Aperture information...

David Monkhouse

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Probably a way to face the unsatisfactory situation. I am afraid, but I am not willing to use a pen in digital times.

Small voice recorder, or even voice notes on a smartphone. Content needn't be confined to aperture or technical info; hopefully there are more important details about your pics and subjects worth noting and remembering on occasion.

Jeff

Are you kidding? These suggestions don‘t meet customer demands of modern thinking camera users... Who carries a lot of extra stuff to store some bits of digital information? Those who can live without any useful features should wait for the M10-D.

Edited by happymac

I think that you fully overestimate that feature. You appear here as if you could not make any good picture without knowing the aperture when sitting on your PC. When in Lightroom I see a photograph that was done in manual Mode with ISO 1600 an 1/60s and a second one of the same theme and frame at (nearly) the same time with ISO 3200 and 1/60s then I have a clear information on what the settings are. Maybe you can make better photographs with an EVF camera where you see the DoF before you ever released the shutter. This is more helpful as Exif‘s that are estimations anyway. And there are quite a few cases that I came across while reading about this subject where the real (the set) aperture was 2 LV different in an M240 than the one shown in the EXIFs. This is then no much good.

At the risk of seeming non-technical, when I look over a set of images to see which meet my or a clients expectations, I don't care a whit what the shutter speed or aperture were.  I used to think this would help me in choosing values for similar situations in the future -- but nope, nothing is ever the same.  Also, now in the post processing world, I don't find the camera values of any significance in "tuning up" the image.

I just look at the scene, the lighting etc., set my values from experience and shoot.

Maybe just me.

Edited by fsprow
  • Like 3

At the risk of seeming non-technical, when I look over a set of images to see which meet my or a clients expectations, I don't care a whit what the shutter speed or aperture were.  I used to think this would help me in choosing values for similar situations in the future -- but nope, nothing is ever the same.  Also, now in the post processing world, I don't find the camera values of any significance in "tuning up" the image.

I just look at the scene, the lighting etc., set my values from experience and shoot.

Maybe just me.

Thats exactly it. That is why I think that this discussion does not make much sense. :-))

I'll stick to the tried and tested method of looking at my photograph if I want to guess the aperture used. It's a simple method, but it's always worked pretty good, you get to know your lenses, you get to know your photographs. Making notes is essential for using the Zone System, but with an M......meh. 

• Like 1

I am not willing to use a pen in digital times.

Writing with a pen is becoming VERY popular because of digital times ;>)  I belong to Fountain Pen Network with over 60,000 members worldwide. And there is some evidence that had written notes can be more effective for learning https://www.npr.org/2016/04/17/474525392/attention-students-put-your-laptops-away

Edited by Pjay

The M10 retains the secondary light meter that was used to pass on the guesstimated aperture, so there would seem to be no reason why this facility couldn't be reinstated.

I wouldn't make that assumption, myself. The secondary blue meter cell on the front has other functions than estimating aperture used (such as adjusting the brightness of the optical finder frameline and meter diode to match the ambient light). It is possible that the "wiring" of the CPU plus firmware no longer has a connection for EXIF data as opposed to camera functions. And then again, does.

As to the lack of a camera estimate, if I am, for example, comparing a lens's performance at f/2 and f/5.6, or two different lenses at f/2 and f/5.6, I find it a trivially simple exercise to just look at the shutter speed in EXIF to figure out which shots were at f/2 (the faster shutter speed) and which were at f/5.6 (the slower shutter speed). And so on, up and down the scale.

Similarly, the old "Sunny 16" guidelines (correct exposure in broad daylight is: f/16, with a shutter speed equal to the ISO setting, with progressive 1-stop corrections for - hazy sun or sidelighting; light overcast or open shade; heavy overcast; and deep shade) make it easy for me to estimate aperture from the EXIF ISO and shutter-speed data at least as accurately as the secondary meter's estimate in previous Leica-M digitals. Overcast day, ISO 400, 1/250th sec - I must have used the equivalent of 1/400th sec @ f/16 minus 3 stops (f/5.6) - or f/6.7 at 1/250th. Plus/minus a half-stop at most.

That being said, and not having missed an estimated aperture in EXIF over the 9 months I've had the M10 - I come down ever so slightly in favor of Leica restoring the estimated aperture to EXIF if possible. If nothing else, it is fun seeing the EXIF telling me my f/2 lens managed to take a picture at f/1.7 on occasion. Instant Summilux! ;)

Not having aperture data in the M10 is my single biggest gripe compared to the M240 (well, that and the missing split-level).  I know that the aperture data is a guestimate, but I found it very useful on the M240 and I dearly miss it on the M10.   Yes, I can do the sunny 16 calculations from shutter speed, and I can tell by looking if it was wide open or f/8, and yes I can carry a notebook and I can dictate into my phone and email notes to myself.  BUT, I much prefer to glance in LR and see the aperture data, even if its off by a stop or so, especially after much time has passed since making the image.

I bought my M10 on the day it was released, and I fully expected Leica to include the missing aperture data in a future firmware (perhaps enabled in settings), but alas, that was not to be.  Quite frustrating really.

Edited by ELAN
  • Like 1

I bought my M10 on the day it was released, and I fully expected Leica to include the missing aperture data in a future firmware (perhaps enabled in settings), but alas, that was not to be.  Quite frustrating really.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and demands. I had the same thoughts and I am shure that Leica will the wishes become true. It cannot be a technical issue, but a matter of fullfilling customer demands. Come on Leica, make your job!