Sticky frame line preview lever.

paulsydaus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On the M10, has anyone noticed the frame line preview lever being sticky?

With a lens mounted, the lever is very sticky when previewing the 35/135mm frame lines. Letting go and it just stays locked on instead of releasing back.

It’s not something I use very often so happy enough to leave it as is, but is there any quick remedies you can suggest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes...I have had the very same issue but when I mount 50mm lenses, since I first bought it.  I didn't notice it because I was using a 35mm Summicron a lot and it was only when I mounted the 50 Cron (and Lux Asph) that I noticed the tramlines weren't right.  I often have to tweak the lever to have it fall into proper place; once there it stays...it's as though the lens mounting on its own doesn't quite 'force' the lever to the correct position.

I'm not sure how to correct this, other than sending it off to Leica. I'm not happy about it, but since I have a remedy and need my camera, I'm very reluctant to send the camera off to Leica for god knows how many months unless it worsens.

• Like 1

Yep, I had this along with a few other problems that I've seen reported (not recognizing 6 bit lenses, a line across images at ISO 800 and above). I just sent it in. The camera is nice, but too many little things not working add up to a camera that doesn't really operate as it should. 

I too have recently experienced this, swapping a 35mm lens for a 90mm, the framelines did not change with the 90 on and I had to tweak the lever which seemed a bit stiff. My niggles are the menu button not working sometimes, turning the camera off and on again cures this, the four way button too does not always click on when confirming a setting.

It's ironic but when I first got an M240 the one thing I was unhappy about was the lack of a preview lever.  Having gotten used to not having it, I no longer miss it.  In the film days it was a common source of malfunction for me, now I look upon it as "one more thing to go wrong". 

My M 10 is only a month old and I found the frame line lever had dropped down, it took a lot of fiddling to get the screw tight again as there is no 

grip on it.  All the lines appear now that it is tight, but I would not want to lose it.

What tool does Leica use for this?

Hi

I had the same irritating problem with my M10 when receiving it late June. I also posted a thread 8th of July on this. And it seems both that it is quite common... but also that problem eventually tend go away through use. At least mine is ok now.

Regards,

Stein

• Like 1

Mine has done the same - the screw-down cap was loose, allowing the lever to swing/fall down to the 6-o'clock position. Fortunately discovered whilst doing some night motorsport and repaired before losing the screw-cap! Removed it completely later, applied tiny amount of locktite blue (on a toothpick) to the threads of the screw-cap and finger tightened as best possible followed by putting a blob of 'Blu-tack' on the screw to grip better and nip it up just a little more. All seems ok.

...and the lever sticks (yes- even before the locktite): I use 35 most of the time so had not noticed it. When using the 50 or 90 positions, the lever moves fine in the direction towards the lensmount, but very sluggish the other way. It amost feels like there's a strong spring in one direction and a weak spring in the other direction. It 'snaps' nicely one way and slowly slowly returns the other way. I'm not sending it back for something so minor - hoping it will wear in. Or otherwise if I get any other glitches in the 2-yr warranty, I will get it attended to then as it does not really impact on the operation of the camera.... and I love it so will allow it some foibles!

[Link to the night drifting/motorsport pics if you are interested: here ]

Edited by PCPix
  • Like 1

This is exactly my thought too. Not something I’m prepared to loose the camera over for a few months. But if it does need to go in for another reason, I’ll definitely be mentioning it.

Nonetheless; Leica this looks like a systematic problem so best do some root cause analysis at your end...

Mine has done the same - the screw-down cap was loose, allowing the lever to swing/fall down to the 6-o'clock position. Fortunately discovered whilst doing some night motorsport and repaired before losing the screw-cap! Removed it completely later, applied tiny amount of locktite blue (on a toothpick) to the threads of the screw-cap and finger tightened as best possible followed by putting a blob of 'Blu-tack' on the screw to grip better and nip it up just a little more. All seems ok.

...and the lever sticks (yes- even before the locktite): I use 35 most of the time so had not noticed it. When using the 50 or 90 positions, the lever moves fine in the direction towards the lensmount, but very sluggish the other way. It amost feels like there's a strong spring in one direction and a weak spring in the other direction. It 'snaps' nicely one way and slowly slowly returns the other way. I'm not sending it back for something so minor - hoping it will wear in. Or otherwise if I get any other glitches in the 2-yr warranty, I will get it attended to then as it does not really impact on the operation of the camera.... and I love it so will allow it some foibles!

[Link to the night drifting/motorsport pics if you are interested: here ]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk