28mm Elmarit ASPH II image thread

stephengv

Shots with the M 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Again with the M

• Like 3

Shot in Manila Bay 

• Like 5

@Ole, very nice Pictures in your FlickR-Account and congratulation to you und your wife for your baby :)

Ich have the first version of the Leica Elmarit 2.8/28 Asph, but I change it into the new one because of the metal lens hood. The Elmarit 28 ist one of my favorite Lens.

Alcatraz

(USA, CA, San Francisco)

32689728286_6f46ae4dd9_b.jpg

Leica M (240) * Leica Elmarit 2.8/28 Asph v2 * NiK SEP2 * ISO 200 * f/3.4 * 1/250

• Like 6

@Ole, very nice Pictures in your FlickR-Account and congratulation to you und your wife for your baby :)

Ich have the first version of the Leica Elmarit 2.8/28 Asph, but I change it into the new one because of the metal lens hood. The Elmarit 28 ist one of my favorite Lens.

Thank you so much for your kind words Stefan :)

I was also evaluating whether to buy a second hand version 1 or a new version 2, and opted for the latter. Partly due to the lens hood which is fantastic, but partly also because the lens has been optimised for digital sensors, meaning that the files are better and more consistent than the ones from a version 1. Granted, I am not sure if I would actually notice the difference without pixel peeping ;)

Thats a great photo of Alcatraz btw! Really like the drama in the sky :)

• Like 1

Not to be a stickler for details, but the original ASPH was also "designed for digital". They all have 6-bit coding which on course was only developed for digital Ms. The newer model is just updated as lenses often are.

True, and sorry for being a bit imprecise. The v1 was designed for the m8, and what I read is that Leica therefore paid less attention to the extreme edges. If you compare the mtf charts of the two lenses you will see that there are some differences between the two lenses.

Edited by OleAndre
  • Like 2

True, and sorry for being a bit imprecise. The v1 was designed for the m8, and what I read is that Leica therefore paid less attention to the extreme edges. If you compare the mtf charts of the two lenses you will see that there are some differences between the two lenses.

There are some differences in the MTF charts, but all the difference is from ~9mm to ~15mm, from the centre to ~9mm and then from 15mm to the extreme edges they are almost indistinguishable. Even between 9mm and 15mm from the centre the differences are only minor. Based on the MTF charts it is hard to draw the conclusion with the previous version "Leica ... paid less attention to the extreme edges". We can conclude as you do in post #8 that "the Elmarit is better in mid-field" (I know you were comparing it to the ZM 1.4/35, but that you particularly noticed the mid-field is telling), which is reflected in the MTF charts.

Based on the technical data supplied by Leica, the optical layout is also indistinguishable, and this is borne out in the MTF charts being mostly indistinguishable. If I was to draw conclusions, I would say that the update was not due to issues with the original but more likely a cosmetic change to bring it in line with the 28m and 35m Summicrons. Maybe they didn't want to make the plastic hood for just one lens? It could be that some of the glass they were using became unavailable, so they changes supplier resulting in a minor change in the MTF charts?

Either way, the new Elmarit ASPH is a brilliant lens, as was its predecessor. It surely was updated, and there is some (minor) change in the MTF reflecting the better performance. However, I don't for a second buy that the update was due to the original ASPH not being designed for digital or being designed for a crop sensor and therefore somehow lacking in the corners.

See here for the technical data for new one, and the wiki still has the link to the previous ASPH version here.

Edited by michaelwj
  • Like 1