Poll: Will you buy a Leica CL?

Will you buy a Leica CL?  

325 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy a Leica CL?

• Definitely - where’s the pre-order form?
    • I'm Interested, but I’ll wait for tests and reviews
    • Would like to have one but too expensive
    • No thanks, for me only full format or bigger
    • No thanks, I don’t like design/handling
    • Simply not interested

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was told, some time ago, that this is exactly what is happening. Mind you, it has its good sides as well, as competing design teams will be pushed to excel to get their design approved.

This, and 3 bodies (TL, TL2 and CL) in a year, it seems Leica is pulling a Sony on us...  ;)

This raises an interesting philosophical question - the CL will still be a fabulous camera, but is there still a space some want filled between the TL2 and the SL, and what would it be? Full frame or APS-C? I don’t fully understand this, as I would have expected the CL and TL2 to be just different options of the same camera (and fundamentally they are).

This was also one of my first reactions.  No world class EVF, no image stabilization, no GPS, etc...  Leica is keeping a high end APS-C up its sleeve.  

My guess would be 1-2 years from now and whether it will ever materialize probably depends on how well the CL/TL2 do and how many TL-lenses get sold.  

Just my 2 cents...

I am disappointed that Leica went with a CL rather than a TL-3, however I will order a CL when they make a silver version available. I really disslike black cameras.

I prefer silver too, when will they announce availability, I  have pre ordered black but willing to wait

This was also one of my first reactions.  No world class EVF, no image stabilization, no GPS, etc...  Leica is keeping a high end APS-C up its sleeve.  

My guess would be 1-2 years from now and whether it will ever materialize probably depends on how well the CL/TL2 do and how many TL-lenses get sold.  

Just my 2 cents...

All reviewers are quite enthusiastic about the EVF. Genuine question: On what do you base your conclusion? have you looked through it?

IBIS and GPS are not really hallmarks of a top-end camera. They may be useful from time to time -especially IS is a firm favourite of mine-, but the Nikon D850 has neither.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All reviewers are quite enthusiastic about the EVF. Genuine question: On what do you base your conclusion? have you looked through it?

World class means SL EVF for me and I have not read one review that said it was that good...

I am sure it is good though, as it should be, given the price of the camera.

I've been thinking of ways to justify purchasing this new shiny camera which is always exciting  :) 

I use a M10 and Q for casual photography. I also have a Panny GX8 and Fuji X-T2 for family, work and events. The GX8 is an interesting camera as I use it as a fixed-lens camera with the 42.5/1.2 Nocticron. It serves as a 28/85mm wedding and event combo when used with my Q.  I love that it shares the same battery as the Q along with the same ultrasonic AF speed. The X-T2 is used with F2.8 zooms mainly for shooting my kids, blog/sns photos at work, and some occasional motorsport. I'd have to sort through my gear to able to afford a Leica CL + 11-23 + M mount adapter. I see the CL serving two purposes: 1) as a backup for my M10 and 2) as a complimentary camera to my Q. My usage of the CL would be too similar to the GX8, so naturally that would the first gear I'd sell. The X-T2 needs to stay for it's versatility.

Other gear that needs to be sold:

42.5 Nocticron

P14-140

XF16/1.4

downgrade XF50-140 + 1.4x teleconverter to a XF55-200

I hate the idea of losing my Nocticron. It's my favorite portrait lens, more so than my XF56/1.2 and 90/2.8 Elmarit. But I also don't want to add a 4th system to my collection. I feel uncomfortable with 3 systems already, so the m43 system needs to go.

Hmm... decisions... decisions.....  :p

Edited by Mr.Q

World class means SL EVF for me and I have not read one review that said it was that good...

” Better than the Q” Good enough for me...

From B&H (and rounded):

CL, $2,800; TL2, $1,950; SL, $6,000

Looks like when comparing the TL2 and the CL, the charge for an EVF is $850. When comparing the CL to the SL, the price for upgrading to a full-frame sensor is a whopping $3,200.

That's why I won't be buying the CL. The T (ver. 01) without EVF, used with M-mount lenses with Depth-of-Field markings, suffices.

• Like 2

My dilemma is different from most of the posterss here. I had owned a Canon F1 that I bought from Canon back in 1982 along with a bag full of lenses. I loaned it 7 years ago to my father until he passed just over 3 years ago when I got it all back. I realized I didn't enjoy hauling around a bag full of stuff that didn't really get used most of the time, so sold it all. A few months later I read about the DL - 109 and it seemed perfect in offering control but a smaller size and lower weight. I've been happy knowing that most of my improvements in photography have come from being open to seeing what's there and capturing it, not being distracted hunting for another lens. I had thought until last week it might be worth a look at the Q - IQ, simplicity and just being more Leica-like than my obviously Panasonic based 109. Now I'm questioning whether the path leads to the CL instead...I'm sure expert opinions can be offered here and would be gratefully received! 

According to Sein Reid, "It's not cutting edge but it is competent". Quite decent if it is as good as my A7s mod's 2.36MP EVF i guess.

With real respect to Sean (a good friend) I think in this context that possibly he hasn't quite realised the lack of flicker the new EVF shows - he is always very concerned about too much contrast and blacked out shadows, but for most of us the real decider as to whether an EVF is good  are

1. how big it is (0.74 is good if not class leading)

2. whether there is flicker when panning (which there isn't)

• Like 1

My dilemma is different from most of the posterss here. I had owned a Canon F1 that I bought from Canon back in 1982 along with a bag full of lenses. I loaned it 7 years ago to my father until he passed just over 3 years ago when I got it all back. I realized I didn't enjoy hauling around a bag full of stuff that didn't really get used most of the time, so sold it all. A few months later I read about the DL - 109 and it seemed perfect in offering control but a smaller size and lower weight. I've been happy knowing that most of my improvements in photography have come from being open to seeing what's there and capturing it, not being distracted hunting for another lens. I had thought until last week it might be worth a look at the Q - IQ, simplicity and just being more Leica-like than my obviously Panasonic based 109. Now I'm questioning whether the path leads to the CL instead...I'm sure expert opinions can be offered here and would be gratefully received! 

Well

The Q is lovely, but if you're used to the 109, then the lack of a zoom lens would probably be restrictive. I'd think that the CL with the 18-56 would be a lovely replacement for your 109

It certainly isn't as big as the SL . . so I haven't said it's that good either

But it IS good, and possibly better in very bright light (the only achilles heel of the SL EVF). 

Well

The Q is lovely, but if you're used to the 109, then the lack of a zoom lens would probably be restrictive. I'd think that the CL with the 18-56 would be a lovely replacement for your 109

Thanks Jono - Agree with your logic, however i like the ability to go 2 stops faster with the 109 and also the built in macro. That leads you to either the Q and using your feet, or a CL with the TL 23 and TL 60 Macro. Either way I need to do more work in the gym!