CL firmware update

helged

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Perhaps we could try to gather wishes for firmware update in a designated thread. Such a collection of wishes & demands have turned useful for other systems, so let's have a go here as well.

A few starters picked up from other threads:

* Ability to use the 4-way back button for back-focussing (yes, please....)

* Ability to change aperture on L-lenses when in video mode

* Add 24 fps in video mode

• Like 2

Perhaps we could try to gather wishes for firmware update in a designated thread. Such a collection of wishes & demands have turned useful for other systems, so let's have a go here as well.

A few starters picked up from other threads:

* Ability to use the 4-way back button for back-focussing (yes, please....)

* Ability to change aperture on L-lenses when in video mode

* Add 24 fps in video mode

+1

not sure.  For simple stuff, Auto ISO and preset should cover this

+1

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some gentle requests after a little playing with the CL.

* As several users have mentioned: It would be good to have an option to swop the settings of the left and right setting wheels, particularly for those coming from/used to the SL.

* For manual Leica or non-Leica lenses: Exposure clipping ('Clipping' in the menu) does not work. Clipping works with native TL lenses, so it is strange that clipping cannot be activate with manual lenses. A glitch - or is it me...? (yes, I do have 'Clipping' activated in the menu ;) ).

* Regarding clipping: It would be useful to be able to set the clipping sensitivity (similar to the SL).

* For TL lenses: It would be good to have an option to remove focussing from the shutter button. Looking at the options available, focussing could be possible from the 'Center button' on the 'Direction pad'. Again, similar to the SL.

* For manual lenses: It would be good if the focus point could be arbitrarily located by the 'Direction pad'. As of now, the focus point is always in the centre of the image. 

I am, overall, very pleased with the CL. It feels like a capable companion for the SL - as I hoped for. 

• Like 3

Some gentle requests after a little playing with the CL.

* As several users have mentioned: It would be good to have an option to swop the settings of the left and right setting wheels, particularly for those coming from/used to the SL.

* For manual Leica or non-Leica lenses: Exposure clipping ('Clipping' in the menu) does not work. Clipping works with native TL lenses, so it is strange that clipping cannot be activate with manual lenses. A glitch - or is it me...? (yes, I do have 'Clipping' activated in the menu ;) ).

* Regarding clipping: It would be useful to be able to set the clipping sensitivity (similar to the SL).

* For TL lenses: It would be good to have an option to remove focussing from the shutter button. Looking at the options available, focussing could be possible from the 'Center button' on the 'Direction pad'. Again, similar to the SL.

* For manual lenses: It would be good if the focus point could be arbitrarily located by the 'Direction pad'. As of now, the focus point is always in the centre of the image. 

I am, overall, very pleased with the CL. It feels like a capable companion for the SL - as I hoped for. 

I'm curious about your comment regarding the focus point and manual lenses. What is the purpose of moving the "focus point" when focusing manually?

Is it not possible to shift the field of view in a magnified mode with the CL? 

Edited by ramarren

I'm curious about your comment regarding the focus point and manual lenses. What is the purpose of moving the "focus point" when focusing manually?

Is it not possible to shift the field of view in a magnified mode with the CL?

Not possible (with manual lenses; ok with AF lenses - strange...).

Edited by helged

I'd like to have focus select by touch AND the 4 way controller. Touch when using the rear screen and 4 way when using the EVF. Now it's either or.

Even better do what Olympus and Hasselblad do and allow the use of the rear screen as a touchpad (ie. virtual joystick) to select the AF point.

I'd like the ability to scroll and select menus using touch.

Gordon

• Like 1

According to the CL manual, page 44: "If you are using the Leica M- or R-Adapter L, the right setting wheel assignment changes to Focus Assist x3, x6 or Off."

So yes: you can use image magnification with M lenses, and you can have peaking as well (see previous page or two in the manual). 

But it does also say (on page 43): "... Enlarged display of a central section:

The larger details of the subject appear in the monitor, the more

accurately you can assess their sharpness."

Interesting. You can enlarge, but you can't shift the view around the frame. Well, that doesn't bother me ... I only rarely shift the view. :-)

• Like 1

Do you mean one cannot trigger image magnification with M lenses? Hard to believe but this would be a deal breaker for me.

According to the CL manual, page 44: "If you are using the Leica M- or R-Adapter L, the right setting wheel assignment changes to Focus Assist x3, x6 or Off."

So yes: you can use image magnification with M lenses, and you can have peaking as well (see previous page or two in the manual). 

But it does also say (on page 43): "... Enlarged display of a central section:

The larger details of the subject appear in the monitor, the more

accurately you can assess their sharpness."

Interesting. You can enlarge, but you can't shift the view around the frame. Well, that doesn't bother me ... I only rarely shift the view. :-)

Correct: With manual lenses you can enlarge, but not relocate the magnification view in the frame; it always stays in the centre of the frame.

With L-mount lenses in AF mode, you can move the focus point by the 'Direction pad'. Focus is then activated by half-pressing the shutter. Alternatively, you can locate the focus by touching the back screen.

With L-mount lenses in manual focus mode, you are back to the operation of manual lenses: The focus magnification view remains in the centre of the frame.

Edited by helged

* It would be good if the electronic shutter would allow for shutter speeds longer than 1 sec.

* And please, let us get an option to turn off noise reduction on long shutter speeds...

(both requests mirror those of the SL).

• Like 1

Implement touchscreen access to the menu using the TL2 icon system. Touchscreens and icons go much better together than lists. Or, if this is too much for those users who see the TL2 interface as the road to hell, implement such an interface as an option - it must be only a GUI sitting on top of the real controls.

May i ask how you manage to trigger image magnification? Can you do it while keeping the eye on the EVF? Sorry for my dumb questions but i have zero experience with the digital CL.

Image magnification is automatically assigned to the RH dial when you mount a manual lens. Easily triggered with your eye to the VF (once you remember it's there). L-lenses in manual mode optionally trigger magnification automatically just by turning the focus ring.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 2

May i ask how you manage to trigger image magnification? Can you do it while keeping the eye on the EVF? Sorry for my dumb questions but i have zero experience with the digital CL.

(Posted in parallel with Paul, so the Mods may delete...). With a manual lens on the CL, you control focus (included magnification, if needed/wanted) and exposure without removing the eye from the view finder. Focus magnification is activated with the rightmost wheel, exposure with the left wheel. Very convenient once you get it into the fingers.

Edited by helged
  • Like 1

Depending on the shooting mode, the two control dials are used to set the aperture, time or exposure compensation and cannot be configured.

M mode: exposure time (dial on the left), aperture (dial on the right)

A mode: exposure compensation (dial on the left), aperture (dial on the right)

S mode: exposure time (dial on the left), exposure compensation (dial on the right)

P mode: exposure compensation (dial on the left), programme shift (dial on the right)

Video and scene mode: exposure compensation (both dials)

The control dial on the left is used to activate shooting mode selection (P-S-A-M-Video-Scene) and to then select one using the dial.

Source: https://www.ingo-cordes.de/en/leica-en/leica-cl-test-report

• Like 1

so you're buying the CL :)

It's a bit early yet to come to that conclusion. 

I'm still considering it. There are some things that would make it an advantage for my photography, but I don't really need it and it's not a "trivially inexpensive" thing to purchase for the heck of it (like a $100 camera bag). I do a lot of research and consideration before I buy things. I decide against buying about 95% of the time. :)

It's a bit early yet to come to that conclusion. 

I'm still considering it. There are some things that would make it an advantage for my photography, but I don't really need it and it's not a "trivially inexpensive" thing to purchase for the heck of it (like a $100 camera bag). I do a lot of research and consideration before I buy things. I decide against buying about 95% of the time. :)

Hey, when has "need" been a prime determinant for buying a Leica?   Now if we want to talk about "want" . . .

• Like 3

I miss the 'play' button being under my R thumb as on the SL ...... would be nice if it was one of the selectable options for the R wheel button.

I tend to have auto review off and check images piecemeal when I think there may be problems ...... and then in the EVF rather than screen.