Possible 28mm companion for a 50 Lux Asph

oldwino

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Which 28 would best compliment a soon to be purchased Lux 50?

The obvious answer would be the Lux 28, but it’s frightfully expensive. So probably not going to happen.

The 28 summicron? Would the rendering clash with the Lux 50?

The Elmarit 28? Too contrasty?

The Zeiss ZM 25 maybe? (I currently own this lens and I do like it. Just not sure it will play nice the the Lux 50)

Any thoughts? Compactness for travel is a concern...although I travel frequently with my pre-asph Lux 50 right now. I don’t mind the slight weight penalty in view of the results.

28 Summicron ASPH (version 1) has paired nicely with my 50 Summilux ASPH for many years. Version 2 should be equal or better, with less clumsy hood (I use one from the 35 Summilux).

Always best to rent, demo or borrow, and use with your own workflow, to decide. Handling and ergonomics matter, too.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

28 Summicron ASPH (version 1) has paired nicely with my 50 Summilux ASPH for many years. Version 2 should be equal or better, with less clumsy hood (I use one from the 35 Summilux).

Always best to rent, demo or borrow, and use with your own workflow, to decide. Handling and ergonomics matter, too.

Jeff

Yes, the ergonomics do matter. Perhaps I’m odd, but I find I love focus tabs on shorter focal lengths, but don’t like them on longer lenses.

Renting is probably a good idea.

Which 35 hood are you using on your v1 28?

Yes, the ergonomics do matter. Perhaps I’m odd, but I find I love focus tabs on shorter focal lengths, but don’t like them on longer lenses.

Renting is probably a good idea.

Which 35 hood are you using on your v1 28?

https://www.popflash.com/12589

There are many discussions here on this and other substitutes.

Jeff

Any thought of a Q? I use my M9P w 50 lux and the Q. I also have the 21 SE so it makes a nice combo If not the 28 2.8 is a nice lens. Small and lightweight. I sold mine but loved it. At the end of the day it's all personal preference. Good luck. You really can't go wrong w any option posted already.

Edited by JT07

28 & 50 is my favourite 2-lens set.  I completely agree that the 28 Summicron ASPH pairs and renders sympathetically with the 50 Summilux ASPH. The 28 Summilux is too big and expensive, the wider 2.0/28 gives you an a stop of hand-holding advantage compared with a 50 regardless, and the 28 Elmarit ASPH (lovely lens that it is) is too contrasty. 

I also agree that either v1 or v2 2.0/28 Summicron ASPH would be fine.  If you want to save the dollars then get v1 but if I was buying new now I'd get the current version.

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 1

I think that you have to know exactly whether you need an ultra fast lens or if a f/2 would be good enough considering the ISO performance of the M10. I have as well the 50mm Lux plus the 28mm Cron V2. And I think that it is a perfect combination. In very bad light conditions just switch to the 50mm. Further think of the difference in weight. The 28mm f/1.4 is "big" and "heavy" (for me anyway). Concerning V1 or V2 of the 28mm Cron there are many posts in the LUF. The V2 ist considered considerably improved in the edges. If technique matters to you then go for V2. 

• Like 1

And why? :-)

Why do I like my 28 Summilux?

I like the 28 field of view over the 35. The Summicron I had was nice, but when I got the Summilux, I found I preferred its colour rendition and its shallow depth of field can be an interesting option in such a wide field of view. You do need to be careful about the background as it can become nervous if it’s too busy.

Overall, I find the Summilux has a fresh rendition, which I like, and which goes nicely with the 50 Summilux. Sorry if that is all a bit vague. I don’t do lens testing, and I’m not really swayed by overly technical issues. When I buy a lens or camera, I read up what I can, look at the images and decide if it’s for me. I then tend to just use it, and try to understand how to make it work for me.

I hope this helps.

John

• Like 1

Which 28 would best compliment a soon to be purchased Lux 50? ...

I'm struggling with your use of the word complement here.  Do you want:

1) pictures that look similar from both lenses where only the focal length is different or are you

2) looking for contrasting pictures from the two lenses, for example, the 50/1.4 Summilux-M asph with the sharp, ultra-correct modern look of the current aspherical lenses and the 28 with a lower-contrast look of Mandler lenses so that you can select the 'look' that appeals for a particular subject?

If it's 1) then I'd suggest the 28/2 Summicron-M asph v2 or even the tiny 28/2.8 Elmarit-M asph.

If it's 2) then there is much more choice and I'd suggest one of: 28/5.6 Summaron (original or new); 28/2.8 Elmarit v1, 2, or 3; 28/6.3 Hektor; Voigtlænder 28/1.9 Ultron, or 28/3.5 Kobalux (or Aveneon - teh same lens under different badges).

Pete.

• Like 1

I'm struggling with your use of the word complement here.  Do you want:

1) pictures that look similar from both lenses where only the focal length is different or are you

2) looking for contrasting pictures from the two lenses, for example, the 50/1.4 Summilux-M asph with the sharp, ultra-correct modern look of the current aspherical lenses and the 28 with a lower-contrast look of Mandler lenses so that you can select the 'look' that appeals for a particular subject?

If it's 1) then I'd suggest the 28/2 Summicron-M asph v2 or even the tiny 28/2.8 Elmarit-M asph.

If it's 2) then there is much more choice and I'd suggest one of: 28/5.6 Summaron (original or new); 28/2.8 Elmarit v1, 2, or 3; 28/6.3 Hektor; Voigtlænder 28/1.9 Ultron, or 28/3.5 Kobalux (or Aveneon - teh same lens under different badges).

Pete,

I’m looking for a harmonious pair of lenses. Similar rendering.

• Like 1