Help for a Leicaflex Mk2 lens mounting problem

ellisson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm having a problem mounting an elmarit-R 90mm version 2 lens to a Leicaflex Mk2 camera.  Its the protruding-battery-cover problem with the lens ring not quite clearing the edge of the battery cover.   I do not have an SL or SL2 camera for switching out the cover for use on the Mk2, but have contacted DAG to see if he has any spares available.  I've also considered buying a "Parts only" SL camera for a relatively small sum, just for the battery cover, but this seems wasteful if I'm not going to use the camera.  Are there some other solutions to this problem, which I anticipate may crop up again with some other second version lenses.  All help appreciated! 

I don't have that lens, but my 90 Summicron v2 just clears the battery cover. An SL cover does give a trace more clearance.

However, what battery are you using? I tried a CRIS 1.35V adapter with a common LR44 cell, and that is indeed too thick, and the Summicron 90 aperture just hits the battery cover. However the CRIS adapter with the proper 386 cell is thinner, and that works OK

• Like 1

Thanks, TomB.  I'm using a Duracell 625A silver oxide battery alone, which does extend the battery cover too far out for my 90 elmarit-R v2 lens.  A thinner battery may give enough clearance to mount the lens.  If I remove the battery and screw down the battery cover, the lens mounts fine, but without camera meter function. 

I contacted Don Goldberg about this, and he suggested filing or milling down a portion of the cover, which will then allow mounting of the v2 lens.  I'd tighten down the cover with battery in place, partially mount the lens, and then outline the portion of the cover to be removed.  Not much of the cover thickness would have to be filed or milled down.

But I like your idea of finding a thinner battery.  Perhaps another, slightly thinner battery like the 386 cell would do the trick.  

Edited by ellisson

Had the wrong battery number in my previous post, now corrected.  It is the Duracell 625A battery that does not permit adequate clearance with the cover in place.

I tried an SR44, smaller and thinner, but also 1.5 volt output.  That gives adequate clearance for mounting the 90 elmarit-R v2 lens.  

So it looks like using a thinner battery with a CRIS adapter for 1.35 conversion should work for mounting the V2 lens!   

The CRIS adapter and 386 should be the same thickness as a 625 (though I haven't measured). I asked about it because many try to use an LR44 or 357 cell with it, and they are too thick, so it would make the cover protrude more.

If the SR44 works, find a rubber o-ring the right size to fit over it an keep it centered in the compartment. That should work fine.