Thoughts on Leica's APS-C System

Wojtek

That really is an interesting question - I don't know the answer, but I wouldn't have thought it was out of the question - it is big!

I am assuming big throat gives more flexibility to the designers even for smaller sensor. As for size, it will be interesting to compare L mount size to X1D. I could not find spec anywhere.

I think there was a legal issue about the ownership of T . . 

But beyond that I don't think it's haphazard, I guess the mount should be called L, so that SL = full frame TL = APS-C . . sounds good to me.

What is good is that instead of Sony (who designed a small APS-C mount and then used it for full frame) Leica designed a large mount for full frame and used it for APS-C as well.

So even though the T came out before the SL, Leica had full frame in mind? Interesting and something I didn't know....

Gordon

• Like 1

So even though the T came out before the SL, Leica had full frame in mind? Interesting and something I didn't know....

Gordon

It was not by accident that the T-APSC mount became the SL-FF Mount! Of course, Sony had set a good example by then  :p

Back in those early days quite a few people were sure the mount was not big enough for FF, even though it was larger than Sonys FE mount ...  :lol:

Looking at what used to be known as the T mount, one might think that it’s obvious.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Chaemono
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm not sure about this aps-c system idea. It seems to me that we have two interchangeable lens systems, M and L. Although R lenses can be adapted to the M it is a cumbersome arrangement. The SL / CL / T can use lenses designed for all three mounts. I'm not clear whether Leica is now predominantly a fashion brand or, for users like me at least, a sophisticated high end photographic instrument. The fate of the T, which for me is now redundant, will be telling in this regard.

I have just augmented my SL with a CL. The SL is used almost exclusively with R-mount lenses while the CL will be with M-mount ones. This is a choice based purely on size of the pairings. However, in the event of an accident they are interchangeable. I have little interest in the AF lenses, particularly those designed for the aps-c bodies, although the 24-90 SL beckons for tripod based work.

I have been blown away by the quality of results from these two bodies, to the extent that everything else has been sent away for sale apart from a Sony A7, with a couple of lenses, which will be used exclusively in studio because of its C1Pro tethering capabilities.

Edited by Waterden
  • Like 1

pity the 18mm 2.8 will default to 10mp/APS-C on the SL...would have been a nice lens for the SL at 24MP_FF

Try it.  I have used TL lenses on my SL, and the results are very good.  It wasn't so long ago that 10mp was top of the line size.  I'm not saying that you shouldn't use FF lenses on an SL.  But sometimes dropping down to 10mp is worth it to achieve a lighter and more compact system to carry around.   APS-C results with CL should be better than 10mp results with SL but in many situations it won't matter.  One of the first things I will do out of curiosity when I get my CL is to compare results with both cameras with the superb 23mm TL.