Next, a full frame upgrade, ML,

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I put a question mark against " better than the M240". Could you please substantiate?

Well i don't want to despair my good Leica friends here but the listing of advantages would be boring i'm afraid and i'm too lazy for that. Let's say Star Wars vs Jurassic Park? Just kidding but aside from the different focusing device i'm not far from thinking this way. 

<Bless>.. I use Sony -medical-professionally- as well and I find the colour ummm..displeasing to avoid a different word. I prefer Leica files for postprocessing by a wide margin. I would not dream of wasting my Leica lenses on them, but then I don't have your Kolari contraption.

Disclosure for the argument - one of the shots I got into the LuUFbook was a

Leica lens on a NEX7, which is my wife's cat-shooting camera now, and I wish I had taken it on a Leica sensor for the colour and rendering...

• Like 2

People interested in M lenses buy rangefinder cameras :rolleyes:

Not true. Otherwise this topic would not come up again and again and again and again.........

And yes, the M market is shrinking, with or without EVF. 

All the more reason Leica should make a hybrid OVF/EVF camera, failing which just an EVF FF. It is obvious that Leica understands the predicament it is in other wise it would not have explored and tried to make a hybrid OVF/EVF - it did say it was not happy with the end result (so far). Remember it once said a Full Frame Rangefinder was not possible? What is not possible today is reality tomorrow. 

There are two ways to see this hypothetical camera. A FF upgrade of CL or a modernized M.

A FF upgraded CL clearly has L mount and EVF. A modernized M must have EVF and M or L mount.

I feel very safe to bet FF CL will come soon assume the reason is selfevident.

I can't see the justification of a modernized M without L mount. People can't live without EVF but also can't live with ML adapter are simply not in the priority to consider. They are actually all quite happy in the classical M school.

People interested in M lenses buy rangefinder cameras :rolleyes:

Not true. Otherwise this topic would not come up again and again and again and again.........

And yes, the M market is shrinking, with or without EVF. 

All the more reason Leica should make a hybrid OVF/EVF camera, failing which just an EVF FF. It is obvious that Leica understands the predicament it is in other wise it would not have explored and tried to make a hybrid OVF/EVF - it did say it was not happy with the end result (so far). Remember it once said a Full Frame Rangefinder was not possible? What is not possible today is reality tomorrow. 

Actually Leica never said that...

As for the first, it is in Leica's interest to make an EVF M-type camera as universal as possible - which means the L mount - and an Autofocus option for non-M lenses. Basically a classically pimped and shrunk SL.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

There are two ways to see this hypothetical camera. A FF upgrade of CL or a modernized M.

A FF upgraded CL clearly has L mount and EVF. A modernized M must have EVF and M or L mount.

I feel very safe to bet FF CL will come soon assume the reason is selfevident.

I can't see the justification of a modernized M without L mount. People can't live without EVF but also can't live with ML adapter are simply not in the priority to consider. They are actually all quite happy in the classical M school.

Can I just check your logic? Is that going to take CL lenses or SL lenses? Or a whole new type of lens?

Basically any L mount camera will take any L mount lens, be it SL or TL (CL) Except that a full-frame L mount camera will crop down to APS-C automatically when using a TL lens.

No camera but an M can, so you are most likely stuck with the M10 I fear...

Even a hypothetical "M" camera with an L mount will not be able to do this.

Only in the unlikely case that Leica surprises us with an M-mount EVF camera will your wish be granted.

I find it a bit surprising coming from you, though, as you mention in every second post that you are over the moon with your "Kolari-Sony", which has no auto-magnification either.

• Like 1

Nor can you Leica, as the magnification feature is closely linked to the M mount, just like other features are specific to more modern mount types. 

I will certainly criticize Leica if it sells what you call « a hypothetical "M" camera with an L mount » w/o an adapter for auto image magnification. 

Can I just check your logic? Is that going to take CL lenses or SL lenses? Or a whole new type of lens?

Not sure what Leica will do, but my hypothetical ML (or CM) could take both SL and TL/CL lenses, and if you set to auto HF/FF switching, it could detect a TL/CL, show the HF view in the EVF, and deliver the HF image。 Same as SL does.