Will the CCD in MM1 eventually go bad?

kuad82001

Look at the firmware. This will clue you in on sensor type.

I believe v.1.016 was loaded onto the camera with a replaced sensor.

Thanks James, yes it has 1.016. I'm inclined to believe it does have the new sensor since I don't think the previous owner updated the firmware.

In any case I am really enjoying the MM1.

Edited by colorflow

Thanks James, yes it has 1.016. I'm inclined to believe it does have the new sensor since I don't think the previous owner updated the firmware.

We cannot be sure of that. I updated my earliest M9 to 1.210, and it does not have a new sensor my second later built M9 already had 1.210.

OOPS! You are referring to an MM. Sorry. Please ignore.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes? 1.016 was the firmware many (but not all) Monochroms returned with, for a long stretch. And Leica-Jersey confirmed it had been swapped out.

The reason why I am questioning whether it was changed or not is because the service invoice from May 2017 does not state it was. Just that they replaced the "leather" and adjusted the circuit. Yet, Leica NJ replied they did swap out the sensor when I inquired. Why they had to change the leather is beyond me since the camera has less than 300 actuations. Looks brand new.

Before getting the camera I asked the original owner to take two photos, one against a light background and another against a dark background. He took a long exposure, 30 sec, of the night sky. It showed smudgy patterns all over. See attached. The first is the full frame. The second is crop of upper left corner.

Other than that there is no white dots or any of the other flaws indicative of sensor corrosion. Since Leica said free sensor replacement is available to this camera until Feb 2018, I acquire it anyway.

Does anyone know what these smudges may be? Artifacts of long exposure? 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Further magnification shows these smudges are traces of light source. So it is due to the long exposure. Only question is why is this pattern replicated many times in the frame? Internal reflections of the lens?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The reason why I am questioning whether it was changed or not is because the service invoice from May 2017 does not state it was. Just that they replaced the "leather" and adjusted the circuit. Yet, Leica NJ replied they did swap out the sensor when I inquired. Why they had to change the leather is beyond me since the camera has less than 300 actuations. Looks brand new.

I have difficulty in following the timeline. To replace the sensor requires disassembly which necessitates replacement of the cover ("leather" as you put it.) That's standard operating procedure.

Since the images you posted were not your own, then we might question exactly how they were made. My guess is that the frame was made hand-held therefore highly suspect. The way to perform such a test is to throw the lens completely out of focus against  a featureless background.

The mystery continues.

Edited by pico

Yes, of course, the leather ( as Leica calls it) was changed when they opened the body to change the sensor. Thanks Pico.

So I am quite sure the sensor was changed. I will run the test as Pico suggests, although the original owner did take photo of blank wall and there wasn’t any anomaly.

Edited by colorflow
  • Like 1

Just acquired a MM1 with less than 300 activations with replaced sensor. However the service invoice from Leica does not say sensor replaced. Yet Leica NJ service says it was replaced when I emailed them. So don’t know what to believe.

I’d be interested in what your service invoice say.

LeicaNJ also said free sensor replacement for any MM1 within five years from new. Don’t have to be original owner. Sensors now in stock. Replacement turnaround approx one week!!??

Alan

I also just received my MM back after 6 months in New Jersey.  I received a similar certificate with adjustment to the printed circuit and there is new leatherette but no mention of work on the sensor. The certificate says that camera now meets all factory standards. When I sent my camera in last May, I found and sent files showing very clear indication of corrosion that was confirmed as corrosion by Leica.  I can't find anything on my camera now looking at files I made. The sensor appears to be perfectly clean. And Firmware is 1.022

David

Edited by DwF

I also just received my MM back after 6 months in New Jersey.  I received a similar certificate with adjustment to the printed circuit and there is new leatherette but no mention of work on the sensor.

My understanding is the sensor is a component of the main circuit board and is not removable so the entire circuit board is replaced.  Which may explain the references to circuit board in Leica repair documentation.

My understanding is the sensor is a component of the main circuit board and is not removable so the entire circuit board is replaced.  Which may explain the references to circuit board in Leica repair documentation.

I hope that is the case Luke....here's to hoping! :)

I just received an email back as well with that same explanation from one of the people I have been in contact with at Leica Repair. It's a good day, and time to get out and shoot some B&W!

Cheers,

David