Leica TL2 : LCD screen and AF questions

parasko

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I"m considering buying a Leica TL2 which I want to use to take photos in the same way that I do with my IPhone for street photography. That is, touch screen focus only and most of the time I use burst mode to be able to nail the shot in terms of people moving into the scene.

Questions:

1. Is the quality of the LCD on the TL2 comparable to a smartphone (I'm using an Iphone 7 plus currently)?

2. Does the TL2 have a 'continuous shooting' option or only single shot? I couldn't find this in the specs.

3. Can you program the camera to choose the focus point and take the shot simultaneously by a single tap on the screen? Or do you have to tap on screen to choose focus point and then press shutter button?

4. Is the AF fast enough for street photography?

5. I would be buying this camera with the new pancake 18mm lens. Would I be able to get maximum depth of field with this combo, as with a smartphone? That is, I want everything to be completely and equally in focus from foreground to background. I do not want shallow depth of field.

I have looked at other cameras (Sony, Fuji etc) but the larger LCD screen is the main attraction with this camera so that it is similar to an iphone experience but better image quality.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Parasko

I had a look at the 6500 in the store but it didn't appeal. I wasn't impressed by the screen as it looked a bit dark and poor in sunlight (and it also felt a bit like using a computer rather than a camera to do photography). I am considering the TL2 mainly because of the larger screen. Unfortunately none of the stores had a TL2 in stock so I haven't had a chance to play around with one up close.

Edited by parasko

Questions:

1. Is the quality of the LCD on the TL2 comparable to a smartphone (I'm using an Iphone 7 plus currently)?

The display of the TL2 is very good, I also own a Iphone 7+, I have not directly compared but I find the TL2 is very good and the size is a clear advantage over some other cameras

2. Does the TL2 have a 'continuous shooting' option or only single shot? I couldn't find this in the specs.

yes it has

3. Can you program the camera to choose the focus point and take the shot simultaneously by a single tap on the screen? Or do you have to tap on screen to choose focus point and then press shutter button?

you can do it either way, there is an option - so you can choose

4. Is the AF fast enough for street photography?

TL2 AF has become faster, but there are still other cameras which focus faster

5. I would be buying this camera with the new pancake 18mm lens. Would I be able to get maximum depth of field with this combo, as with a smartphone? That is, I want everything to be completely and equally in focus from foreground to background. I do not want shallow depth of field.

Due to sensor size (which is much bigger than a cell phone) you might get some shallow DOF at very close distances, but if you close the f-stop a little I would expect you get a lot DOF with such a wide lens.

I have looked at other cameras (Sony, Fuji etc) but the larger LCD screen is the main attraction with this camera so that it is similar to an iphone experience but better image quality.

I could imageine that the TL2 might work very well for what you want/looking for.

• Like 1

Thanks Tom. That's very helpful.

Is the screen quite responsive to touch in terms of tapping on the desired AF point or is there lag? I will never be using the camera for sports/action shots but I'm just trying to gauge whether it will focus accurately on people walking into a scene...typical street photography stuff!

Also, are you able to hold the camera in one hand and use the other to choose the focus point/take the shot via touchscreen? I read that as there is no real grip, the camera can be slippery and you need to be holding it with both hands to get accurate shots.

Edited by parasko

Is the screen quite responsive to touch in terms of tapping on the desired AF point or is there lag? I will never be using the camera for sports/action shots but I'm just trying to gauge whether it will focus accurately on people walking into a scene...typical street photography stuff!

Also, are you able to hold the camera in one hand and use the other to choose the focus point/take the shot via touchscreen? I read that as there is no real grip, the camera can be slippery and you need to be holding it with both hands to get accurate shots.

I don't use in the way you describe, but the camera can be held in 2 hands and either hand can then touch the area of focus, much like the youth are able to text on their phones with both thumbs.  

Although do-able, it would be a tad more awkward to hold the camera with one hand and hit the focus point with the other.

Edited by ropo54

The TL2 body sits good in my hand , it does have kind of a grip. But there is not coating at all. I dont find it slippery, but there is no leather or coating. An option is to use a cover.

I would say with the light lenses like the 23/2.0 (I assume 18 is even better) it is fine to hold it with one hand. 18-56 is also ok. When using the tele lens or 60 Macro I would rather hold one hand lens and other hand the camera.

I find the touch AF fine in regards of responsivness. I still would recommend to check it out yourseld in a store before buying.

With the TL2 and 18mm lens, you'll have plenty of depth of field with usable aperture, shutter and ISO for almost all situations.  That combination will be compact and pocketable, and will actually feel nice in the hand.  Holding the camera in the right hand and taping Touch AF & Release (found in the menu) works a treat.

I often use my TL2 with a Summaron-M 28/5.6, which is a little larger than the 18mm pancake & adapter, but not by much.  It's a manual focus lens, but the depth of field with that lens is huge, so at f/5.6 or f/8, I hardly need to focus at all.  It's pocketable without the EVF, and reasonably discrete.

Good luck!

John