Best Leica T (L Mount) Lenses for CL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is another apples and oranges proposed discussion:

I ordered a CL yesterday, to use for travel primarily and as a digital companion to my film MP with Summicron 35/2.  I thought I could also use my M mount Leica glass on the CL with an adapter.

To add to the confusion ... I am considering adding native Leica T mount lens on the CL for the autofocus capability, perhaps the kit 18 or 18-56.  What would you recommend, or would you skip T lenses?  I am not thrilled at the prices Leica charges for the Japanese glass and do prefer German lenses; it is really why I like Leica.  

I could also just skip the cropped sensor CL and pick up a nice used M240 for digital capability. Obviously, a big difference in form factor, plus RF.

In the past, I have owned Leica M240, Q, SL and M3 and  I prefer 35 to 28 format.

Any musings you offer will be appreciated.

I am not thrilled at the prices Leica charges for the Japanese glass and do prefer German lenses; it is really why I like Leica. 

The 35mm and 60mm are made in Germany AFAIK...

I almost never shoot M-glass on the T/TL2 and will not do so on the CL either.  If I want to shoot M-glass I will use a M camera.

Currently traveling with the 35mm, 23mm, 11-23mm and 18-56mm (the 55-135 stayed at home...)

Of the lenses that I own the 35mm is the best and the 23mm the most convenient and practical.

If you buy the kit the 18mm is only $1,000.  If you don't like it you can always sell it again...

• Like 1

Until just a few days ago, TL lens in "new in the box" or "used mint" form were available for well under the manufacturer's list price.  That may just have changed...

However, I have been using the three zooms (all very good quality) and have a 23 prime on the way.  I didn't spring for the 35 or the 60, even though I understand they are perhaps the best TL's of all, because I have M or R lenses that I like very much to do their jobs.  So far the 11-23 and he 55-135 have produced the best images for me (on my SL in still or video).

• Like 1

I didn't spring for the 35 or the 60, even though I understand they are perhaps the best TL's of all, because I have M or R lenses that I like very much to do their jobs. 

I fought the 35mm for about a year due to size, cost and AF performance, but eventually gave in...

I read that the 60mm is much improved now so I might eventually get that as well...

A successful system needs it all IMO, the zooms, the reference lenses and the smaller pragmatic walkaround lenses.  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Interesting comments all, thank you.

I have been in and out of systems too much over the recent years, with a lot of Fujifilm just being sold off the other day.

I want now to concentrate on the shorter high quality Leica lenses and want a digital compliment to my film MP.  It is too easy for me to get distracted with all the gear and not get out there shooting more.  The CL may be just one more distraction for me.  I know that this sounds like a psychology event more that true gear questions, but thanks again.

N

I probably don't fully understand your situation. Just a few cents about L-mount lenses, based on experience and an interesting thread about those lenses in TL forum

23mm - probably the most loved lens for TL (based on my experience as well as users of this forum)

35mm - you can see some pictures done with it in my gallery. It's pretty big and probably slower than 23mm

18-55mm - I personally wouldn't bother because it's neither bokeh-capable nor small. Probably the best TL lens for non-photographers though

60mm - my least favourite. I had huge problems with focusing

Interesting comments all, thank you.

I have been in and out of systems too much over the recent years, with a lot of Fujifilm just being sold off the other day.

I want now to concentrate on the shorter high quality Leica lenses and want a digital compliment to my film MP.  It is too easy for me to get distracted with all the gear and not get out there shooting more.  The CL may be just one more distraction for me.  I know that this sounds like a psychology event more that true gear questions, but thanks again.

N

If you’ve got a set of M lenses that you like on your MP, why not just get a M240/262 as the digital compliment? You know the lenses, you know how they draw.

A system like the CL (or TL, or X) is really a different thing.

I probably don't fully understand your situation. Just a few cents about L-mount lenses, based on experience and an interesting thread about those lenses in TL forum

23mm - probably the most loved lens for TL (based on my experience as well as users of this forum)

35mm - you can see some pictures done with it in my gallery. It's pretty big and probably slower than 23mm

18-55mm - I personally wouldn't bother because it's neither bokeh-capable nor small. Probably the best TL lens for non-photographers though

60mm - my least favourite. I had huge problems with focusing

I love the 35 mm and 60 mm. The IQ is exceptional for each. The 60 - with its focus issues in some situations notwithstanding - is an incredibly versatile lens with macro capability as well as being exceptional for portraits.  The sizes do not bother me at all; yes, they are bigger, but having them on the TL2 is not onerous. No, they will not fit in a pocket.

Edited by ropo54

If you’ve got a set of M lenses that you like on your MP, why not just get a M240/262 as the digital compliment? You know the lenses, you know how they draw.

A system like the CL (or TL, or X) is really a different thing.

I am increasingly being drawn to this idea.  Thank you.

• 2 months later...

The OP already ordered the CL. The M10, M262 or M240 are nice, but neither have AF or shoot at 10 fps. I too, have the MP and think the CL would be a perfect companion for photography. My 50 Lux will now be a 75mm portrait lens on the CL! The CL seems to render beautiful Leica character in a nicely built, less expensive camera kit. Get a native lens or adapt M lenses. Leica designed this camera to take most existing Leica lenses. With a crop sensor your using the sweet spot of the image circle too.

• Like 1