50mm" for experimentation,

in use it's not much better than coated Elmar 3.5/50mm

Edited by a.noctilux

I still use one as a travel camera along with a Ricoh GR.

Use with a SBOOI and Gordy wrist strap.

These days having cameras not larger than a phone saves the hassle of removing them from a bag at airport screening.

This camera used must be an under the radar bargain given the latest inflated prices of modern reproduction classic lenses ; hate to imagine what Leica would now charge for a such a camera or just the lens.

This camera used must be an under the radar bargain given the latest inflated prices of modern reproduction classic lenses ; hate to imagine what Leica would now charge for a such a camera or just the lens.

Yes, agreed. I think it sold new for £2,000 or so when it came out which was more than the RRP of the Noctilux F1 (around £1,800) and the MP (around £1750 at launch). Just extrapolating from that, I think the 0-serie would cost more than £4,000 if it was introduced now. Possibly more, if the £5,095 price of the new Thambar is any indication.

I've often considered selling mine whilst it is still in mintish condition but I reason that they are worth so little on the used market that I'd rather just keep it for those occasional times when I fancy using it.

Edited by wattsy

I too use the Leica 0 and a Ricoh, but my Ricoh is the GXR-M version allowing me to use my vintage Leitz glass, a 50/2.5 Hektor and 73/1.9 Hektor, both of 1932 vintage, along with some vintage Zeiss 126 Contaflex glass via an adapter. Most of all, when I can manage to get everything right shooting the Leica 0 Series Camera, I love the look I get with the 50 Anastigmat lens, and yes I have far more modern digital cameras but still enjoy my M6, Leica IIIa, IIIc, and If, and the Leica 0 Series cameras.

I gave all my 60s vintage Nikon F cameras and lenses to my grandson. He is 19 and his college major is film. I am happy about that, young kids into retro stuff. He was thrilled to get them (the vintage Nikons). I told him when he masters the Nikons, then we will talk about passing my Leica gear on to him... but the Leica 0 will stay with me till the day I die. It will be the last Camera I use.

Thank you all for responding. It is interesting and enthusiastic (for me) to read your responses.

Don

I still use one as a travel camera along with a Ricoh GR.

Use with a SBOOI and Gordy wrist strap.

These days having cameras not larger than a phone saves the hassle of removing them from a bag at airport screening.

Edited by dbledsoe
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just by coincidence I now have some scans from my recently shot roll of film with this camera. There were a few duff ones where I had forgotten to cap the lens as I wound the film but, camera idiosyncrasies aside, the 50 Anastigmat is a very likeable lens.

23917257857_c225f3e63a_b.jpg

• Like 7

So wonderful to see. Thank you!

Please people, provide your Leica 0 images. These are incredible cameras. Built from original specifications for us to enjoy today. I am sure Leica lost a good deal of money on the Null series newbuild. Who but us would want one? They will eventually be worth a small fortune so before they succumb to collector treasures let us use them as they were intended to be used...to take pictures!

Don

Just by coincidence I now have some scans from my recently shot roll

of film with this camera. There were a few duff ones where I had forgotten to cap the lens as I wound the film but, camera idiosyncrasies aside, the 50 Anastigmat is a very likeable lens.

23917257857_c225f3e63a_b.jpg

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I just now stumbled on to this post. I have one (the 2000 version) and use it on occasion when the mood strikes. Here’s a shot from a locomotive at Old Sacramento by the railroad museum there. The film was expired Plus-X; the detail provided by the Anastigmat lens is excellent! As long as I pay attention to the steps, I have no issues with the workflow.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Cheers, Allan

Edited by cobbu2
  • Like 3

This lovely thread is not in the right section here "M System".

My suggestion is to move this thread to "Collectors and Historica" section.

The title is not correct as we are talking about "0" Zero Replica of 2000 and not the Real Leica Zero "Null Serie" : https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/Leica_0

The title is not correct as we are talking about "0" Zero Replica of 2000 and not the Real Leica Zero "Null Serie" : https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/Leica_0

That sounds a bit of mouthful and I'm not sure it is entirely accurate. Without getting too deep into semantics, the product is IMO more of a reissue than a replica. The latter, to me, implies something phoney such as a replica gun whereas this camera is closer in spirit to a new production run by the original manufacturer. In the brochure that comes in the box, Leica describe the camera as the "new edition of the LEICA 0-SERIES camera (their capitalisation). On the box it is called simply Leica 0-serie with a code of 10 500.

Edited by wattsy

• 3 years later...
On 8/29/2018 at 4:43 AM, a.noctilux said:

The camera is not a "Replica."  It is made by Leica/Leitz to original specifications, THEIR specifications.  If anything, it is a "continuation" of the original.

The current Leica reintroduction of the original Noctilux 50mm f/1.2 is not a replica, is it?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, d30gaijin said:

...The current Leica reintroduction of the original Noctilux 50mm f/1.2 is not a replica, is it?...

It certainly isn't a reintroduction of the original f1.2 Noctilux. It's a new lens with a reformulated optical design loosely based on that of the original.

Official blurb; "Carefully adapted in line with modern lens design..."

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

Out of topic, the 28mm Summaron-M that I have is not an exact copy of old 2.8cm neither.

I hoped that the filter thread stay A36 (I have some A36 old filters) but new lens came with E34 size and M mount, crazy

but acceptable as the newly released 28mm lens performs very well 👍

another OOT, as we are here

The Noctilux-M 1.2/50 asph. in this respect can be proud to share modern E49 filter size, in place of Serie 8 for original.

To return to topic,

The Anastigmat 3.5/50mm lens is wonderful.

I hope that Leica would make Replica or redesign of this remarquably good lens in M or better yet LTM mount.

Edited by a.noctilux

On 1/19/2022 at 11:43 AM, pippy said:

It certainly isn't a reintroduction of the original f1.2 Noctilux. It's a new lens with a reformulated optical design loosely based on that of the original.

Official blurb; "Carefully adapted in line with modern lens design..."

Philip.

So what?  Your point?  Seems I missed it. I called out the original Noctilux to distinguish the reintroduction of it from subsequent models such as the 1.1, 1.0, and 0.95.  Does a "reintroduction" of something have to be precise to the original?  I think not.  But if you're hell bent on wordsmithing, well have at it.  Pretty sure folks knew what I meant.  

Edited by d30gaijin

5 hours ago, d30gaijin said:

So what?  Your point?  Seems I missed it...

Yup. Seems you did.

I was adding a little extra detail, written by Leica themselves, to go with what you had already written so that those who might not acquainted with some of the changes between the design of the original lens' optics and those of the recent release could be better understood.

But if you want to be all He-Man about things then carry on as you are.

• Like 2

As we are in M lenses section,

do we have some hope for new Anastigmat 3.5/50mm incarnation ?

Would it be M mount (like Summaron-M 28mm) ?

Or LTM mount ?...for me not a big deal usable on my LTM Leica and M with adapter.

Another detail,

I read in my Pocket Book 8th Edition page 155, that the lens we talk about here is four lens elements in three groups.

I think that the original Anastigmat is five lens element in three groups identical to Elmax, discussion in the book page 154.

I count four , last group is a glued-doublet not glued-triplet like Elmax

here from Wiki

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 2

To be more specific, I took my reference from some drawings of Anastigmat/Elmax/Elmar

this blog in spanish cabolens

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Thanks 1