Next TL wish list

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ok, the CL is out. For me, not too tempted because I like the T design, the interface, the look.....more. Different strokes for different folks. But if Leica is going to continue upgrading the T/TL camera, I have a request. Please give us a better EVF, both in looks, performance, and resolution! The ‘periscope’ is the most unpopular thing. You, Leica, can design this better. Make it look like it belongs attached.

• Like 4

Manual controls for video similar to the SL. Many people have the TL2 as a 2nd system system camera to the SL. It shares very similar sensor and processor technologies. Adding these features are simply a matter of choice. Even adding manual exposure control and a few more frame rates (24 please please please) and codec options (log) would really make a difference.

I'd love to see Leica come up with a dual control option for the T - to use it as it is, or with the traditional menus as found in the new CL. I would assume that this could be developed electronically. Just push a button for the operating system one would like to use.

Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1

You could start another thread of features of the CL that should be implemented in the TL2. Here's two:

- faster AF. I don't understand how the 60, which can be sluggish on the TL2, suddenly moves at high speed on the CL.

- horizon, histogram, grid and clipping all on the same screen. They're now all there on the CL. The SL needs this upgrade as well.

• Like 1

Rather, should have been more specific and named this thread “Next TL EVF wish list”. We can go on and on about performance and features of the TL that have been discussed already. The current design/look of the EVF is the biggest eye sore of the TL. Needs to be totally redone, even if doesn’t improve the performance. It should look like it belongs on the TL and not an after thought. I will even accept a smaller design. Right now it is goofy looking. I use it, but always am just a tad aware it is weird. And then there is the weak joint that wears out with use that won’t keep the tilt snapped down. This is not Leica quality for the price of this turkey.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Rather, should have been more specific and named this thread “Next TL EVF wish list”. We can go on and on about performance and features of the TL that have been discussed already. The current design/look of the EVF is the biggest eye sore of the TL. Needs to be totally redone, even if doesn’t improve the performance. It should look like it belongs on the TL and not an after thought. I will even accept a smaller design. Right now it is goofy looking. I use it, but always am just a tad aware it is weird. And then there is the weak joint that wears out with use that won’t keep the tilt snapped down. This is not Leica quality for the price of this turkey.

Does Leica Camera AG have the in-house resources to design a smaller add-on EVF c/w GPS? Is Leica in the business of actually designing and manufacturing add-on EVFs or do they have to use whatever third party manufacturers can offer?  The 020 VISO is likely made by Epson (it's made in Indonesia … lift up the hinge to see the logo)  and is likely as small as Epson can currently make it. Consider what is inside the Viso 020 including the diopter adjustment and the GPS module; there are 19 electronic contacts on the shoe; the VISO 020 currently serves three cameras and will likely serve more variants of the TL and M10 series in the future. If the VISO 020 is unique to / dedicated to, the M10 and TL series plus the X and required a 'minimum' order before it could be put into production, then would that number have been met? It's unreasonable to expect the 020 to be redesigned just because some TL users find it a little on the large size. The GPS 'innards' likely add to its size. 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

Something else that irritated me about the TL2's firmware that has been corrected in the CL: when using SL lenses, the OIS On or Off setting should remain fixed after turning the camera off. On the TL2 it is Off by default, and reverts to Off on switch off, even if you've set it On. I spoiled a number of shots because of this. 

The one change I would most like to see in the TL series is for the right top dial's function to be assignable in the same manner as the left top dial--at least when a manual focus lens is attached.  I wrote to Leica about this some time ago and the response I received was that it probably could be done with a firmware change.  But the reply gave no indication that it it might or will be done.

Does Leica Camera AG have the in-house resources to design a smaller add-on EVF c/w GPS? Is Leica in the business of actually designing and manufacturing add-on EVFs or do they have to use whatever third party manufacturers can offer?  The 020 VISO is likely made by Epson (it's made in Indonesia … lift up the hinge to see the logo)  and is likely as small as Epson can currently make it. Consider what is inside the Viso 020 including the diopter adjustment and the GPS module; there are 19 electronic contacts on the shoe; the VISO 020 currently serves three cameras and will likely serve more variants of the TL and M10 series in the future. If the VISO 020 is unique to / dedicated to, the M10 and TL series plus the X and required a 'minimum' order before it could be put into production, then would that number have been met? It's unreasonable to expect the 020 to be redesigned just because some TL users find it a little on the large size. The GPS 'innards' likely add to its size. 

dunk

So, you think the 020 is perfectly fine, even though it’s the reason many avoid the T! How ridiculous. And pardon those of us for breathing for caring if the T line survives. You clearly don’t understand why it is an eye sore and always playing the defender, which is rather odd in this response for this tiny part that can be designed better.

I know you love to spar, and I am not going down that path. But your wrong on this one, dunk. We are not just “some TL users”. Poo poo somebody else. Totally lost my respect on this one.

So, you think the 020 is perfectly fine, even though it’s the reason many avoid the T! How ridiculous. And pardon those of us for breathing for caring if the T line survives. You clearly don’t understand why it is an eye sore and always playing the defender, which is rather odd in this response for this tiny part that can be designed better.

I know you love to spar, and I am not going down that path. But your wrong on this one, dunk. We are not just “some TL users”. Poo poo somebody else. Totally lost my respect on this one.

Maybe you've taken the comments too personally? … Not trying / attempting to 'poo poo' anyone … Just tried to state a few reasons why the 020 is what it is and state the broader picture i.e. its use with other cameras over the last 3½ years . Not trying to spar with anyone.

However, apologies if you took things personally.

dunk 

• Like 1

Maybe you've taken the comments too personally … Not trying / attempting to 'poo poo' anyone … Just tried to state a few reasons why the 020 is what it is and state the broader picture i.e. its use with other cameras. Not trying to spar with anyone.

However, apologies if you took things personally.

dunk

Apology accepted. But would also like to point out, if you actually look at your 020, do you have one?, am assuming we are talking the same one, mine says made by Leica and nowhere does it say otherwise except made in Indonesia. One can not assume that means Epsom designed it. If you have info that proves Epsom designed and built it, please let us know.

Apology accepted. But would also like to point out, if you actually look at your 020, do you have one?, am assuming we are talking the same one, mine says made by Leica and nowhere does it say otherwise except made in Indonesia. One can not assume that means Epsom designed it. If you have info that proves Epsom designed and built it, please let us know.

If you "open up" the viewfinder to a right angle, in small print it says "Made in Indonesia".

• Like 2

Epson makes / made accessory EVFs for various camera manufacturers including Olympus and Leica … made in Indonesia and China … but I'm not going to start quoting or posting links proving same. 

Yes, I do have an 020 … bought 3 years ago with my original Leica T.  EVF size partly depends on the specified magnification.  

dunk 

• Like 1

020>>

Seiko Epson Corporation (TSE: 6724, "Epson") today announced that its Ultimicron electronic viewfinder technology is equipped as standard in the Leica Visoflex electronic viewfinder for the new Leica T camera

Designed exclusively for the camera system LEICA T, Visoflex is an optional high-resolution electronic viewfinder that opens up new possibilities to expand customer's creative horizons.

First launched in 2009, Ultimicron is based on the HTPS technology that has been behind Epson's success as global projector market leader for thirteen successive years.*2 Thanks to high transmission technology, Ultimicron ensures sufficient visibility in any environment. Using Ultimicron, photographers can focus expertly reproducing rich color gradations and natural blurring when required. Measuring 0.48 inches diagonally, the Ultimicron boasts XGA (1024 x RGB x 768), 2.36 million dot resolution, and provides the quality required by Leica.

In addition, the use of a color filter prevents the color break-up*3 that can occur with other color systems when shooting fast-moving subjects and while panning. These specifications allow the creation of the easy-to-see and natural viewfinder strongly demanded by serious camera users.

Leica SL>>

Seiko Epson Corporation (TSE: 6724, "Epson") today announced that it has recently begun shipping its latest high-resolution Ultimicron panels for electronic viewfinders (EVF).

The new panels boast the highest resolution among volume-produced products for digital camera EVFs

Epson has continued to refine the performance of its Ultimicron panels with the aim of achieving the natural and beautiful images required by quality EVFs. Measuring 0.66 inches diagonally, the new Ultimicron boasts resolution of 4.41-million dots (SXGA+ (1400 x RGB x 1050)) - approximately double the resolution of conventional XGA products - and provides camera manufacturers with greater optical design flexibility, for example lens selection or magnification ratio.

By expanding the color gamut by about 30% compared with existing products, Epson has allowed users to adjust the screen to their preferred color.

links

Epson makes / made lots of accessory EVFs for various camera manufacturers including Olympus and Leica … made in Indonesia and China … but I'm not going to start quoting or posting links proving same. 

Yes, I do have an 020 … bought 3 years ago with my original Leica T. 

dunk 

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 1

020>>

Seiko Epson Corporation (TSE: 6724, "Epson") today announced that its Ultimicron electronic viewfinder technology is equipped as standard in the Leica Visoflex electronic viewfinder for the new Leica T camera

Designed exclusively for the camera system LEICA T, Visoflex is an optional high-resolution electronic viewfinder that opens up new possibilities to expand customer's creative horizons.

First launched in 2009, Ultimicron is based on the HTPS technology that has been behind Epson's success as global projector market leader for thirteen successive years.*2 Thanks to high transmission technology, Ultimicron ensures sufficient visibility in any environment. Using Ultimicron, photographers can focus expertly reproducing rich color gradations and natural blurring when required. Measuring 0.48 inches diagonally, the Ultimicron boasts XGA (1024 x RGB x 768), 2.36 million dot resolution, and provides the quality required by Leica.

In addition, the use of a color filter prevents the color break-up*3 that can occur with other color systems when shooting fast-moving subjects and while panning. These specifications allow the creation of the easy-to-see and natural viewfinder strongly demanded by serious camera users.

Leica SL>>

Seiko Epson Corporation (TSE: 6724, "Epson") today announced that it has recently begun shipping its latest high-resolution Ultimicron panels for electronic viewfinders (EVF).

The new panels boast the highest resolution among volume-produced products for digital camera EVFs

Epson has continued to refine the performance of its Ultimicron panels with the aim of achieving the natural and beautiful images required by quality EVFs. Measuring 0.66 inches diagonally, the new Ultimicron boasts resolution of 4.41-million dots (SXGA+ (1400 x RGB x 1050)) - approximately double the resolution of conventional XGA products - and provides camera manufacturers with greater optical design flexibility, for example lens selection or magnification ratio.

By expanding the color gamut by about 30% compared with existing products, Epson has allowed users to adjust the screen to their preferred color.

links

Thank you … and they're not designed 'overnight' … design and development takes months. I once worked for Chloride Electronics and am aware of product development times … and costs. 

dunk  

yes im guessing 2-3 years..as the Oly EVF was released in 2013..keep on improving the design

pity they didn't put the SL's EVF on the CL...but that would be "looney" ;)

Thank you … and they're not designed 'overnight' … design and development takes months. I once worked for Chloride Electronics and am aware of product development times.

dunk  

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 2

I agree with Dee that the EVF is a bit of a carbuncle on the TL, but I just use it, to be honest.

There’s a lot in there, apparently. I did ask Leica why they weren’t using the SL viewfinder more (it’s a huge point of difference). Their response was it’s just too big.

Edited by IkarusJohn