Third Party battery for CL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Perhaps this topic had been addressed beforehand.

I would like to know if these batteries can be used for CL:

The battery is branded as DiviPower made by iCm Photography (China) - sold as compatible Panasonic DMW-BLC12PP rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery for Panasonic Lumix cameras.

They are rated at 7.4V 2500mAh, higher than Leica's battery BP-DC12 rated at 7.2V 1200mAh.

They are priced at 20% of the original.

But I am not sure if the extra 0.2V will be OK for the CL circuitry?

Thanks for your advice and thoughts.

Benedict.

I searched amazon and I got wasabi, I have 6 batteries from wasabi for my Sony A7R and A6000 and also another model for the GoPro. they are very good no issues for 3 years now. Maybe Wasabi will be better third party if not oem source https://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-DMW-BLC12E-DMW-BLC12PP-DMC-FZ1000/dp/B0051PLPM6/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1511744875&sr=8-3-fkmr1&keywords=Panasonic+DMW-BLC12PP+batteries

• Like 1

I searched amazon and I got wasabi, I have 6 batteries from wasabi for my Sony A7R and A6000 and also another model for the GoPro. they are very good no issues for 3 years now. Maybe Wasabi will be better third party if not oem source https://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-DMW-BLC12E-DMW-BLC12PP-DMC-FZ1000/dp/B0051PLPM6/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1511744875&sr=8-3-fkmr1&keywords=Panasonic+DMW-BLC12PP+batteries

Thank you Tony,

I will google to find out more on Wasabi battery.

I wouldn't use batteries that are specified so much higher  than the original ones, the internal resistance might be completely different.  I have very good experiences with Jupio  batteries on Panasonic.

• Like 1

I wouldn't use batteries that are specified so much higher  than the original ones, the internal resistance might be completely different.  I have very good experiences with Jupio  batteries on Panasonic.

Your view and experience is really appreciated.

Certainly it is a risk to go away from the original specifications, even if they are on the "good to have" side.

It may be too rich for the CL.

Thanks.

I've had mixed experience with Wasabi.  Used them for an older Olympus replacement.  The chargers wouldn't interoperate*, and the lower cost seemed to partly result from lack of safety circuits.  Since then I have seen people swear by them.  Check for recent recommendations, as these things change.  Also don't expect to pay mfr's list on the CL batteries, as shops also get them indirectly and should stand behind what they sell.

*Wasabi charger wouldn't charge Olympus battery and vice versa.

• Like 1

I've never heard of anybody voiding warranty by using a different battery.. I rather doubt whether the refusal would be tenable under consumer law, unless the replacement battery exceeded the official specification.

• Like 1

I'm not sure that spending thousands on a camera and then scrimping on rechargeable batteries is a good strategy ......  :rolleyes:

Thanks and i certainly agree it is not clever to scrimp on the battery cost after the heavy outlay for the camera.

I was looking at the spec of the third party battery and was attracted by the high capacity of 2500mAh that theoratically means longer shooting capacity, everything else equal.

However the 7.4v is higher than Leica's 7.2v. And the QC of third party battery is unknown.

I do not deny the attraction of possible savings of about US$60/- per battery.

However this should not be the driving factor.

In short, i have just ordered an extra leica battery with the CL.

Appreciates all your views.

• 4 months later...

Yes, it has been addressed before. As this is more or less a generic battery, there are plenty of alternatives. I like Jupio batteries, but any battery that is suitable for Panasonic GX8 should work. I have the charger you linked to as well. Very happy with it.

The second one linked to has a lower capacity, BTW.

• Like 1

Yes, it has been addressed before. As this is more or less a generic battery, there are plenty of alternatives. I like Jupio batteries, but any battery that is suitable for Panasonic GX8 will work. I have the charger you linked to as well. Very happy with it.

My apologies, but I am in the process of replacing my macbook pro battery, and have read horror stories of replacement non OEM batteries frying the logic board. So I'm being cautious and prudent. 

At any rate, I assume this is the battery you mean

https://www.amazon.com/DSTE-Replacement-DMC-FZ2500-DMC-FZ2000-DMW-BLC12E/dp/B00MEAMBQU/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524508520&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=Jupio+battery+for+gx8

Can either the Jupio or Wasabi batteries be charged with the charger for the leica? 

Anyway, thanks for your reply. 

My apologies, but I am in the process of replacing my macbook pro battery, and have read horror stories of replacement non OEM batteries frying the logic board. So I'm being cautious and prudent. 

https://www.amazon.com/DSTE-Replacement-DMC-FZ2500-DMC-FZ2000-DMW-BLC12E/dp/B00MEAMBQU/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524508520&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=Jupio+battery+for+gx8

Can either the Jupio or Wasabi batteries be charged with the charger for the leica? 

if you buy other batteries, get some with a charger (Wasabi has a deal on Amazon of 2 batteries and a charger). practically any charger is smaller, lighter, and faster than the one Leica supplies. also, the Leica charger has a weird counter-intuitive light; it starts out green and then goes off when the battery's fully charged.

Leica batteries are manufactured by Panasonic Energy (Wuxi) Co.,Ltd. This is stated on the label of the official Leica battery supplied with the CL and  also on page 95 of the CL instruction booklet. The Leica charger appears to be identical, apart from the labelling to the charger supplied with my Panasonic G80. As Leica gets their batteries from Panasonic you could make a modest saving by buying a Panasonic battery at £50 instead of a Leica version at £75 but I am happy to use the much less expensive alternatives.

• Like 1

Yes they can; I use an eclectic mix if chargers and batteries and they all work together. One can overthink these things.

• Like 1

I followed Jaap's advice and bought 2 Jupio batteries. One did not hold its charge and over a week or so not in use, would drop to one bar. Jupio replaced it with no quibbles and as they wanted the original back for testing and evaluation, arranged for a new battery to be waiting at a local camera shop, where I could drop off the faulty one. You cannot send lithium ion batteries through UK post. The replacement battery works just fine. I have had problems with Hähnel batteries being slightly incorrectly dimensioned, so that they did not clip in firmly and would not buy them again. 

Wilson