Leica Noctilux-M f1.25 75 mm introduced

LUF Admin

"Together with the Leica Noctilux-M 50 mm f/0.95 ASPH., the Leica Noctilux-M 75 mm f/1.25 ASPH. is the co-founder of a new family of lenses."

Looks like a faster 35 is on the way, amongst others.

Those of you who need the fastest of everything better start saving!

What's the best bag for a family of Noctiluxes (or is it Noctili?)?

Jeff

• Like 5

Two guys show up to a lifestyle-fashion shoot. One with the 75mm 1.25 on an SL and the other with a 105mm 1.4E Nikkor on a D850. Guess who is walking away with not only the most usable amount of shots but the best composed and focused shots?

I am also willing to bet that the 70 gram lighter 105mm 1.4E gives the 75 Nocti-bux a serious run for it's money in terms of optics, it is one of the best lenses I have used in any format by any maker. 

• Like 6

"When shooting at maximum aperture, the exceptionally shallow depth of focus of the Noctilux-M 75 mm f/1.25 ASPH. can be used to particularly effect with the aid of an electronic viewfinder such as the Leica Visoflex. What’s more, the Leica M-Adapter L transforms the Noctilux-M into an excellent lens for use on the Leica SL. When the lens is mounted on the Leica SL, the 4.4 million pixel resolution of the camera’s EyeRes® electronic viewfinder enables particularly comfortable and extremely precise focusing."

Interesting, pitching it directly toward use with an EVF thereby departing with OVF-based focusing for a new M lens (I guess they have no choice with such a lens). I think we'll see an M10-like with a built-in (SL-like) EVF in the future.

I think that we are starting to see the beginning of RF drift - the point at which lenses are still being designed in an M mount but are hardly in the M rangefinder tradition. Focus, well, Jono seems to think it RF viable - I'd suggest that it may be under good conditions, but such a lens should be intended for use in very low light conditions - at high ISO if needed. And both size and weight buck the Barnack tradition I'm afraid. To me the 75mm Summilux is large enough physically to be as 'big' as I would want to go RF wise, and tricky enough to focus. Perhaps I'm wrong but I see this lens as being a superlative optic but one which says more about Leica's abilities to produce outstanding optics than it actual usability.

• Like 7

Since attending one of Thorsten Overgaard's courses I got 'hooked' on the Nocti (.95) and find I seldom use my 50 lux anymore (not that it too is not a great lens).  I kind of have got used to the weight (including the Really Right Stuff grip and thumbs-up).  Sure it is a bit of a beast (compared with my 35FLE), but when you capture that special moment with the Nocti, in my humble opinion is just is very nice indeed and 'magical'. Expensive sure-- but I don't regret buying it.  I wonder what Thorsten will have to say about the forthcoming lens.  He obviously has raved about the R80 in the past as well.  From years past, my trusty Nikkor 105 on an FE2 was a very good combination.  It begs the question of maybe I should get a Nikkor to M240 adapter?  Has anyone tried the 75 Nocti lens of a M240 and can comment of the focusing experience as compared with 50 Nocti .95?  My eyes are still 'good' and seldom use the Visioflex which I find slow, and 'mood detracting' experience (this is just me)-- but I do agree that using it does make likelihood of 'hitting' the focus greater.  But one 'odd' experience I am trying to 'learn' is that sometimes you can still have a great photo EVEN when the focus isn't tack sharp, that actually being a slight bit off can in certain circumstances provide a different feeling.  Just my 2 cents worth. A lifelong quest of learning ahead (for a 63 year old....hah).

• Like 1

I think that we are starting to see the beginning of RF drift - the point at which lenses are still being designed in an M mount but are hardly in the M rangefinder tradition. Focus, well, Jono seems to think it RF viable - I'd suggest that it may be under good conditions, but such a lens should be intended for use in very low light conditions - at high ISO if needed. And both size and weight buck the Barnack tradition I'm afraid. To me the 75mm Summilux is large enough physically to be as 'big' as I would want to go RF wise, and tricky enough to focus. Perhaps I'm wrong but I see this lens as being a superlative optic but one which says more about Leica's abilities to produce outstanding optics than it actual usability.

Well, I will admit that if you're planning to shoot this lens wide open all the time in low light, then focusing is a challenge, but that sort of depth of field isn't really much easier on a D850 either, clearly there is going to be a 'hit rate', on the other hand the results are nice anyway, and slightly missed focus doesn't necessarily spoil the picture. 

I guess that this lens might not have been produced for film Leicas, but reading the blurb, it is part of the Leica ecosystem, and will be great to use on the SL (I know) and fun to use on the CL (I imagine). The existence of these cameras add to it's tenability (if that's a word!). 

Whatever, it haunts my dreams - I definitely want one, and I'm currently thinking up strategies for getting one!

All the best

Jono

• Like 4