Next TL wish list

I would love a reduced shutter baffle area, without the massive step-like assembly.

This would be so that lenses such as the Contax G Hologon 8/16 and the Contax G Biogon 2.8/21 can be used with the T/TL/TL2/CL. They would make amazing 24mm and 32mm options.

Next firmware wishlist: ability to use the camera with external flashes / in the studio. It's a shame it can't be done now

Next TL wishlist: faster operations, that's all. Dreamy wishlist: IS would sound like a good idea although I wouldn't use it much / at all. Better shutter sound. 10% or so smaller camera overall

I still love the T/TL2 design for the most part, but wish for one feature enhancement - for manual focusing - on the T/TL2 (besides general performance improvements to match the CL).

I have come to work around the T/TL2’s AF hunting by programming the left function wheel to be for Auto/Manual focus mode (with Auto-magnification separately turned “on”, because I often rely on the magnification to get most accurate manual focus - even with T lenses (when they can’t lock AF). (i typically shoot in Aperture priority mode with Auto ISO set.

This leaves me short of a function wheel to use for EV Compensation, forcing me to go through more menu touches for that, when needed. (It turns out I need the focus mode quick/change ability MORE than I typically need to change EV.)

It’d be great if the Video button could be reassigned to be an Auto/Manual focus mode toggle, in addition to the other functions already mapped for the TL2.

Another way to handle this might be to have Auto Magnify automatically turned on when you tweak Manual focus of T lenses (in AF mode) by half-pressing the shutter and turning the focus collar. (Presently it doesn’t magnify). If this could be user-selectable, that’d be super. This approach might even be viable on the T.

If speed and performance were otherwise equal (TL2 vs CL), I wouldn’t have as big an itch to upgrade to the CL if I could easily toggle between Auto and Magnified Manual focus AND have a quick ability to change EV.

I realize the Video button options may be “hard wired” on the T and TL2. Making manual focus magnification to be a selectable option to use with the half-shutter-press approach may be more plausible as a firmware change.

I feel this is important because these TL lenses with CDAF still have finicky AF - and this is the best way I have found to compensate for their mediocre hit rate, without slowing me down too much.

While I know you can often see the “shimmer” to grab best Manual focus, often when the AF has a problem, it’s because there’s not enough contrast for AF or that “shimmer”.

I welcome other suggestions or work arounds here in the mean time.

• 2 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I love the interface on the TL but do long for a built in EVF. Don't think I'll ever see it though. jc

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!