Poll: Will you buy a Leica CL?

Will you buy a Leica CL?  

325 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy a Leica CL?

• Definitely - where’s the pre-order form?
    • I'm Interested, but I’ll wait for tests and reviews
    • Would like to have one but too expensive
    • No thanks, for me only full format or bigger
    • No thanks, I don’t like design/handling
    • Simply not interested

Why do you trade in your 23mm? YOu can still use it on the CL and get a 35mm fov. I am going for the body only, I am not sure yet for the 18mm.

Because of what I wanted the TL2 for and what I now want the CL for. It's the camera I take when I'm not going out for photography - social occasions. For that I want as small a package as possible, and a 28mm equivalent is good for such occasions. I am also keeping the 60 because it is so good for close up and macro, and I don't have an equivalent for the M or SL. I have no other TL lenses, and I don't intend to build a system around the CL; I have the SL and M240, and M lenses from 21 to 75 (and SL zooms) which I can also use on the CL. The 23 would see little use, and I keep my finance manager on side by not keeping kit that I don't use!

• Like 1

Because of what I wanted the TL2 for and what I now want the CL for. It's the camera I take when I'm not going out for photography - social occasions. For that I want as small a package as possible, and a 28mm equivalent is good for such occasions. I am also keeping the 60 because it is so good for close up and macro, and I don't have an equivalent for the M or SL. I have no other TL lenses, and I don't intend to build a system around the CL; I have the SL and M240, and M lenses from 21 to 75 (and SL zooms) which I can also use on the CL. The 23 would see little use, and I keep my finance manager on side by not keeping kit that I don't use!

Makes sense, thanks. I thought that because the 23mm has one extra stop of light and a focal length I prefer, that it makes more sense for me to stick with it. But it is a bit bigger and a bit slower to auto-focus. The macro on the CL felt great, I never considered it before, but maybe now I will try to get it.

Makes sense, thanks. I thought that because the 23mm has one extra stop of light and a focal length I prefer, that it makes more sense for me to stick with it. But it is a bit bigger and a bit slower to auto-focus. The macro on the CL felt great, I never considered it before, but maybe now I will try to get it.

I also use the TL2 for photographing grandchildren (less intimidating than the SL). It hasn't been great for that because AF was not quick enough. I'm hoping the improved AF on the CL, and the very quick focussing 18mm, will make it more useful.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 2

I am at the top of the queue at my dealer and have pre-paid to secure my place there. He is hoping to get a few (very few) deliveries in December. I will also buy the 11-23 TL wide zoom as well as the standard zoom 18-56. I am not sure why some folks felt the kit would be later than the body, as the standard zoom lens is already in full time production for the T series cameras, as is the wide zoom. They may have been thinking of the kit with the new 18mm pancake lens. I have cancelled my pre-order for the 16-35 SL zoom. For longer distances, I will use my 80-200/f4 R lens, as I am selling the 90-280SL lens, which I have found too heavy, now being rather feeble. I may buy an R to SL/TL adapter, as I just don't like stacking the R to M with the M to SL/TL, although it does seem to work. 

Does anyone know if these TL lenses are the usual Leica "near optical perfection" or the more modern concept of permitting those distortions/aberrations, which can be well corrected in camera like the Q lens?  .....or a halfway house? 

Wilson

Could be of interest for me to enlarge tele possibilities of my SL 90/280. But only for this purpose the price is too

high. If it will come down later on to a region of under Euro 2000 I will perhaps buy one. By the way I would prefer a

1,4 extender by Leica - but it seems that they do nothing at all in this respect.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm awaiting a dealer's and Leica Camera AG's decision about a refund for my faulty thus returned, replacement TL2 (both the original and replacement had / have same fault) before I can consider ordering a CL … meantime have to use the original T which is getting a bit dated. I still have faith in Leica products but their customer service could be better. Situation has been dragging on since August :( and no solution yet. 

dunk 

Hi Wilson,

In my experience the overall output of the T lenses is first rate, but they do use a combination of optical and digital correction to achieve this. The 11-23 is a fine lens that will give you a lot of pleasure.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the CL, I was very impressed with what I saw yesterday.

Best regards,

Andrew

Hi Wilson

These TL lenses resolve detail to 60 line pairs per millimeter. That’s as sharp or sharper than older designed M lenses which were engineered to only 40 line pairs/mm.

The detail you can capture - particularly from the 35mmTL and the 11-23 TL wide zoom is quite amazing. You won’t be disappointed because of the IQ.

That said, there is s/w correction also going on here, but it’s Leica glass - so the microcontrast and shadow details are pure Leica.

Read Thorsten Overgaard’s review. He goes into detail here and says the IQ and “Leica look” from the TL2/CL are similar to the larger FF Leica rigs.

Good luck with your new CL. It is a fantastic camera to use for sure.

Edited by Guest

I'm not interested - I'm happy with the TL2, and I prefer its looks and functionality.

The next Leica camera that will interest me is the M-D version of the M10, with compatibility with my EVF 020, the ability to move the magnification point without focus and recompose and WiFi.  In black paint, for a change.

I might be dreaming ...

I had two T's and sold both in frustration, the menu system was well thought out but too many button presses.  Af was slow despite all the improvements.  The reports for each new camera (T2 and TL2) say the af is faster but it is like buying a new laptop computer, the speed and battery life is always reported as improved but the incremental improvements are miniscule.  I am not hearing great reports on af speed for this camera and I already tried the TL2 expecting improvement but little was found.  I have all three zoom lenses, waiting for this announcement to make a decision whether to sell or keep.  I love my SL and will sell these T lenses in anticipation of the SL16-35mm lens.  I can't fault the lenses for the T series (what is it now called, I guess TL/CL?) they are phenomenal optics, Leica has never disappointed on optics but the cameras are falling far behind the competition.   Ibis, articulated screens, a good wifi system, PDAF?  

• Like 1

If I was in the market for a mirrorless camera, yep. I'd get one.

I think it looks really neat, good sized. I like the small LCD between the dials.

Edit: I voted "Simply not interested" as it most closely fitted where I am, but I feel it has negative connotations where I'm just not in the market.

Edited by michaelwj

The digital CL would make a logical upgrade to my Fuji X-E2 that i use mostly with M lenses but has too thick a sensor stack for M wides. Problem is i bought a Kolari modded Sony A7s since then and it's put the Fuji to rest already so i wonder if i would use the CL which has the same width as both the Fuji and the Sony. Hesitation...