Best Prime lens for APS-C

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have discovered that the metadata shown in Lightroom cites exposure and f-number (which it cannot for M lenses mounted via adapter). A nice bonus.

Not really a bonus as its standard on all modern lenses that communicate with the body (which includes all CL, T and SL lenses). M lenses are purely mechanical and have never transmitted data to any camera including the M bodies they were made for.

M lenses are purely mechanical and have never transmitted data to any camera including the M bodies they were made for.

6bit coding does transmit the lens focal length/model...even on the M-L adapter but yes, not exposure data

I have both the 23 and the 18-56. The 23 is a great street lens, a 35mm equiv FOV, is fairly short and very sharp. I've been told it's a better optic overall than the 18mm.

I used the 18-56 almost exclusively while vacationing in Vancouver, and the results, (even close-up flower pictures) were stellar.

Leica did a great job with this camera and the lenses!

-Brad

• Like 2

. The 23 is a great street lens, a 35mm equiv FOV, is fairly short and very sharp. I've been told it's a better optic overall than the 18mm.

I would agree, I think the 18-56 is better at 18 than the prime but the size is amazing, its tiny....Mine came as a kit so I have the 18 but will eventually (when funds allow) replace it with the AMAZING 11-23 zoom.    I use the 35 f1.4 as my standard lens having been brought up in the 70's on slr / 50 f1.8 combos!  I prefer big apertures to wide angles...(just my style I think

I would agree, I think the 18-56 is better at 18 than the prime but the size is amazing, its tiny....Mine came as a kit so I have the 18 but will eventually (when funds allow) replace it with the AMAZING 11-23 zoom.    I use the 35 f1.4 as my standard lens having been brought up in the 70's on slr / 50 f1.8 combos!  I prefer big apertures to wide angles...(just my style I think

I'm with you: A fast normal lens is one of the most useful lenses to have in any kit. :)

I will probably, eventually, buy the T35/1.4. For the moment, the Elmarit-R 28/2.8 is doing me well as my fast wide-normal.

42510272760_d6197f558c_o.jpg

Cup, Spoon, & Sugar

Leica CL + Elmarit-R 28mm f/2.8

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My CL kit for several recent trips was the 11-23 plus the 35/1.4 and that did almost everything that I needed at a very high level.  Right now I have only the 23 with me, and it is also excellent.  Here's an example:

30372475158_010be9eb12_k.jpgC1080374 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr CL/23/2.0@f/5.6

• Like 9

hi there , im new to Leica , and I'm planning to get the new Leica CL for travel use , can anyone recommends a best prime lens for me ?

thank you guys

I'm traveling with my CL at present. I chose a pair of R lenses for this trip: Elmarit-R 28mm f/2.8 and Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4, fitted with M Adapter T and R Adapter M. So far this is working out well.

jacek kurowski schrieb am 13 Sept 2018 - 23:19:

CL+SL90/2 apo is superb combo

My opinion too. Yes, this lens is not a small one - but handling without problems with the CL. And enables the CL to use the stabilizer of the lens.

Edited by HeinzX

My opinion too. Yes, this lens is not a small one - but handling without problems with the CL. And enables the CL to use the stabilizer of the lens.

Hmm? I was unaware that the SL90mm lens was equipped with optical image stabilization...? Leica says nothing about that on their website detail about the lens.

I've tested two 90mm lenses on the CL so far ... the M-Rokkor (née Elmar-C) 90mm f/4 and the Summicron-R 90mm f/2. Both produce superb results, and neither cost me over $500. They don't support autofocus or P/S mode operation, but I'll stick with them for the amount that I use a 90mm lens. :D