CL and M10

kengai

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Interesting. Were the R cameras a bit fragile?

My F series Nikons (mostly FM & FM2) were bulletproof. I don’t know if anyone remembers the Nikon ads from National Geographic in the late 60s and early 70s - Chris Bonnington’s F3, Ken Russell’s Nikkormat etc - all brassed and beaten up. Mine were pretty knocked about. I got my FM2 serviced after the Africa trip to clean out the sand, but otherwise they never missed a beat.

I never felt quite so confident about the F5, I have to say. Too much electronic componentry.

I've still got two Nikon F's that I had in the late 1960's, used professionally back then and through the 70's too until superseded by F3's and F4's, ( the F4 is truly a great camera ).

Never had a hiccup with any of my Nikons, hardly ever serviced though perhaps they should have been more frequently but they all still work just fine.

I did a National Geographic expedition in the 80's, Nikon F's again were the cameras of choice. Bullet proof and always reliable.

Interesting. Were the R cameras a bit fragile?

My F series Nikons (mostly FM & FM2) were bulletproof. I don’t know if anyone remembers the Nikon ads from National Geographic in the late 60s and early 70s - Chris Bonnington’s F3, Ken Russell’s Nikkormat etc - all brassed and beaten up. Mine were pretty knocked about. I got my FM2 serviced after the Africa trip to clean out the sand, but otherwise they never missed a beat.

I never felt quite so confident about the F5, I have to say. Too much electronic componentry.

Yes, in fact, I think they were, except for the R3, that one was so mechanically stable that you could hammer nails with it. Actually, I never bought an R8 or R9 at the time, as they were so over-engineered that they were not really suitable for rough use and sandy conditions IMO.

I had to have them serviced after each trip and often the lens mount was out of true by using heavy tele-lenses on them and them having the combo slammed about in off-road vehicles or hiking. Leica had a nifty optical tool to check the alignment, and they reckoned that they could bend them back three times before they needed to replace the body shell. I think that the R7 was a bit better, so possibly the design was strengthened. Shutter/rewind block was another problem, rewind levers falling off and getting lost, the viewfinder screen retaining clip was weak , although that was an easy on-the-road repair by bending the clip back ,(if you didn't drop the screen in the sand) and I have probably forgotten a few. Still, the cameras were a joy to use and the lenses superior - and indestructable.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 1

Better to have 2 cameras which have compatible/inter-changeable equipment if you are intent on a second body as a spare or for different purposes. 

Keeping the TL2 as backup for the CL while traveling...

• Like 3

I see a good IQ the current Leica FF platform offers and which most of us are attracted to. So there is the M & SL. Both great platforms and like myself I happily have the M10 & SL. However I do not see myself carrying both camera out together as the total weight of M with M lenses (primes) plus SL with native zooms will mean I need to hire a donkey.

I will make my decision to carry one or the other.

With the arrival of the CL, I can see that CL + SL90-280mm combined with M10 with M21lux, M35lux, M90con in the same bag.

A donkey required for just under a pound (444g) difference between an SL and CL? And that ignores the weight of the grip likely needed for the CL with that big zoom.

You could probably equalize most of that with just a lighter bag or better strap or different carrying method.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Interesting comparisons of weight and bulk.........

On Friday I went to London with just the CL+Summaron 35/2.8 carried in a small bag (Fogg b-laika) slung over my shoulder, bandolier style. I kept having to check the bag hadn't been pickpocketed, it felt so light. I've never not felt the weight with a M or SL in a bag. Similarly today, walking around the centre of Cambridge; I normally use a wrist strap, but in the tourist and shopping crowds I gripped it in my hand: it was easy to grip and felt light (depends on your hand size though - Trump couldn't hold it).

Not a direct comparison with the CL but... Yesterday I went to a friend's graduation ceremony in the Senate House in Cambridge, with the brief to take some photos. No photos allowed in the building itself, and bags only allowed if smaller than 35x25cm (I have no idea what happened to the third dimension). In the fading afternoon light, I needed a flash, and reckoned I needed 35, 50 and 75 for groups and close-ups. Fitting that lot with the M240 in one bag risked tipping something expensive onto the floor while changing lenses. In the end I took the much maligned massive, heavy SL+24-90 combo and a Nikon SB28: smaller and much more convenient set up than the notionally smaller, lighter camera!

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 3

Perhaps you can imagine it in a constructive way, without judgment or stupidity involved?

One of the best photography teachers I ever met was fond of saying 'try it' when someone asked 'what do think if I...' or something similar.

We each have different styles, needs, tastes, etc. Not right or wrong. Cameras are tools to create; how boring if we had the same desired uses and creative outcomes.

Jeff

• Like 1