CL firmware update

helged

I miss the 'play' button being under my R thumb as on the SL ...... would be nice if it was one of the selectable options for the R wheel button.

Ah! Me, I would like it to be in the middle on the left (like the M10), but I agree it would be a good option for the R thumb wheel.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Further thoughts on issues mentioned above, after a lot more use of the CL:

- I agree that the assignment of aperture and speed to left or right dials should be a user option. In A or S mode I assign EC to the 'unused' dial; I would like to keep that unused dial on the right - at the moment it is only on the right in S mode, and on the left in A mode. Others will have their own preferences, so the ability to assign the dials fully in different modes would be useful.

- I find it far to easy to accidentally move the focus point to an extreme edge or corner while handling the camera. I want it to revert to the centre after switching off and on, and a quick way to recentre it. 

• Like 3

I don’t know if this has been discussed before or not; but I really want is to use my old non-Leica M F lenses without any problem, as I am doing so well with my T. What has been a big pain, and without any result, is to have the magnification on top right wheel with my Nikkor lenses via Novoflex.

Folks with Leica M and R MF lenses don’t seem to have any problem. But it is not working for me as it does so well with T.

If this issue could be corrected with a firmware, then CL would certainly be a GGREAT camera for me.

Further thoughts on issues mentioned above, after a lot more use of the CL:

- I agree that the assignment of aperture and speed to left or right dials should be a user option. In A or S mode I assign EC to the 'unused' dial; I would like to keep that unused dial on the right - at the moment it is only on the right in S mode, and on the left in A mode. Others will have their own preferences, so the ability to assign the dials fully in different modes would be useful.

- I find it far to easy to accidentally move the focus point to an extreme edge or corner while handling the camera. I want it to revert to the centre after switching off and on, and a quick way to recentre it. 

If you have the AF mode under the Fn button, you can quickly switch from single-point to multifield and back again. That will centre it.

My gripe is that there is no simple way to switch between EVF and LCD.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My gripe is that there is no simple way to switch between EVF and LCD.

I set the rear Fn button to cycle between EVF and LCD. I didn’t realise you could do so for some time, but the option is there to set it to do so. Now I press the Fn button and it will switch between the different options.

Where did you find that one?

You can customize which operations to put under FN button. First thing I did is move the timer (default FN setting) to favorites and add EVF-LCD to FN. It would be nice if LCD would show briefly if I switched to LCD or to Auto mode.

Yes - I know. But I don't see the setting for EVF-LCD. :( Can't find it in the manual either...

Try this:

Menu > Customise Control > FN Button then scroll down until you find the EVF-LCD and set it to ON.

Then, when you press & hold the FN button, it will appear as an option. Select it. Next time you press the FN button, you’ll use it to cycle between the EVF and LCD options.

• Like 1

To my way of thinking, the way the function button works when you want to select another function from its menu is not logical. You give a long press on the Fn button, which then accesses functions you have allocated to the Fn button in the main menu. You scroll up or down to select the function you want to use with the Fn button and confirm by pressing the centre button of the 4 way controller. My way of thinking says this should take you into the function you have selected but instead it selects the function but closes the menu, so you now have to give a brief press to the Fn button to access your newly selected function. If you are changing the selected function of the Fn button, I feel it is most likely because you want to access that function. If you don't, it is very easy to close the Fn menu by a half press of the shutter release. 

What do others think?

Wilson

• Like 1

+1.

Another oddity: I have allocated 2 functions to the Fn button: Self Timer and User Profile. I want to remove Self Timer through Customize Control of the Main menu (FN Button / Off). Impossible. The camera says "active items cannot be deleted" in spite of the self timer being inactive even after switching the camera off and removing the battery. 

+1.

Another oddity: I have allocated 2 functions to the Fn button: Self Timer and User Profile. I want to remove Self Timer through Customize Control of the Main menu (FN Button / Off). Impossible. The camera says "active items cannot be deleted" in spite of the self timer being inactive even after switching the camera off and removing the battery. 

Yes I have come across this as well and could not find an explanation. 

To my way of thinking, the way the function button works when you want to select another function from its menu is not logical. You give a long press on the Fn button, which then accesses functions you have allocated to the Fn button in the main menu. You scroll up or down to select the function you want to use with the Fn button and confirm by pressing the centre button of the 4 way controller. My way of thinking says this should take you into the function you have selected but instead it selects the function but closes the menu, so you now have to give a brief press to the Fn button to access your newly selected function. If you are changing the selected function of the Fn button, I feel it is most likely because you want to access that function. If you don't, it is very easy to close the Fn menu by a half press of the shutter release. 

What do others think?

Wilson

I agree its an odd implementation and your suggestion makes far more sense.

Also there is a bug with "Profile". If its selected its only used once then the func lion button reverts to the first function next time.

I agree its an odd implementation and your suggestion makes far more sense.

Also there is a bug with "Profile". If its selected its only used once then the func lion button reverts to the first function next time.

I think the selected functions for the Fn button are unique to each saved profile. It seems like this and if so, I would have no argument with that. For example if I set up a profile for video, I would want a whole lot of different functions on the Fn button, than I would for still photography. I have set up a profile for flash, where I have Flash Options as one of the active functions on the Fn button, whereas I don't on my Daylight profile. 

Wilson

What do others think?

Wilson

this is really messed up, as well as the assignments for the right wheel.

In my opinion many problems could be avoided if Leica would youse the touchscreen for the menues and/or a graphic menue as on the Sony As.

Also I cannot stress enough that Leica should keep the same menus on all their cameras. While not 100% perfect, the 4 button layout of the S and later of the SL was not that bad that they now had to come up with something new as this two wheel concept. I really want to have identic menu concepts on all my Leica cameras!

Btw the menue buttons on the right of the screen is placed to low.

I wonder if someone at Leica is using the cameras ......

Nevertheless the CL is a nice camera, I just wish they had more compact lenses to offer. They could be manual, why not ....