Best all round portrait lens for R system with breaking the Bank

RvN

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Guys,

Thinking of getting an R6 as compliment of my M system. 

If i want two lenses: i am thinking of  28mm and 60mm.

60 mm is just a bit longer than 50 and shorter than 90mm. I like that. Was thinking it would be an ideal allround lens with an extra focus on Portraits. Is the 60mm a good lens for portraits? Does it have nice enough fall-of and out of focus.

Any samples would be appreciated. If i missed some lens i should consider please let me know. (i think 90mm is to long) so if a specific 50mm is better. Let me know.

Suggestions about 28mm and which versions are also appreciated. I know nothing about the R system so help is appreciated.

Edited by RvN

Some months ago I took the plunge into the R system with the purchase of an R5. After reading / gaining info from quite a few sources I bought the 60mm Macro Elmarit-R and have found it to be a very versatile lens.  However - portraiture is not something I do and probably the nearest to it is this one:-

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Some of the R lenses had variations produced which were much improved over earlier versions, and, of course, there are compatibilities/incompatibilities among R bodies, so you will need to do some research to determine which lenses will work with your body. Karen Nakamura has a nice chart on her website which should help you out.http://www.photoethnography.com/equipment.html . Also Doug Herr at www.wildlightphoto.com has interesting comparative info on R lenses. You do need to contact him to gain access to this info though.

• Like 2

Hi,

I use 35 Summicron, 50 Lux and 60 but for portraiture I use the 90 Summicron. I like the way it renders...and with 35 Summicron (both Mandler designs)it is a good combination. But I also think about the 80 Summilux.

Michael

Edited by michaelm3
  • Like 1

I don't do much portraiture at all, but 90 is of course the conventionally preferred focal length. What I can say is that the 90/2 Apo Aspherical is a lens which I find a bit too ruthlessly sharp and unforgiving in this role. I'm sure James' suggestion of an Elmarit 90/2.8 is an excellent suggestion. 

I've kind of bodged the issue on those few occasions when I've been asked to do a portrait, and purely in terms of the lenses I've got to hand, and rather idiosyncratically, I've used a 50/2 with a 2x apo extender, to give the focal length without the ruthlessness. I could also have tried my 100/2.8 I suppose, but haven't yet done so.

• Like 2

On a side note i just handled a R3 and R4 yesterday and the R4 had much more shutter lag. Reading about it i come across some mentioning about shutter lag on the R6(.2) also..

If the R6 would have the shutter lag of the r4 I experienced i would not want to buy it. Not sure if the specific camera needed a cla. 

Can any of the users confirm the shutter is nice and responsive and can compare with the M system or is it there a real lag to be expected (even if CLAed recently) with the R6(.2)??  (Maybe even, should i look for F3/fm3a and have te R-glass converted)

Edited by RvN

I would go for a 90 Cron (pre-ASPH !) rather than buy the 60 Macro Elmarit. Both are relatively inexpensive and can be found at comparable prices.

Although I do like the 60 very much as multi-purpose prime lens that is usually always attached to one of my R bodies, it is outshined (literally) by the 90 cron when shooting portraits. The 90 is a bit less sharp and gives the portrait a certain "shine" so that the results are more pleasing (at least to my eye). It you can dig a little bit deeper ($$) go for the 80 lux for prtraits.

• Like 1

Can any of the users confirm the shutter is nice and responsive and can compare with the M system or is it there a real lag to be expected (even if CLAed recently) with the R6(.2)??  (Maybe even, should i look for F3/fm3a and have te R-glass converted)

If you buy an FM3a (I have one) you should not convert glass, but just use the Nikon Ai-S lenses, they are really really good actually and they are still being made and can be bought brand new from Nikon.

I have the:

50mm 1:1.2 Ai-S

28mm 1:2.8 Ai-S

28mm 1:2.0 Ai-S

85mm 1:1.4 Ai-S

20mm 1:2.8 Ai-S

All really good lenses. 

The 28mm 1:2.8 Ai-S has floating elements which makes it focus all the way to 15 or 20 cm with great clarity and detail! 

The 28mm 1:2.0 Ai-S has floating elements too but not as good as the 2.8 but it's a great lens and has a lovely creamy bokeh for such a wide angle lens.

The 50mm 1:1.2 Ai-S is dreamy wide open but at F2 it's extremely sharp (the sharpest Nikon 50mm lens in the center) and it slow gets worse towards the edges, which you expect from a optical design like the lens has.

The other lenses 85 and 20 are nice but not special, which by no mean is a bad thing to be honest! They are just good. 

The Leica R lenses of the later era are usually more focused at quality across the whole field with better corners but lower peak performance in the centre, while the earlier R lenses are more focused at good quality in the centre and lower in the corner. The Nikon Ai-S lenses are the same: Great in the center a bit less so in the corners (until you stop down).

The R6.2 has not much shutter lag it's usually the piston in the camera that needs cleaning, ALL Leica R cameras except the R8/R9 exhibit this when bought second hand I have noticed, a CLA always fixes this. 

• Like 3

If you buy an FM3a (I have one) you should not convert glass, but just use the Nikon Ai-S lenses, they are really really good actually and they are still being made and can be bought brand new from Nikon.

I have the:

50mm 1:1.2 Ai-S

28mm 1:2.8 Ai-S

28mm 1:2.0 Ai-S

85mm 1:1.4 Ai-S

20mm 1:2.8 Ai-S

All really good lenses. 

The 28mm 1:2.8 Ai-S has floating elements which makes it focus all the way to 15 or 20 cm with great clarity and detail! 

The 28mm 1:2.0 Ai-S has floating elements too but not as good as the 2.8 but it's a great lens and has a lovely creamy bokeh for such a wide angle lens.

The 50mm 1:1.2 Ai-S is dreamy wide open but at F2 it's extremely sharp (the sharpest Nikon 50mm lens in the center) and it slow gets worse towards the edges, which you expect from a optical design like the lens has.

The other lenses 85 and 20 are nice but not special, which by no mean is a bad thing to be honest! They are just good. 

The Leica R lenses of the later era are usually more focused at quality across the whole field with better corners but lower peak performance in the centre, while the earlier R lenses are more focused at good quality in the centre and lower in the corner. The Nikon Ai-S lenses are the same: Great in the center a bit less so in the corners (until you stop down).

The R6.2 has not much shutter lag it's usually the piston in the camera that needs cleaning, ALL Leica R cameras except the R8/R9 exhibit this when bought second hand I have noticed, a CLA always fixes this. 

HI Jip, Thanx very much.

CLA to clean pistons is expensive i hear. What would a complete CLA cost? And who does it (In NL, D?)

Any body know if the loudness of the shutter of R6 is much less than FM2?

Edited by RvN

Hi Guys,

Thinking of getting an R6 as compliment of my M system. 

If i want two lenses: i am thinking of  28mm and 60mm.

60 mm is just a bit longer than 50 and shorter than 90mm. I like that. Was thinking it would be an ideal allround lens with an extra focus on Portraits. Is the 60mm a good lens for portraits? Does it have nice enough fall-of and out of focus.

Any samples would be appreciated. If i missed some lens i should consider please let me know. (i think 90mm is to long) so if a specific 50mm is better. Let me know.

Suggestions about 28mm and which versions are also appreciated. I know nothing about the R system so help is appreciated.

Hard to answer your question but for the most pleasant portraits I would choose a lens about 60mm

I think you know about the distortion of faces if you take a wideangle right ?

With the M the 90mm was for me the end of the line because the 135mm which I had too was a pain

to use.......

For my R I love(d) the Vario-Elmar 4,0/80-200 which is a amazing and extrem sharp lens with nice Bokeh

but unfortunately hard to get & a little expensive - compared to some M glass still a bargain !

• Like 1

The R 60 is a terrific lens. I do not have any portraits to show you with it, but here are some shots which show its character. I use it on the SL 601 and the T. Macro is superb. Colors are excellent. 

Another portrait lens to consider is the R 80 1.4, albeit likely a bit more expensive than the 60mm.  The R 80 is a lens I'll likely never sell because of the uniqueness.

I had the 80-200 f4 and it was superb as well, but I recently sold it as I wanted the SL 90-280 for its longer length and AF capacity and image stabilization. 

If you decide to opt for the R 60, I am thinking of selling mine so send me a note. 

Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 2

More R 60 shots

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 2