Just bought my first ever Leica M8.2 - Now what lens should I buy?

shutterpete

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am awaiting arrival in anticipation for my M8.2 body.

I now need to find a reasonable pre owned lens. My budget at present will

only stretch to £500/600euros after paying1500 euros for the camera.  I was reading all the

various postings here on the forum regarding lenses for starters.

Initially I would like a portrait lens, also might be shooting pets and some street photography.

Looking for 35mm/40/50mm  f1.4 if possible, if not f2 even 2.8

Brands like Vogtlander - Elmarit - Zeiss - Leica 50mm. f2 Summicron M lens (seen some on ebay sold for £680) etc

I would appreciate your suggestions for a reasonably good lens with nice optics and resolution for a newbie like me

on a limited budget particularly at this stage.

Thanks

Peter

Pick a focal length first. And remember that the M 8.2 has a 1.33x crop factor, so that a 35mm lens will have an angle of view equal to a 47mm lens. The focal length doesn't change, but the edges of the pic are cropped off, using only the center 'sweet spot' of your lens.

Virtually all Leica lenses are fully capable of rendering fine pics. Pick one within your buget, and don't ignore the Summarits.

I prefer to shop reputable dealers, with warranty and service backup. Not sure if you followed that practice with your camera. Try before you buy, or get a return policy.

Jeff

• Like 2

Just get yourself some Canon LTM 50's. Could be the 1.4 or 1.8. Both amazing lenses. 

Also the 40mm 1.4 Voigtlander is KING. 

Please disregard anyone who will cry about the missing 40mm framelines on your M8. 

Just use the 50's lines and aim for a bit more. 

If you are tight on money right now simply start with those and then land a 50mm Rigid Cron and you will be home. 

28mm of anything will do , either Zeiss or Leica. Both great options. 

good luck Sir. 

• Like 2

Just get yourself some Canon LTM 50's. Could be the 1.4 or 1.8. Both amazing lenses. 

Also the 40mm 1.4 Voigtlander is KING. 

Please disregard anyone who will cry about the missing 40mm framelines on your M8. 

Just use the 50's lines and aim for a bit more. 

If you are tight on money right now simply start with those and then land a 50mm Rigid Cron and you will be home. 

28mm of anything will do , either Zeiss or Leica. Both great options. 

good luck Sir. 

Thank you very much.  Just what I wanted to hear.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Pete

if on a budget the Canon ltm lenses really are very good...as discussed above.  I have several...beautiful build and never a hint of back focus  etc.  They work very exactly on all my Leica cameras. 

You might like to consider the 35mm f2 ltm....so you get a 50mm size composition when using the M8.

I like to buy these lenses from Japan using ebay.

All best enjoy a great camera...

• Like 2

I liked the 50mm Rigid - but they are not inexpensive for a good one these days. I bought mine (made in 1957) for $600 in great condition from Japan.

I also used an LTM Canon 85mm f1.9 chrome lens from from 1959 ($275) with an M adapter ring. Heavy but great quality shots.

Finally, I liked the 28 Elmarit. I still use the 50 and the 28 on my M10. Don't use the Canon anymore as I have replaced it with Leica lenses so will probably sell it.

• Like 1

Put IR/Cut filter in the budget...

You could find  new Nokton 35, 40 1.4, Color Skopar 35 2.5 and used Ultron 35 1.7 ASPH LTM for less. Even cheap Jupiter-12 will do with interesting colors and some crazy flare :)

But 28mm frames seems to be less cluttered, yet, it is harder to find budget lens in this leight. Cheap Orion 15 will do, then Canon 28 3.5/2.8 and then Color Skopar 28 3.5. Elmarit-M 28 2.8 V3 should be closed to your price range. 

I went extreme and have $7 Industar-61 lens. Due to M8 crop factor it worked fine, but it requires just little bit of DIY to get it focusing right on Leica (scale focus only).

33743612313_683ee7faf8_o.jpg

50mm is too tele on M9 already, IMO :)

With M8 you could have 24mm frames and here is Color Skopar 25 f4, used or new it is not expensive. Very good lens. But check first if you could see these 24mm framelines. 

Edited by Ko.Fe.
  • Like 1

I would have suggested a 28mm Summicron (37mm) as a first general purpose lens.   However, is above the price range and is not a typical 'portrait' lens and I don't think Peter meant an 'environmental portrait' lens.  

I agree with either a 35mm (47mm) or a 40mm (53mm) lens. Close enough to 50mm for the viewfinder framelines. Perhaps a 1.4 or 2.0 CV in this price range.

• Like 1

Put IR/Cut filter in the budget...

You could find  new Nokton 35, 40 1.4, Color Skopar 35 2.5 and used Ultron 35 1.7 ASPH LTM for less. Even cheap Jupiter-12 will do with interesting colors and some crazy flare :)

But 28mm frames seems to be less cluttered, yet, it is harder to find budget lens in this leight. Cheap Orion 15 will do, then Canon 28 3.5/2.8 and then Color Skopar 28 3.5. Elmarit-M 28 2.8 V3 should be closed to your price range. 

I went extreme and have $7 Industar-61 lens. Due to M8 crop factor it worked fine, but it requires just little bit of DIY to get it focusing right on Leica (scale focus only).

33743612313_683ee7faf8_o.jpg

50mm is too tele on M9 already, IMO :)

With M8 you could have 24mm frames and here is Color Skopar 25 f4, used or new it is not expensive. Very good lens. But check first if you could see these 24mm framelines. 

Thank you so much for this valuable info.

Sometimes the M8/M8.2 camera is not registered with Leica, and if you do it first, you are still eliglible for two sets of UV/IR filters of your choice, free of charge.

It is unusual for a manufacture to honor a deal like that for so long, but nevertheless, it is much appreciated.

• Like 1

A very under rated lens is the Leitz Summaron 35/2.8. Extremely good image quality and it falls right within your price band.

Ernst

+1. And hardly a hood needed because the lens is already recessed

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

+1. And hardly a hood needed because the lens is already recessed

As any old or nor so old Leitz glass, it might have separation. I had once Summaron 35 with separation, most of the time it was absolutely fine, excerpt one particular lens, sun angle. To cut it off I installed same shaped as original conical hood, which is selling at $300 mark now, but $3 Mic one. I liked it more than original, it was less bulky. 

The reason I wrote this is because OP budget it 500/600 Euros. And Summaron 35 2.8 is only starting in 600 Euros these days, with lenses in questionable condition at the bottom price line.  

Edited by Ko.Fe.
  • Like 1

If you do have the original warranty card and an invoice, you could register the camera on Leica's website (assuming the serial number is no longer registered to the former user). This will entitle you to receive two UV/IR cut filters from Leica. I just experienced this service from Leica. I was quite impressed. :) 

• Like 1

Oh, my... It is trashed lens with damaged filter thread. Also this particular lens type doesn't bring 28 frame lines but 35. And it is not as easy as 40 Minolta Rokkor to modify. You need to add to the mount metal, not file it.

• Like 1

Sometimes the M8/M8.2 camera is not registered with Leica, and if you do it first, you are still eliglible for two sets of UV/IR filters of your choice, free of charge.

It is unusual for a manufacture to honor a deal like that for so long, but nevertheless, it is much appreciated.

I just purchased from a third party so I don't think I will apply to me. I will ask the seller though. Thanks for the tip.