Is the CL a worthy successor to Barnack's original?

NZDavid

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica is making a big thing of the new CL being the spiritual successor to the original Leica designed by Oscar Barnack? Is it?

https://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-APS-C/Leica-CL

"Some people say that if Oskar Barnack were to build a camera today, it would have the APS-C format..."

Is the CL closer to Barnack's concept than the M, or other models? Barnack wanted a compact, high-quality, system camera -- one that was as versatile as possible, that photographers could take anywhere yet still get the best results.

Three things both cameras share:

1) Interchangeable lenses for versatility

2) Compact size paramount. According to one article, Barnack famously laid his metal ruler on the top-plate of the Leica and decreed the camera should be no bigger

3) Innovation. Barnack sought to incorporate the latest technologies as soon as he could, such as built-in rangefinder, self-capping shutter, etc. I don't think he would be adverse to AF

Leica is making a big thing of the new CL being the spiritual successor to the original Leica designed by Oscar Barnack? Is it?

https://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-APS-C/Leica-CL

"Some people say that if Oskar Barnack were to build a camera today, it would have the APS-C format..."

Is the CL closer to Barnack's concept than the M, or other models? Barnack wanted a compact, high-quality, system camera -- one that was as versatile as possible, that photographers could take anywhere yet still get the best results.

Three things both cameras share:

1) Interchangeable lenses for versatility

2) Compact size paramount. According to one article, Barnack famously laid his metal ruler on the top-plate of the Leica and decreed the camera should be no bigger

3) Innovation. Barnack sought to incorporate the latest technologies as soon as he could, such as built-in rangefinder, self-capping shutter, etc. I don't think he would be adverse to AF

The camera shown on the US site is the IIIg which was the largest and last LTM model, introduced about 20 years after the death of Barnack. His original design, which became commercially available from 1925, was the I Model A which did not have interchangeable lenses, but rather the tiny collapsible 50mm Elmar. The camera fitted very well into the large pockets of the 1920s. Interchangeable lenses came in 1931 and, initially, the 28mm and 35mm lenses were what we would call 'pancakes' today and all 50mm lenses were collapsible so that cameras could fit into the pocket up to about 50mm. 90mm and 135mm lenses required cases . As soon as the concept of a system camera became the norm, then the idea of a Leica camera for the pocket took a back seat as something like a folding camera suited better.

The new CL is similar in size to the original Leica I from 1925, but only with the, just introduced, 18mm lens. Once you go to the 23mm then the camera would need very big pockets for being carried in a coat or jacket. And when zooms are used then that element is lost. Leica could produce some nice little leather cases for portability of the camera with one or two lenses. 

I believe that Barnack would, if he were alive today, be delighted with the cameras in smartphones. I also believe that the likes of HCB would also like the invisibility of such cameras buried in portable phones. I am not sure how some of HCB's artistic foibles, like no cropping etc, would stand up to today's process everything philosophy. 

I am with Jaap in the view that any comparison between the new CL and the original Leica is mainly for marketing. Leica has to trade on its heritage, of course. The M models are the items that most represent the heritage of Leica, but they only go back to 1953.

William

Edited by willeica
  • Like 5