Next, a full frame upgrade, ML,

Guest VVJ

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Four buyers would bring the price of an M-mount EVF camera down to 100.000 $, I guess... :p

This is a very valid point.  Would the people who want one be willing to pay more than for a regular M-body?  It would almost certainly be more expensive.

People interested in M lenses buy rangefinder cameras :rolleyes:.

Because there is no other option! (We've already had the discussion about the SL and CL at great length.)

But I am interested in the wonderful range of M lenses - and, for me, there is no suitable body on which to use them.

We also see the M lens range being added to fairly regularly and some of them will be difficult to use on the M without the clip on EVF, which I think is really ugly.

Others will consider that a perfectly acceptable solution, of course.  ;)

The fact that new M lenses keep appearing suggests that Leica see a bright future for the M system - these lenses are not being produced for SL/CL users primarily, so why not increase sales with the EVF M?

• Like 5

Still could be Q-sized camera with an optional grip for those who’d need one.

There are rumours about both Canon and Nikon entering FF mirror less market, but something tells me that those will be ugly SLR shaped things.

Edited by hexx

Still could be Q-sized camera with an optional grip for those who’d need one.

There are rumours about both Canon and Nikon entering FF mirror less market, but something tells me that those will be ugly SLR shaped things.

Not just rumors. Confirmed by company spokesmen! Canon will announce their plans by Photokina, while Nikon has already said its mirrorless will be out in Spring, 2019.

People interested in M lenses do not want SL lenses so what's the point in allowing them to use them? And why should they wait for an adapter that does not exist to use lenses their camera should be designed for? If Leica does not want to sell M lenses to compact mirrorless users so be it but it won't complain if the M market is shrinking away without being replaced by anything else given the bulk of the SL gear. All this reminds me of the R debacle i'm afraid. 

I do.

I'd love a M styled body that took SL lenses. In "M" mode a movable magnified focusing patch on the EVF. In L mode the SL focus points.

And the adaptor already exists.....

Gordon

Gordon

• Like 1

I do.

I'd love a M styled body that took SL lenses. In "M" mode a movable magnified focusing patch on the EVF. In L mode the SL focus points.

Gordon

Gordon

It should be easy for Leica to build a SL-Mount Kamera with an RF style Body.

There is no need for a new PL.

It did not, does not, and will most probably never do.

L-mount on the camera. There is an M adapter...

I do.

Gordon

Gordon

This is a very valid point.  Would the people who want one be willing to pay more than for a regular M-body?  It would almost certainly be more expensive.

Why?

The production cost of a ML would be lower than the production cost of a rangefinder-M camera. The viewfinder and rangefinder are expensive parts, and you replace them with electronic components. The brass is replaced with magnesium alloy. I do not see how the cost would be higher.

• Like 3

The small CL will take huge SL lenses, like the 90-280. 

It takes any L-mount lens, but Leica will not sell SL lenses for that camera nor CL cameras for those SL lenses. 

Who will use a CL with SL lenses? 1% of the CL and SL user base combined?

[...] The production cost of a ML would be lower than the production cost of a rangefinder-M camera. The viewfinder and rangefinder are expensive parts, and you replace them with electronic components. The brass is replaced with magnesium alloy. I do not see how the cost would be higher.

+1. A small part of the rangefinder would have to be conserved though, the roller cam allowing auto zoom contrary to L cameras. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Why?

The production cost of a ML would be lower than the production cost of a rangefinder-M camera. The viewfinder and rangefinder are expensive parts, and you replace them with electronic components. The brass is replaced with magnesium alloy. I do not see how the cost would be higher.

Volume.  A M-mount EVF camera, I really don't see a huge target audience.  As there will be less buyers you can expect the cost to be higher.  The M without LCD also costed more than the M with LCD...

Edited by JorisV

It takes any L-mount lens, but Leica will not sell SL lenses for that camera nor CL cameras for those SL lenses. 

Who will use a CL with SL lenses? 1% of the CL and SL user base combined?

If you want an AF lens up to 400 mm equivalent you have little choice...

• Like 1

+1. A small part of the rangefinder would have to be conserved though, the roller cam allowing auto zoom contrary to L cameras.

attachicon.gifroller_cam.jpg

I really don't miss automatic image magnification. the small thumb movement on the thumb wheel more than compensates for the annoyance of the image jumping to large the moment you touch the focus ring, and don't want to lose your framing...

But maybe Kolari can mod your Sony to do it :p

• Like 1

[...] But maybe Kolari can mod your Sony to do it :p

Of course it cannot do it, otherwise i would not need a Leica. Auto zoom is the only significant Leica superiority so far. Fortunately for Leica most of its competitors have a thick sensor stack but this situation won't last forever. Interesting to see what Nikon will do given that it sells thin sensor stack DSLRs already. 

Volume.  A M-mount EVF camera, I really don't see a huge target audience.  As there will be less buyers you can expect the cost to be higher.  The M without LCD also costed more than the M with LCD...

But the current M system audience is also shrinking (which is very likely one of the main reasons Leica ovearall prices are going up given this has been their bread and butter system forever). The demand is probably shrinking because of the expensive RF bodies fewer people are interested in (older people still want it but eyes can't handle it, younger people don't get RFand/or can't afford it - whatever the reason may be the demand is shrinking). However, the Leica M lenses demand does not seem to be shrinking (at least that's my perception) so Leica is in a tough spot - maybe it's technically impossible to build a modern EVF body that takes advantage of those M lenses natively (so that the future M system does more than if you just mount the M lens on some Sony with converter), but unless they figure something out to keep seling those M lenses with their own cameras they have a problem, becasue the rest of their current camera systems (as great as they may be technically), are not viewed as having the same competitive advantages where it has some unique aspect nobody else could replicate (ie smallest size FF + lense with best IQ and great handling).

The Q is interesting and probably somehow pointing the way to Leica's future. I read somewhere that it sold a lot a lot more than Leica expected, and it must be because it is the smallest and cheapest FF sumilux lens package available with lens/sensor combo producing IQ as good as the corresponding M package (for sure I bought my Q for that exact reason and I'm sure many others have as well).

• Like 2

Of course it cannot do it, otherwise i would not need a Leica. Auto zoom is the only significant Leica superiority so far. Fortunately for Leica most of its competitors have a thick sensor stack but this situation won't last forever. Interesting to see what Nikon will do given that it sells thin sensor stack DSLRs already. 

It is not just the thick filter stack; the microlens array configuration is even more important, the well depth too.

It is not just the thick filter stack; the microlens array configuration is even more important, the well depth too.

My Sony mod has no special microlens config. AFAIK and does better than my M240 already. Well depth i don't know, what is it?

• Like 1

If you want an AF lens up to 400 mm equivalent you have little choice... 

Even with the 1/2 sensor, the 420 equivalent is barely a true birder lens, but the pictures it produces are spectacular. 

Edited by bags27
  • Like 1