Focus Peaking

Guest VVJ

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 minutes ago, Dopaco said:

I guess the M or R lenses must have the 6 bit code and if they don't, you need to transform it. (I don't know if there will be an adapter for it)

Many M lenses can be 6-bit coded including your Elmarit 28/2.8 if it is this one : https://tinyurl.com/y8ktby4b. What i don't understand is why you need such a coding on your TL2. The CL does not require any coding to trigger focus magnification. Works fine with all my M and LTM lenses since an Elmar 35/3.5 from 1948. Seems like TL2 and CL are too different cameras for me to help you sorry. 

The same thing happens to me as @ Greg61 with his CL, I with the TL2, in this thread: 

About what you say that TL2 and CL are too different cameras, it's true but I think they share more things that separate them.

I also manage to take photos with the LMT objectives of my Leica IIIF and with a little practice I can achieve ease.
What I am missing is not getting the help of the automatic magnification or the Focus Peankong that they say these 2 CL and TL cameras have ...

Right now I have taken a photo with the Leitz (M39) Elmar 3.5cm, f3.5 lens from 1935 that is with 86 years behind him and it continues to work. To focus, I rely on the distances marked on the lens and move the focus distance ring slightly and when I see the subject clearly enough, I press the shutter button fully:

Leica TL2+Elmarit 3,5cm F3.5 (1935).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Dopaco
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dopaco said:

The same thing happens to me as @ Greg61 with his CL, I with the TL2, in this thread [...]

Not sure to understand, perhaps my poor english sorry... What did not work for Greg61 is auto image magnification but it's normal with manual lenses. With manual lenses, coded or not, suffice it to turn a dial to trigger image magnification. I mean on the CL with Leica adapter. With non Leica adapters, one has to use the arrows for that. But in any case image magnification does work on the CL. It should on the TL2 too so i don't understand your problem, sorry again.

Edited by lct

8 hours ago, lct said:

Not sure to understand, perhaps my poor english sorry... What did not work for Greg61 is auto image magnification but it's normal with manual lenses. With manual lenses, coded or not, suffice it to turn a dial to trigger image magnification. I mean on the CL with Leica adapter. With non Leica adapters, one has to use the arrows for that. But in any case image magnification does work on the CL. It should on the TL2 too so i don't understand your problem, sorry again.

Thank you for your answers.
My English is terrible and I apologize, that must be the main reason why I don't understand myself well.

With TL2 I have not had a problem focusing in manual (MF) with all the M lenses I have, but I wanted to try the other ways that are indicated in the manual. If I research it, I will surely get it.

How could automatic image magnification possibly work on an M lens? - a TL or CL has no rangefinder coupling, so there is no way for the camera to know whether you are turning the focus ring. 

Focus magnification can be triggered either by turning a wheel (with the Leica M adapter) or by using the arrow buttons (with any other M adapter).

• Like 3

On 11/26/2017 at 3:52 AM, Guest VVJ said:

To (ex-) TL2 owners, does focus peaking on the CL work better than on the TL2?

I have no experience using a TL2 so I cannot say whether one is 'better' than the other. 

However, I find the focus peaking on the CL to be useful per what it was designed to be: a way to quickly dial in approximate focus based upon contrast/edge detection, and to be used in conjunction with DoF management for video capture. It's display overlay is fine enough that with most lenses, in most situations, I can use it without it occluding the view too badly for casual shooting. For critical focusing, I switch FP off and, depending on the lens and situation, I either use no aids and/or use focus magnification to verify that I've nailed the critical plane of focus. 

I use only M or R mount lenses on the CL, so focus magnification is always manually selected. (On my Hasselblad 907x, I have the option of automatic FM with X series lenses, and I leave it off most of the time because I find it gets in the way and distracts me..)

G

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1