Largest print size for S typ 007

Leicalifer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Looking at purchasing s typ 007. Non Leica shooters are advising against purchase and going with H 5d50 with the argument more MP will allow for larger prints.

So what are the l largest prints I can realistically expect to do? Plan on shooting product, architecture and landscapes. I’ve seen fantastic prints in the Leica Gallery here in Los Angeles, so I am somewhat baffled as I don’t plan on doing billboards or the like. The Leica S lenses technically resolve more lpm than the Hassy glass (which is Made by Fujinon) so is this really a moot point or dicernible matter of concern?

Any constructive advice would be appreciated.

Don´t get fooled by pixel count. The lenses are more important and they are way more responsible for the resolution of a photo than the amount of pixels. I think you can´t buy better lenses than Leica S lenses.

Go for a 007 and get happy.

• Like 2

Sensor is only part of the process; it is the performance of the entire system that determines image quality. Sensor + firmware + lenses comprise the comparable systems among manufacturers. Technique and supporting equipment should be the same.

My standard is that a large print should look good at 50cm (20in) viewing distance and also at 2-3 meters (7-10 feet). When people are interested in a print they, will walk around and view it up close.

All that to say that a 200cm x 133mm (80in x 54 in) print from S 006 looks good at close viewing distance. I have not produced larger than that.

There are people on this forum, who have used both Hasselblad and Leica systems. I recall one of them said that results with the 100mp back were better than the S, but not so much more than he would have expected.

Regards,

Jesse

• Like 3

"Sensor is only part of the process; it is the performance of the entire system that determines image quality. Sensor + firmware + lenses comprise the comparable systems among manufacturers. Technique and supporting equipment should be the same."

That´s it! It´s like an Apple-Computer (or how they used to be) way faster than a Windows with but with less GHz because all the components where well coordinated.

I had big files from my Nikon D810 (36MP) but higher resolution with my Leica SL (24MP) because the Leica- lens is way more better than the Nikon-lens.

It´s the package that makes the quality.

Best,

Peter__

• Like 2

Just a quick comment.  I have had a Hasselblad H5D-50c and an S007 and now a Hasselblad H6D-100c. Doing a rough check of large (~30x50") prints in my studio this AM I would say that the S007 and H5D images are extremely comparable in (very high) quality.  For a mix of studio and outdoor use I would choose the H5D (computer access, Phocus software, flexibility re backs etc), for non-studio use the Leica.  Personal preference.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

90"x 60" Works amazingly well. Any error in focus will make more of a difference than resolution. And of course going larger exceeds the width allowed by most printers. The real issue with this size is the challenge of framing with glass. It really requires plexiglass for reasons of weight. Be careful in transport. I once forgot to measure the size of an elevator and had to walk the frame up eight stories. Didn't need a H5D, I needed O2.

My favorite size is 45" x 30" because it is large enough to be impressive, but still relatively easy to frame and transport. You can still buy museum glass and standard matte materials without extra cost.  I shoot architecture and landscapes and for those sizes you can print and still inspect closely at a viewing distance of one foot and it looks great. Will Leica produce the 008 with more resolution, sure, for marketing reasons, not because we need it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My largest print with S2 photos I made on Canvas with Epson 9900 was 44 by more than 120 inches.

Another one (stitched) about 22" by about 200". 

Many others a little bit smaller. Not that panorama-like. 

And all look great and people who have them enjoy them.