Anyone else seeing this with C1 ? Bad highlights ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi.

I'm having some trouble in some shooting situations with highlight transitions from near clipping to clipping.  They're being contaminated by a colour cast, a sort of yellow / pink.

When I open the same images in LR they don't have this issue.

I have opened a support ticket with Phase One, but I was wondering if anyone else is seeing this, or indeed, if anyone's seeing it when they open my images ?

I have here some original DNG's and screenshots of what I'm seeing.

I have added a light of highlight recover to show what I'm seeing, but it's often there without any highlight recovery, or only a small drop of overall exposure

I expect that clipped highlights will be just that and not recoverable, but the colour cast doesn't seem right.

Thanks !

JB

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1CPS_l4Xxm5KatDHfoUyxhXTjZRFMYGQR?usp=sharing

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by JohnBrawley

Looks like blown highlights that one has tried to recover with the HDR-slider. What irritates me is the histogramm of the picture that suggests that the highlights should be ok. Did you apply any adjustments or presets first?

Hi.

No the "generic M10" is what loads.

I pulled the Highlights down in an attempt to show it more clearly, but it's there even when you don't do anything to the image. 

JB

Looks like blown highlights that one has tried to recover with the HDR-slider. What irritates me is the histogramm of the picture that suggests that the highlights should be ok. Did you apply any adjustments or presets first?

Here's the same file with no corrections at all.

so you had pushed the highlight-slider in the HDR-tool +40, and get that strange colors, that looks nomal to me. I can't judge about the highlight-colors in the second screenshot where you set the slider back to 0 due to the restricted picturesize in this forum but you shouldn't see that colorcast any more. As I use C1 like you I'm used to this. I leave the highlight unrecovered to avoid such colorshifts. If you need you can try to change the colorcast with the help of some layers to apply some adjustments.

so you had pushed the highlight-slider in the HDR-tool +40, and get that strange colors, that looks nomal to me. I can't judge about the highlight-colors in the second screenshot where you set the slider back to 0 due to the restricted picturesize in this forum but you shouldn't see that colorcast any more. As I use C1 like you I'm used to this. I leave the highlight unrecovered to avoid such colorshifts. If you need you can try to change the colorcast with the help of some layers to apply some adjustments.

Hi.  

I do still see the exact same colour cast when the slider is at Zero, just not as prevalent.  I only set it higher to make it more obvious.

I can also get the same result simply by dropping the exposure slider 2/3 of a stop.

JB

Edited by JohnBrawley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

looks like over-exposure but LR handles that different. Did you check the presets for the exposure-tool? (sorry for that german version)

looks like over-exposure but LR handles that different. Did you check the presets for the exposure-tool? (sorry for that german version)

attachicon.gifZwischenablage01.jpg

It reports it as overexposed

BUT

I'm still seeing the yellow pink pollution when the image loads.

Perhaps you can load it from the link here ?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AmxZ7aj-l3Pgt_wxvCwx0rPc0UUSPAb3/view?usp=sharing

JB

Hi JB,

thanks for supplying the dng that helped clarifying and sorry for the time-zone delay. Sorry to say it is really overeposed and has some blown highlights. You could see that if you set the exposure-slider to -0.7 and then some peaks appear in the histogramm shifting in from the right. Actually I cannot provide some links to information about the nature of the colorcast but I had read some in the web. It is realy difficult to recover or get the color fixed with layers. I leave such areas unrecovered or even don't use the picture at all.

were you shooting into the morning sun ?

a flare could explain the burnt center & warmer tone on the sides

add an adjustment layer for the orange stuff..and tweak its colors with the vector color editor..probably have to narrow the selection area in the color editor a lot else it will select the orange jacket as well...i tried it with a few selections and it looked fine

Hi.

I'm having some trouble in some shooting situations with highlight transitions from near clipping to clipping.  They're being contaminated by a colour cast, a sort of yellow / pink.

When I open the same images in LR they don't have this issue.

I have opened a support ticket with Phase One, but I was wondering if anyone else is seeing this, or indeed, if anyone's seeing it when they open my images ?

I have here some original DNG's and screenshots of what I'm seeing.

I have added a light of highlight recover to show what I'm seeing, but it's often there without any highlight recovery, or only a small drop of overall exposure

I expect that clipped highlights will be just that and not recoverable, but the colour cast doesn't seem right.

Thanks !

JB

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1CPS_l4Xxm5KatDHfoUyxhXTjZRFMYGQR?usp=sharing

Edited by frame-it

Hi JB,

thanks for supplying the dng that helped clarifying and sorry for the time-zone delay. Sorry to say it is really overeposed and has some blown highlights. You could see that if you set the exposure-slider to -0.7 and then some peaks appear in the histogramm shifting in from the right. Actually I cannot provide some links to information about the nature of the colorcast but I had read some in the web. It is realy difficult to recover or get the color fixed with layers. I leave such areas unrecovered or even don't use the picture at all.

Hi, thanks for looking.

I totally understand the image is overexposed.  What I'm wondering is why the detail in NOT YET CLIPPED BUT NEARLY ALMOST CLIPPED highlights are doing this.

On any other camera I have, as we move towards clipping, the images goes white.  There may be no detail, but it doesn't change colour.  

To me the issue is that the highlights are changing colour as they near clipping.  Do you see this with other cameras ?  

To be sure, I'm stating what I see...

an overexposed image with unrecoverable highlights seems to have a yellowish tint before I even attempt to do any correction of the image.  Attempting to do any highlight recovery makes this issue even more prominent.

Also strange to me, is that this doesn't happen with Lightroom.

I'm used to being able to correct overexposed highlights by letting them clip, but if they don't clip white then something is surely wrong ?

JB

were you shooting into the morning sun ?

a flare could explain the burnt center & warmer tone on the sides

add an adjustment layer for the orange stuff..and tweak its colors with the vector color editor..probably have to narrow the selection area in the color editor a lot else it will select the orange jacket as well...i tried it with a few selections and it looked fine

This was evening but not really direct sun.  It's not a flare.  In the linked folder you'll see 10 DNG's that all have the same issue.  I went out specifically to look for this issue as it's bitten me a few times.

I'm not used to having to do an additional layer on highlights to make them white when every other camera I've ever used clips white.

As I mentioned, I don't see this in LR.  I'm just hoping to confirm others see the same issue in their C1 and to see if it's something specifically wrong with my setup.

Thanks!

JB

• Like 1

its very visible in Capture 1

This was evening but not really direct sun.  It's not a flare.  In the linked folder you'll see 10 DNG's that all have the same issue.  I went out specifically to look for this issue as it's bitten me a few times.

I'm not used to having to do an additional layer on highlights to make them white when every other camera I've ever used clips white.

As I mentioned, I don't see this in LR.  I'm just hoping to confirm others see the same issue in their C1 and to see if it's something specifically wrong with my setup.

Thanks!

JB