CL firmware update

helged

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Double tap recenters the focus point.  (I only remembered that when looking through old posts on this thread.)  But that's not so easy with the camera at your eye.

Sadly a double nudge with your nose does not seem to work (for left eye shooters only). I tried!

• Like 2

I'd rather have the option for the focus point to recentre automatically after switch off and on, or after sleep/wake-up. When you are just about to take a shot in a hurry (granddaughter is being particularly cute) and you find the focus point is in the TR corner, even a double tap is irritating.

• Like 5

It would be nice to have consistent operation of the focus point in both SL and CL.  The SL has, under AF settings, the choice for AF point to continue or to reset, but I think it does it on a shot by shot basis, which isn't ideal, either.  I like the idea of reset only when the camera shuts off, just as self-timer is reset on shutoff. That would be the "continuous" setting.  You could also choose to have it reset after every shot.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

Double tap recenters the focus point.  (I only remembered that when looking through old posts on this thread.)  But that's not so easy with the camera at your eye.

I was experimenting with this today, and realized that with the camera up to my eye, I have the LCD off, and that also turns off touch input.  The result is that I can't use this recentering option until I have taken the camera away from my face and allowed time for the LCD to wake up.  At least I can switch off and on again with the camera up, but that may be no faster.  The double tap does work if I prevision the shot, and only raise the camera to my eye just before I press the shutter.

I was experimenting with this today, and realized that with the camera up to my eye, I have the LCD off, and that also turns off touch input.  The result is that I can't use this recentering option until I have taken the camera away from my face and allowed time for the LCD to wake up.  At least I can switch off and on again with the camera up, but that may be no faster.  The double tap does work if I prevision the shot, and only raise the camera to my eye just before I press the shutter.

For those keeping the LCD off most of the time (as is the case for me), switching between the EVF and LCD is too cumbersome and too slow, I would say. Actually, a big advantage with the CL (and SL) is that you can get all info + the menu options, without removing the eye from the EVF. If you need to remove the eye from the CL, you are closer to use of the TL/TL2, a system that is modern, slick and visually attractive, but not my cup of tea with respect to handling. 

• Like 2

Some gentle requests after a little playing with the CL.

* As several users have mentioned: It would be good to have an option to swop the settings of the left and right setting wheels, particularly for those coming from/used to the SL.

* For manual Leica or non-Leica lenses: Exposure clipping ('Clipping' in the menu) does not work. Clipping works with native TL lenses, so it is strange that clipping cannot be activate with manual lenses. A glitch - or is it me...? (yes, I do have 'Clipping' activated in the menu ;) ).

* Regarding clipping: It would be useful to be able to set the clipping sensitivity (similar to the SL).

* For TL lenses: It would be good to have an option to remove focussing from the shutter button. Looking at the options available, focussing could be possible from the 'Center button' on the 'Direction pad'. Again, similar to the SL.

* For manual lenses: It would be good if the focus point could be arbitrarily located by the 'Direction pad'. As of now, the focus point is always in the centre of the image. 

I am, overall, very pleased with the CL. It feels like a capable companion for the SL - as I hoped for. 

Yeah, through the EVF, the aperture values are on the left side, but controlled by the right dial and the shutter on the right by the left dial. It's more intuitive to have the values correspond with the dial placement.That should be an easy firmware fix.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For me, it would be very helpful to be able locking AF/AE on a moving subject, without having to keep the release button half way down all the time. Then , compose and the shoot.

Many other cameras (non-Leica) have this function and I wonder if it would be possible to have it also on CL?

Any hope to get the cine aspect ratios in a  future firmware i.e 1,78 / 1,85 / 2,35 ? Even  the 1:1 photo optional frames lines  are missing .

They are available with the SL 601 .

Same for 24 fps and 25 fps ...

The compact digi CL would then become a real field of view tool (though missing an HDMI output).

Edited by JMF

Absolutely. I generally have the LCD off and somehow the focus point still wanders to the top right. The d-pad doesn’t seem to work. And to say it’s frustrating to have to wander through the menus to turn the LCD on only to recenter the focus point is a huge understatement. Even if I’ve set LCD on as a separate user profile.

Just got back from a trip. I’d say about 25% of the shots taken with the CL are out of focus. Guess where the focus point was?

The CL really needs a center focus point lock, an easy way to recenter the focus point without having to resort to the LCD, and an easier way to turn the LCD on and off. It’s a brilliant camera, but I found on a recent trip that I couldn’t trust it to be ready to shoot.

Just tried exactly that. Unfortunately a wonky focus point stays put after switching AF modes from single to multipoint then back.

The CL really needs a center focus point lock. It’s hubris not to allow “focus-recompose-shoot” for us old-school shooters.

I’ve done that, and yes, it’s effective. But I’d much rather use the function menu items for photographic controls, not camera controls. And it doesn’t solve the underlying issues with the wandering focus point.

In any case, I could live with the function menu control if I didn’t have to use it :). A locking focus point, double-tapping something on the d-pad yo center, and being able to just use the d-pad to move the focus point are all pretty standard camera user experiences at this point.

I don't think I can make sense of this. 4K is defined as a pixel count, not a sensor size. Leica's UHD 4K is 3850 pixels wide, just like other cameras, including for instance the professional Blackmagic. Were Leica to use the 6000 pixels of the full sensor, you would have 6K video, and precious few devices to play it on.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think I can make sense of this. 4K is defined as a pixel count, not a sensor size. Leica's UHD 4K is 3850 pixels wide, just like other cameras, including for instance the professional Blackmagic. Were Leica to use the 6000 pixels of the full sensor, you would have 6K video, and precious few devices to play it on.

So? Full HD video mode is use all sensor size? 16:9 (1920x1080) 

BTW SL's sensor use all size for 4K video. (16:9)

Edited by eraydinc

4K is a resolution standard, and has nothing to do with sensor size. Whatever the sensor size or crop size, you will get an output that is about 4000 pixels wide. Leica is just following the accepted standard.

from Wikipedia:

4K resolution, also called 4K, refers to a horizontal screen display resolution in the order of 4,000 pixels.[1] There are several different 4K resolutions in the fields of digital television and digital cinematography. In television and consumer media, 4K UHD or UHD-1 is the dominant 4K standard. In the movie projection industry, Digital Cinema Initiatives (DCI 4K) is the dominant 4K standard.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

After working months with the CL I have only one wish. I like to swap the function from the two wheels in M mode. So in M mode the right wheel should be available for speed (like the M where you change the speed with your right hand) and use the left wheel for aperture.

Bernard de Graaf

www.bernarddefotograaf.nl

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

After working months with the CL I have only one wish. I like to swap the function from the two wheels in M mode. So in M mode the right wheel should be available for speed (like the M where you change the speed with your right hand) and use the left wheel for aperture.

Bernard de Graaf

www.bernarddefotograaf.nl

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk Pro

+1.  This is the way the T and TL2 work.  I have no idea why they changed it for the CL.  After 6 months it still drives me insane...

• Like 1

Such a swap would be a deal breaker for me. M and CL cameras are designed the same way more or less. Exposure compensation with the right dial under the thumb and shutter speeds with the left dial under the index finger. I did not know that T and TL2 are designed otherwise and i wonder why.