Aperture information...

David Monkhouse

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've just been working on a set of images of my grand-daughter taken inside and without flash.  I varied the aperture to get varying depth of field as one does and am pleased with the results however I have no idea at what aperture the best image was taken (I am 70 and well past my sell by date).  I am therefore unable to replicate the best aperture at a later date.  I know the previous M cameras were using software inspired guessing but since my M8 and M9P had the facility to record the aperture why not the M10.  Previous post suggested a software update might add the facility but the latest update does not.

So Leica, if possible, please add this lost facility...

No Leica M communicates aperture from lens to body; there is no electrical or mechanical facility. It was guesstimated in the EXIF for prior digital models, but Leica discontinued that practice with the M10. The prior approach often raised questions here about accuracy. (And before you ask, the lens code merely identifies the lens used.)

Edit... I see you may have recognized this. But it's unclear if Leica will ever reinstate the prior approach.

The good news is that you might be encouraged to take notes until you've learned how your lens best renders, relying less on computers and more on you, speeding up your eventual picture taking.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

The good news is that you might be encouraged to take notes until you've learned how your lens best renders, relying less on computers and more on you, speeding up your eventual picture taking.

At the other end of the spectrum is the ability to attach a voice memo to the image which my Nikon D4 provides.  Not likely to find its way to a Leica, but very useful in adding important information about the shot in addition to that recorded in the metadata. Possibly a small voice recorder would suffice.

Edited by Luke_Miller

There's a camp which feels if this information is so critical, it should not be displayed as an estimate.   There are apps you can use to track this, cell phone's voice recorder, cell phone note pad or the old school pen and notebook.  When I shoot film, and I care to track this info,  I use a pen and small notebook until my negatives are processed and I'm able to label them accordingly.    

Not only was it hit and miss but if any post processing was done it will change the exif info for the aperture setting in the finished product.

I’d rather have it correct than wrong.

Edited by jdlaing

There's a camp which feels if this information is so critical, it should not be displayed as an estimate.   There are apps you can use to track this, cell phone's voice recorder, cell phone note pad or the old school pen and notebook.  When I shoot film, and I care to track this info,  I use a pen and small notebook until my negatives are processed and I'm able to label them accordingly.    

Which of course still can be used, regardless of whether or not the estimate is returned.  Beyond enabling the facility, for those who'd prefer it not show up in at all in the exif, I'd suggest they just add a menu option to disable the data being  recorded.  There are several somewhat odd software omissions from the 240 to 10. It would be nice to see this and a few others reinstated.   

• Like 1

Not only was it hit and miss but if any post processing was done it will change the exif info for the aperture setting in the finished product.

I’d rather have it correct than wrong.

Yes, but if we read the EXIF/firmware threads on the M10 it is not unlikely that it was left off because the compiling in software was messed up and not fixed in time...

Obviously M is not for you. It is what it is and it’s not about the money it costs.

May be, you are right. Actually analog and digital Ms have been with me for the last 25 years. :-)

Except the newest model the digital Ms deliver the aperture information. I cannot see a progress...

May be, you are right. Actually analog and digital Ms have been with me for the last 25 years. :-)

Except the newest model the digital Ms deliver the aperture information. I cannot see a progress...

is it possible that someone decides on buying an M10 or not based on the content of the EXIF data file of a camera? Happymac wants to terminate his 25 years with Leica because of EXIF data? Does this make any sense? It seems that nowadays everything is possible. Or did I miss something?

• Like 1

Of course I won‘t terminate using my M10!!!

All I want is the aperture information in the EXIF, as it was delivered by the digital predessors of the newest model. To meet the demand of every user there should be an option in the preferences, where you can decide, if you want the estimated aperture value written into the EXiF or not.

• Like 2

Of course I would like to have the aperure value in the EXIFs too. But you claimed in post #11 that this was a „no go“ to have an M10. Maybe you did not really mean this . . . The term „no go“ is quite definite after all.

However its how it is. I can live with it as it changes no photograph that was taken at an earlier time. And if I make a test series to test whatever I want to test then I will have to write down what I did in order to analyse that data at a later time.

• Like 2