Loose Aperture ring on 50mm APO Normal or Refund ?

chanakit

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there

I'm new to the forum and I have recently purchased two lenses and one camera 

I been using m9 for 4 years and Yes, I'm impressed by the new Leica M10 and two new lenses.

Unfortunately, when I been playing around with my 50 MM Apo for the first time, I spot the aperture ring is loose. 

it also rattles when I hold it and move up and down or touch it with more applied force. 

I have read Steve huff review. he also mentioned that he needed to send this lens back to Leica in order to tighten the barrel ring up.

However, I'm quite worried about it as the lens is very expensive and now I'm asking my dealer if they can do anything better off 

I would like here the experience from the gentleman or lady here ;)

Anyone one here faced this issue before or its normal? 

all advice and answer would be really appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. Mine rattles a bit as well but so does my 35/1.4 FLE and earlier lenses like 90/2 v3 and others i don't remember. I would not worry about that but i would not accept a loose aperture ring nor would i agree to wait several weeks for a fix. If this lens is new, your dealer must replace it for free or refund you IMHO.

Loose aperture ring too common on the 50 APO Summicron, and apparently on some other more recent releases. Not sure why. I rented one to test against my 50 Summilux ASPH, and the aperture ring was extremely loose. Same on a second sample I handled at a dealer.

I also didn't care for the lack of a fully knurled focus ring, which results from the compact design. And that compactness also places the aperture ring very close to the focus ring. I prefer the handling and ergonomics of my Summilux. Both lenses excel optically.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I don’t have the 50 APO but I do have the 35FLE and it is exactly as you describe, loose aperture ring and a slight rattle (floating elements). It really concerned me / bothered me initially but I’ve gotten over it to be honest. I might look into getting it fixed eventually but it works just fine as-is.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have had exceptionally poor experiences with Leica’s service department (in the US) so I’m going to continue using it as is until I feel it’s necessary to get fixed. The focus is perfectly accurate which matters most to me.

I have had exceptionally poor experiences with Leica’s service department (in the US) so I’m going to continue using it as is until I feel it’s necessary to get fixed. The focus is perfectly accurate which matters most to me.

Send it to DAG (Don Goldberg). Fair price, quick return. Call ahead. Sherry Krauter is another option, close to Leica NJ, but better service.

Jeff

I have 50 Cron, 35 Summarit and 40 Rokkor. All three ratle, all three have light aperture ring to click. All three purchased like new or new. 

Loose is vague term. I like light aperture rings instead of Zeiss like. It allows me to fiddle the lens with one finger on focus tab and another on the aperture ring, not to wrestle it with the grip and wrist like on Zeiss.

Mmm... there seems to be a pattern here.

Not the 50 APO, but I just treated myself to the 50/1.4 E43 black chrome - Xmas is coming after all...

The aperture ring was slightly loose and clunky straight out of the box, as if it hasn't been properly tightened and/or greased during assembly.

I have sent it back to Leica Switzerland because they indicated they would probably be able to fix it quickly without sending it back to the mothership.

We'll see.

Leica Switzerland offers excellent service. They are the reason I buy Leica lenses and not Zeiss or Voigtländer (with one or two exceptions).

They have solved all my issues with lenses and M cameras, usually within less than a week.

Agree - always responsive and efficient, as you would expect.

Had the same issue with mine right from the start. I passingly mentioned this to the technician at the much-maligned Leica NJ as I waited to pick up my repaired MM; he asked to see it and returned 15 minutes later with the ring properly tightened. Just in time for the MM and its new sensor.

FWIW, my E43 50/1.4 just got back home and I'm pleased to report that the aperture ring now behaves properly.

The fix itself probably took a few minutes indeed, as the repair summary sheet indicates 0.75 hours in total and includes all sorts of other ancillary tasks (checking, cleaning, etc.).

4 days away, of which the vast majority was spent in transit.

Thank you Leica Switzerland!

I finally met my dealer. 

they said this is very normal for APO.

They ensure I will have so much fun with it w/o any issue.

however, if the rainy day comes, AD will address this easily.

I dont know what I have to do.  Probably just play with it with ease. but you know 7xxx USD lens with poor QC 

Seems like rattling is a fact of life at Wetzlar. Tried to get rid of it on a Summicron 90/2 v3 and the lens was returned with no rattling anymore but with less positive click stops. Mater of grease perhaps i have no idea but i prefer rattling with positive click stops.