Any Regrets with Your Leica Q?

lencap

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My only minor complaint is that the metal lens cap will not reliably stay on the lens. Easy to lose and expensive to replace.

I don’t use it so I can’t lose it. I simply don’t see the need for the cap. The hood is excellent. I do use a UV filter in front of the lens. It works for me.

I've been trying to decide on the LCD protector.  It seems a bit smaller than the screen itself, and there is a small (but annoying) bubble in the covering.  It seems as if it would contain glare, but the matte finish seems to take away some image clarity and contrast.

I don't want to just take it off until I have more experience with the camera, but I welcome your thoughts.  I've scanned the forum and realize that there are other alternatives to the Leica protector, but my preference would be to have no protector at all. 

​Thoughts, Comments?

Thanks again

I've been trying to decide on the LCD protector.  It seems a bit smaller than the screen itself, and there is a small (but annoying) bubble in the covering.  It seems as if it would contain glare, but the matte finish seems to take away some image clarity and contrast.

I don't want to just take it off until I have more experience with the camera, but I welcome your thoughts.  I've scanned the forum and realize that there are other alternatives to the Leica protector, but my preference would be to have no protector at all. 

​Thoughts, Comments?

Thanks again

I'd say it depends on how you use your cameras. When I'm shooting, I'm usually using 3-4, sometimes 5 bodies with different lenses on them, so all my cameras have screen protectors. I realize I'm probably the exception, but you'd be surprised at the many things you hadn't thought of happening that can leave scratches on your screen. Once it's scratched, there's no remedy. If you don't like the Leica one (which I use for no particular reason except I knew it would fit precisely, and it was easy to get at my local Leica store) there are many alternatives. I use the 3-layer glass ones on my M9s and Nikons, they're crystal clear and very strong. I forget the name of the maker. There's quite a long thread in the forum on screen protectors. My advice - get one you can live with.

I use the Leica Q screen protector. It is a matte finish, but it works fine for me. Gives me a chance to be even more delighted when I see the larger image on my main 27” monitor.

I use Schott glass on my Canon 5D3. It’s clear. Works well.

Personal preference, but I do think LCD’s are pretty vulnerable to scratches. Just rubbing against a belt buckle or shirt button can leave marks.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

be sure you really want the Leica M - Q is so much better with 28mm and 35mm....

I agree wholeheartedly.  I love my Q, so the final decision regarding a Leica M is going to be based on dollars and sense (pun intended).  I have a pretty cool setup as it is, so "sense" will undoubtedly win, especially as I really don't have 10-grand plus to spare.  Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

My only minor complaint is that the metal lens cap will not reliably stay on the lens.  Easy to lose and expensive to replace.

I agree that the lens cap is too loose. I keep the hood attached full-time, but I still like the added protection of a cap.

Disliked lens cap so replaced with B&W clear filter, often leave this on when using the Q as pic quality seems unaffected.

cap kept falling off so did the same, put on a B&W clear filter plus hood and thats it ..... not even where the cap is at this point .... quality totally unaffected...

As much as I love the Q, I did not know that it actually seems to shoot a bit wider than 28mm. I've compared it to other 28mm lenses shot side-by-side and there is a difference. I only really noticed because there seems to be a bit more distortion at the edges than I'm used to seeing at 28mm (I shoot about 90% at 28mm so I think I'm hypersensitive to any minor differences). This does bother me a bit. 

• Like 1

Thanks again to everyone for the posts.

I'm still on the learning curve and would welcome any suggestions for "setup parameters" and other tips and tricks.  I've found a lengthy article by Thorsten Overgaard, along with an ebook he publishes, and I'm anxious for more.  Any thoughts?