New in box M9

Martin Horne

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another quick update. Have had a good response from Leica UK. The camera was sent to them in July 2017 for a sensor examination and clean and the tech who completed the work has mailed me today and confirmed that the senor was fine and showed no signs of corrosion. If it had it would have been returned to Germany by them for replacement.

They are also going to deregister the camera and register to me which is helpful. They also confirmed the availability and cost of potential sensor replacement down the line and that I will be able to access replacement even though I'm not the original owner. Lets hope I never have to take this up. 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Another quick update. Have had a good response from Leica UK. The camera was sent to them in July 2017 for a sensor examination and clean and the tech who completed the work has mailed me today and confirmed that the senor was fine and showed no signs of corrosion. If it had it would have been returned to Germany by them for replacement.

They are also going to deregister the camera and register to me which is helpful. They also confirmed the availability and cost of potential sensor replacement down the line and that I will be able to access replacement even though I'm not the original owner. Lets hope I never have to take this up. 

Sounds like a result there Martin. Enjoy your new camera, I have recently bought into the Leica with an M9 (recently replaced sensor but not Mint) and 35mm Summicron and am over the moon. BTW my 35mm came from Leica Manchester, great to deal with.

• 3 weeks later...

I know have the camera and it is as advertised. As new in box and 234 actuations - its a 2010 model going by the serial number.

The instruction pack is unopened and all of the warranty cards are there although unfortunately not completed (although i'd imagine this is moot given the age of the camera). I'm talking to Leica about the status of the camera and registering it and have had a positive response so far and have arranged to make a trip to Leica Manchester (who have been very helpful) to have the sensor checked. If its duff it will unfortunately go back under guarantee if not I'll keep it and use it for as long as I can.

I've also asked Leica UK about getting the sensor changed in the future and what my/the camera's status will be too and am hoping for a sympathetic response given the camera appears to have been unused for most of its life - lets see...

Hoping for  a good outcome from my visit to Manchester and then saving for a lens instead of a sensor..

Thank you for all of the advice - I do appreciate I may be taking a risk. Thank you for informing it.

I really hope you enjoy the camera, which does produce lovely images. I believe prices will remain as they are or better because of the CCD sensor, and will not be influenced by M10 sales. However, please don't be nieve about support from Leica on a 7 year old camera. Time is more relevant than actuations when it comes to corrosion or cracking (mine suffered the latter), but the good news is if you do get it changed as far as we know the sensors being fitted now are corrosion proof.

• Like 1