Best Prime lens for APS-C

Why limit yourself to a prime for a travel camera ?

The 18-56 zoom would be a better bet. It is small and flexible. 

Leica make zooms to a specification that matches most primes in quality ...... with the only penalty being a stop or two in aperture. 

Add primes when you have specific needs and the money to get them .......

• Like 3

Why limit yourself to a prime for a travel camera ?

The 18-56 zoom would be a better bet. It is small and flexible. 

Leica make zooms to a specification that matches most primes in quality ...... with the only penalty being a stop or two in aperture. 

Add primes when you have specific needs and the money to get them .......

I have budget limit consider will get it 1 by 1, considering with the 18,23 or 35 Lens now

I liked much the 40/2 for Leica CL on my R-D1. Interesting 60mm FoV for 50mm lovers. Should not show too soft corners on the CL normally. Remains to see if the sensor stack of the latter is thin enough to avoid such softness at full aperture. The lens is not sharp there at f/2 anyway.

23mm is a good choice because it gives you the 35mm focal length (near enough) and that is a great starting point for shooting with any Leica.

Erwin Puts says that 23mm Summicron reach "near the level of the APO-Summicron 50mm for the M system", which is quite a statement.

• Like 3

I will use the Summicron-C 40 as prime lens ;)

I will second that. It is cheap and so called issues with this lens (odd framelines and unfairly doubted cam profile for M) don't apply to mirrorless body. I do like this lens on my Nex-6 and suspect the results will be better/sharper on CL.

Grab it before folks recognize this hidden gem. Search for threads and pictures in this forum got this lens.

• Like 2

The 18-56 zoom is the cheapest SL/TL lens ...... apart from the elusive new 18mm 

If you want a non T/CL lens you need to factor in the cost of an adapter  ......$3-400 for the M/T if you get the genuine Leica version.

There are Summicron C 40's about  .... but a good one will still set you back $5-700 .......and don't forget the little screw in rubber hood. Works well on the TL.

Leica M series lenses hold their prices well ...... even in the second hand market ...... so if you are really on a budget you have to try other manufacturers adapted lenses 

Edited by thighslapper

I liked much the 40/2 for Leica CL on my R-D1. Interesting 60mm FoV for 50mm lovers. Should not show too soft corners on the CL normally. Remains to see if the sensor stack of the latter is thin enough to avoid such softness at full aperture. The lens is not sharp there at f/2 anyway.

My appreciation for its sharpness at f/2 on APS-C (Nex-6) has grown over time. Now I believe it is subject related. Yes, it is no ASPH but that is reflected in price tag.

I will use the Summicron-C 40 as prime lens ;)[/quote

It is equivalent to 60mm in FF. Make sure it has your preferred field of view.

I would suggest 23mm (eq 35mm) or 28mm (eq 42mm) or at most 35mm (eq 53mm) instead. -- Any Leica R or M or T mount should be good, since you are only use the center portion of the image.

• Like 2

hi there , im new to Leica , and I'm planning to get the new Leica CL for travel use , can anyone recommends a best prime lens for me ?

thank you guys

If you are looking for the best IQ with the Leica CL - for sure - in my point of view is the TL-SUMMILUX 50/1.4!

It is not so small, but it's Made in Germany.

You are buying a camera because you love photography and if are looking for a very small camera to travel, your smartphone is enough. 

Hey Louistian!

From what I saw people comment on their favourite TL lens as well as my own opinion - 23mm is a very likeable lens (probably the most likeable TL/CL lens there is)! I don't own it by the way, so I'm not justifying my purchase now ;) For me, if I had to choose one lens - it would be 23mm. 

• Like 1

I will use the Summicron-C 40 as prime lens ;)

It is equivalent to 60mm in FF. Make sure it has your preferred field of view.

I would suggest 23mm (eq 35mm) or 28mm (eq 42mm) or at most 35mm (eq 53mm) instead. -- Any Leica R or M or T mount should be good, since you are only use the center portion of the image.

I’m not a 35 mm fan, I prefer 50 and for wide 24.