Next, a full frame upgrade, ML,

Such a sensitive topic!

I can't imagine SL sized lenses on a Q sized body. Would it be worth it to make an interchangable Q with Q sized lenses? I'm not sure that would be financially viable...

I would love M lenses on Q sized body (so must be FF, no AF is fine, but with no special adapters required for M lenses, great build in EVF, manual focus including focus peaking, and magnification) - this type of camera would be for those of us who really want M but eyes are too old for RF. Can this be made or does it make sense for Leica? I have no idea, but I know that's about the only Leica I would consider as an upgrade over my Q.

• Like 4

I would love M lenses on Q sized body (so must be FF, no AF is fine, but with no special adapters required for M lenses, great build in EVF, manual focus including focus peaking, and magnification) - this type of camera would be for those of us who really want M but eyes are too old for RF. Can this be made or does it make sense for Leica? I have no idea, but I know that's about the only Leica I would consider as an upgrade over my Q.

An M like body with EVF gets a lot of interests here. It is a good complement to the classical M. In ,any way it can be superior too,

CL is Leica’ answer for that. I cannot imaging Leica would ignore the need of a FF upgrade given the warm response to CL. i believe make it L mount would be more sensible to be an upgraded CL. This should be aimed to attract more photographers into the Leica school.

Making it M mount seems more odd. It is likely preferred mainly for the existing M users. It would make more sense than the FF CL if the existing classic M owners looking for EVf and who hate adapter are significant.

• Like 1

An M like body with EVF gets a lot of interests here. It is a good complement to the classical M. In ,any way it can be superior too,

CL is Leica’ answer for that. I cannot imaging Leica would ignore the need of a FF upgrade given the warm response to CL. i believe make it L mount would be more sensible to be an upgraded CL. This should be aimed to attract more photographers into the Leica school.

Making it M mount seems more odd. It is likely preferred mainly for the existing M users. It would make more sense than the FF CL if the existing classic M owners looking for EVf and who hate adapter are significant.

I may be in very small minority here, but I'm personally interested in the M lenses more so than anything else Leica has going. I think this is the one (and maybe only) area where Leica continues to have clear lead over competition - smallest lenses with the best IQ (for that small lens size for sure). So new bodies/systems (with EVF) should be built to take advantage of M lenses if possible (without having to use converters). And yes, more than happy to give up AF to be able to use those lenses, but must have requirements of the new Leica body I would buy (whatever it's called, ML, QL, SonyM, or whatever) should be M mount, FF, highest quality EVF, focus peaking, and magnification. It will probably never happen, so I'll continue to be very happy with my Q as the next closest thing to that ideal.

• Like 1

What is the problem with fitting aa active adapter more or less permanently? I fail to see the difference to an M mount camera.

What is the problem with fitting aa active adapter more or less permanently? I fail to see the difference to an M mount camera.

I suppose one would have to go with Sony in that case, because Leica does not have that type of camera right now at all (SL is too big - like having another SLR, and CL has cropped sensor which I tried with Canon 7D but did not like so switched to 5D). By the way, before I purchased my Q I did consider CL - viewed a lot of photos on this forum but overall preferred photos in the Q threads (maybe because I happen to like the 28mm more than longer FL, or maybe something to do with FF - not really sure).

I suppose one would have to go with Sony in that case, because Leica does not have that type of camera right now at all (SL is too big - like having another SLR, and CL has cropped sensor which I tried with Canon 7D but did not like so switched to 5D). By the way, before I purchased my Q I did consider CL - viewed a lot of photos on this forum but overall preferred photos in the Q threads (maybe because I happen to like the 28mm more than longer FL, or maybe something to do with FF - not really sure).

i suspect that the SL2 will be a different proposition. Even now, the body is not that large, the bulk is in the lenses.

As for the cropped sensor, I would agree, were it not that the CL has exceeded my expectations by a large margin.

• Like 1

One more time: a CL-like FF camera with L mount does not make any sense, because SL lenses are too big for a small camera. 

ML camera (FF) --> M lenses --> M mount

SL camera (FF) --> SL lenses --> L mount

CL camera (APS) --> TL lenses --> L mount

Not the camera I'm talking about :SL -shrunk a bit, CL style. Still takes ff SL lenses

A squared circle. Small enough for M lenses, large enough for SL lenses. Brick shaped like a M or CL, but with a deep grip for handling zooms and tele lenses. Etc. 

The M system and SL system are worlds apart.

Edited by rosuna

People interested in M lenses do not want SL lenses so what's the point in allowing them to use them? And why should they wait for an adapter that does not exist to use lenses their camera should be designed for? If Leica does not want to sell M lenses to compact mirrorless users so be it but it won't complain if the M market is shrinking away without being replaced by anything else given the bulk of the SL gear. All this reminds me of the R debacle i'm afraid. 

Edited by lct
  • Like 4

People interested in M lenses buy rangefinder cameras :rolleyes:.  And the L-M adapter exists already... And yes, the M market is shrinking, with or without EVF. Leica's future is the L mount.

The small CL will take huge SL lenses, like the 90-280. It does not seem to bother Leica. And why should it? The strength of their present-day lineup is versatility and compatibility between systems.

• Like 2

Once the technology for an EVF / rangefinder hybrid is ready, I'm sure Leica would implement it. It would be a considerate move for their long time M users whose eyesight wasn't as good as it once was (probably because of shooting the M for so long)! And if it doesn't compromise on the quality of the rangefinder, then why not? 

• Like 1

They already considered a hybrid viewfinder, but were not happy with the quality. However, I think it is more likely that there will be a hybrid M at some point of time than a pure EVF one.