Poll: Will you buy a Leica CL?

Will you buy a Leica CL?  

325 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy a Leica CL?

• Definitely - where’s the pre-order form?
    • I'm Interested, but I’ll wait for tests and reviews
    • Would like to have one but too expensive
    • No thanks, for me only full format or bigger
    • No thanks, I don’t like design/handling
    • Simply not interested

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A sour note amid all this enthusiasm! Personally I was shocked to unbox my new CL and find it so light and small in the hands. No-one else has criticised this but I keep pressing the right control button rather than the more forwardly set shutter release. I don't find the CL haptics suit me and frankly I was immediately tempted to sell at a loss but will, I think, keep on the basis of image quality with M lenses.

It's best to have the CL in the hand before laying out a deposit, but I guess many will have ordered from dealers unable to offer this facility.

Fingers are easy to train. :D

If they made a mini-SL type camera; with all the same buttons and menu system as the SL, I would buy it immediately. Or sooner.

Well, that’s certainly what I thought when I first saw it, and it would be good to have a joy stick instead of the 4 way panel. . . . But I think the decision was to go in the M10 direction rather than the SL direction, and apart from a bit of a hicup as to where the play button is, I’ve grown rather to love it.

. . In fact, it’s brought up slight irritations with the SL interface, and I do think that the function buttons (even though there are only two) are better implemented than they are on the SL.

Whatever - there is absolutely no problem in running the two cameras next to each other (I’ve been doing it since June).

. . . . And it’s fun!

• Like 2

Hey Jono, i will try it. I originally thought the SL was not for me and the M was enough ... 4 mins handling it and it was mine, and the M was traded in.

In this case the CL would replace my X1. But maybe the TL suits me better?

Got to try them all:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No CL for me until I become dissatisfied with my Lumix GX8 with its Panny-Leica glass. I would sell the Lumix system before I bought a CL and would wait for the CL2. I read that the af on the CL is not exceptional — it is on the GX8. I would never give up my M. For what I use a cropped sensor system for, the GX8 with Panny-Leica glass is Superb.

Tom

• Like 1

I am one who voted interested but too expensive. I have my Leica M cameras and lenses that I have had for years. Yes they are film and of course they are wonderful for that. In spite of the fact that the CL (apparently) does almost everything I could want in a digital camera, I stumble when it comes to spending so much money on something that will be essentially worthless and likely out-dated in a few short years. I can justify the spend on lenses but not on the digital body. But that's me...

I am one who voted interested but too expensive. I have my Leica M cameras and lenses that I have had for years. Yes they are film and of course they are wonderful for that. In spite of the fact that the CL (apparently) does almost everything I could want in a digital camera, I stumble when it comes to spending so much money on somethso ing that will be essentially worthless and likely out-dated in a few short years. I can justify the spend on lenses but not on the digital body. But that's me...

What can I say... My M9  (2009), is still my favourite M camera to use, I  occasionally use my DMR (2005) and Digilux2 (2004), My M8 (2006) is still in use with my brother. Leica digitals are not so short-lived...

• Like 2

I don't consider anything as inevitable, either "succumbing" or not.

One of the things that makes me reluctant to go for it is that I haven't had a chance to get up to SF and handle one in person yet. I thought I might get there last week, but there's been no time for that.

I'm not sure why, but the website is telling me I don't have permission to edit my earlier response. 

No matter: I decided against buying it for the moment. I'll see what happens after the holidays when I have time to go to the Leica Store and handle one in person.

What can I say... My M9  (2009), is still my favourite M camera to use, I  occasionally use my DMR (2005) and Digilux2 (2004), My M8 (2006) is still in use with my brother. Leica digitals are not so short-lived...

Thanks Japp. It is encouraging to hear you say this. Although I can see that Digilux 2, led to DMR, led to M8, M9 etc. There may well be others too (240/M10)? This is the slippery slope that scares me so much. That said, your point is a good one; if you're content with what you have then there is no reason you couldn't use the camera for many years. Cheers - Mark.