Leica M10 with Canon 50mm f0.95

walkingphotographer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I asked Amedeo Meletti to modify my Canon 50mm f0.95 with M mount.

Have a look at https://eoloperfido.com/blog/canon-50mm-095

The lens at 0.95 is quite "soft" but on the M10 in this configuration looks so cool :-)

Bye !

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12

I have used the the Canon 50mm ƒ0.95 since it was introduced, twice on the Canon RF and (gasp) 4 conversions for the Leica M. It took four tries to get one that focused properly. (I do not have an EVF.)

Thanks for the photos!

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

Here`s mine  :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The lens at 0.95 is quite "soft" but on the M10 in this configuration looks so cool :-)

You are not kidding! If that last photo is in focus then the lens is exceedingly soft because it appears to be far from sharp even on the web.

I sold mine to fund the Nocti 0.95 and keep looking for another. Kick myself every time!

So what will you be doing, if you find another "Dream Lens" ?  Sell the Nocti or keep both ?  How would you describe the Nocti in comparison with the Canon lens ?

For those with the ƒ0.95 wanting a ventes lens shade, just go to the big auction site and under cameras, search for:

lens (shade,hood) vented 72mm

I have a couple. They fit and work well.

(Original shades for the lens go for ~$500usd. insane prices.)

Edited by pico

So what will you be doing, if you find another "Dream Lens" ?  Sell the Nocti or keep both ?  How would you describe the Nocti in comparison with the Canon lens ?

I'm watching for the right lens at the right price.  When I find, I will probably buy one, but then again, having to explain that to Mrs. will be fun fun fun lol.  Honestly I'm waiting for My M9 to come back from Leica NJ, probably sell the SL/90-240 rig that I got in place of and then fund a Canon 0.95.  

It doesn't have to be that much. My current copy is the best of the 3 I have owned and was slightly less than half that price at current exchange rates. And that was on eBay less than a year ago, although it did require a bit of patience. Whether one is willing to spend even that kind of money for this lens is an entirely different story - but it can produce truly unique results.

And btw, yes, wide open my current copy can also be noticeably sharper in the center than the OP's picture, but my previous copies weren't (or perhaps only marginally), and the DOF at 0.95 is so thin anyway that missing perfect focus is very easy, particularly with a subject that lives and breathes.

I'm watching for the right lens at the right price.  When I find, I will probably buy one, but then again, having to explain that to Mrs. will be fun fun fun lol.  Honestly I'm waiting for My M9 to come back from Leica NJ, probably sell the SL/90-240 rig that I got in place of and then fund a Canon 0.95.  

A lot of those Canon ƒ0.95 lenses are for TV cameras. They do not have the focus cam the others have. If you look at the rear element of the rangefinder coupled versions you will see that the lens has a cut-out in the glass which allows the focus cam to work.

I have no idea how the TV versions can focus on any M without EVF.

Edited by pico

I own the TV lens (see picture above). No cut-out in the glas and no problems at all with focusing.  Anyway I use the EVF, mostly due to the shallow DOF.

That does not tell us whether it focuses properly via the rangefinder. Does it?

• 1 month later...

Very interesting posts! Reviving this thread as im in the market for a 0.95. I have a specific question on the markings of the lens. There seems to be a debate on the TV vs Non-tv lens. Some are saying that the TV inscription refers to a coating. Others mention its really a cine lens. Many contradictory blogs out there. Can anyone help me figure it out? I would buy a non modified version to try with other camera systems first and then maybe have it adaptes to the M. Apologies if this is answered on the forum somewhere! I did do a search. Kind regards and a happy new year to all from Barbados.