I am new to this forum because I want to buy an M8.2 camera but can't find one!

shutterpete

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Being retired I want to own a good used M8.2 Leica and have been

doing a lot of research on YouTube and Google.  I have been unable to locate a nice one so far.

I used to own a lot of film cameras in my time and that is why I want to get a ten year old Leica without

all the bells and whistles of modern day digitals just to get that creative feel again. It would be nice to be in control of a camera with

a good lens rather than being at the mercy of bewildering menu options.

eBay in Germany  have a few on sale, but that could be a bit of a gamble either way. 

Prices appear to be strong for this model: £1370 being the cheapest I've seen.  I thought £1000 would be the norm

but it seems not. I also would consider a Voigtlander f1.4 lens 35mm to start with and then eventually upgrade

to a Summicron or similar M lens.

I have contacted many Leica retailers in UK without luck.  They all want to sell me the newer M models.

If anyone on this forum knows the whereabouts of of a nice  M8.2 I would be very grateful if you could

point them in my direction.

Thanks a lot

Peter

Living near to Manchester.

Hi

Welcome to the forum. It's worth checking the classifieds on here, tho there's nothing available at present.

Also, if you're on Facebook, there's an M8/M8.2 group that's worth joining. They had a couple for sale there recently.

Here's one that's for sale on a French forum...

http://www.summilux.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=84753

Hang on til you find one, it's a great camera!

Ernst

• Like 1

Very nice silver M8.2 here, from a very reliable dealer, and with new battery and 3 clean UV/IR filters (required on M8/M8.2 for each lens size)....

https://www.popflash.com/LIC10712JS

Also has black and red dots!

I suspect that you could negotiate $100 off or so. And remember that a new battery and 3 Leica filters would cost over $500.

Popflash has an eBay site, so I'm sure they're experienced with UK shipping.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

M8.2 is one of the rare digital cameras made like normal camera made. As result, only few listings per year. If you wan't it quicker, use ebay.com and classifieds on LUF and RFF. In other words, increase the search coverage. Sometimes it could be person selling it on the next street to yours and you will find it not for dealer, but on local classifieds.  

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Good luck in the hunt! Lovely cameras.

If you are after a good entry-level 'standard' lens then, depending on how you naturally 'see' (slightly wider or slightly longer) as well as the 35mm Voigt. (47mm in full frame speak) you might also consider the same marque's 40mm f1.4 Nokton (53mm equiv.). I considered both and, for me, the 40 made more sense for the M8.2 because with a 28mm in the bag as well (35mm equiv.) the slightly longer 'standard' gave a better spread of focal lengths.

Just a thought.

Pip.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M8.2 is one of the rare digital cameras made like normal camera made. As result, only few listings per year. If you wan't it quicker, use ebay.com and classifieds on LUF and RFF. In other words, increase the search coverage. Sometimes it could be person selling it on the next street to yours and you will find it not for dealer, but on local classifieds.  

Thanks, but please accept my ignorance, could you tell me please what RUF & RFF stand for?

M8.2 user here. Great camera if you can stand its shutter (in fact motor) noise and you don't need more clean isos than 640. Also beware that some M8.2 copies suffer from faulty LCDs that cannot be fixed by Leica. One can find copies of this fine camera on e**y. You may wish to choose a professional dealer there but 1,000 GBP is too low an expectation i'm afraid. Please find hereunder some e**y prices i've noticed in Europe in 2016 & 2017. All from pro dealers. CV 35/1.4? I would not advise it if yours is not significantly better than my SC version which suffers from focus shift a lot, unless you shoot at f/1.4 or f/2 only with it.

1300 GBP

1980 EUR
1690 EUR
1750 EUR
1849 EUR
1450 EUR
1699 EUR
Edited by lct
  • Like 1

Have you asked Leica Mayfair in London? They occasionally have them in for sensor cleaning and trade. Do not worry about coffee stained effect on the LCD. It does not affect the recorded image and has been known to self-cure. The M8 or 8.2 are durable cameras quite capable of yielding superb results.

Welcome to the forum and do update your story.

• Like 1

Have you asked Leica Mayfair in London? They occasionally have them in for sensor cleaning and trade. Do not worry about coffee stained effect on the LCD. It does not affect the recorded image and has been known to self-cure. The M8 or 8.2 are durable cameras quite capable of yielding superb results.

Welcome to the forum and do update your story.

Yes thanks, I will call them on Monday.

What is KEH please?

www.keh.com

Their quality ratings of equipment are very conservative. I've received items listed as EX (excellent) still in the original box and shrink wrap. That's one flash, two M7 cameras and a 75mm Summilux. They also have a prompt, no questions asked return policy.

• Like 1