Urgent planning considerations for my new CL

marcg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm so excited at the news of this new camera. For many years I was using a Leica/Minolta CL and I loved the small format of the camera.

However, before I can even think of buying one, I have to ask the following questions: –

What bag should I get for my new Leica CL?

What case should I get my new Leica CL?

What strap should I get my new Leica CL?

And also, I shall soon be going on holiday to Bourton on the Water, do think I should take it with me?

• Like 5

I'm so excited at the news of this new camera. For many years I was using a Leica/Minolta CL and I loved the small format of the camera.

However, before I can even think of buying one, I have to ask the following questions: –

I think the main question is: what am I going to shoot with my new Leica CL! ;)

And also, I shall soon be going on holiday to Bourton on the Water, do think I should take it with me?

• Like 1

Think about how you'll use the camera - what are your most used angles of view now?

On a Leica M (full-frame), I typically use a 35mm and 75mm the most, with some 135, 28 and 16mm for special jobs/subjects. On a Fuji X-E2, a Zeiss 25mm f/2.8 is on the camera most of the time, for a 37.5mm full-frame-equivalent angle of view. I'll carry a 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M (1972-vintage) with that camera too, for a 75mm FF-equivalent angle of view. 

My weekly blog aims primarily at travel, architecture / ruins, event, food / merchandise and some portrait photography, along with shot notes / how-to. I also shoot wildlife, but not with a Leica. So for any given trip or job, I'll carry the two or three lenses I expect to use. 

That will determine which bag you buy - it has to fit what you use most. 

Next, if you expect to use a bag that holds the camera with the lenses, a case may be unnecessary - actually a hindrance to quick capture, battery changes, and memory card changes. Most of the time, my naked M10 with Really Right Stuff L-plate / grip is around my neck. The RRS plate / grip affords some protection, easy tripod mounting, and a good grip. (It might be worth the wait for a RRS grip for the CL. ) http://www.reallyrightstuff.com

For straps, I recommend Harry Benz out of Toronto, Canada - www.harrybenz.com. No need for those ugly little body protectors - the strap is designed to be non-rubbing without them. Its split rings are also strong spring steel and designed to avoid the strap slipping off the camera. And the strap is very durable - my impression admittedly based on only a couple month's use on an M10. Its build quality seems better than the Leica strap included with the M10. https://www.harrybenz.com

As for bringing a new camera on any trip or shoot, I would carry a familiar camera and lenses along also, just in in case. When I'm new to a camera, I may be stuck with figuring something out that I know exactly how to do on an older camera. This happened to me leading a photo tour in New Mexico's Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument. My nose inadvertently put a new-to-me EOS 5D mk IV into video live view, and it took me awhile to figure out how to get it back to normal still-shooting through a viewfinder. I was very familiar with an EOS 5D mk II through years of use, and thought the mk IV would be similar. Oops!

Similarly, I've been using Leica M gear since 1969, and thought the M10 would be easy to pick up. Mostly it is, but using it for EVF / live view shooting still took a little getting used to. 

Edited by lecycliste

No need of bag, case or strap to go there :p .

Maybe those could be have when in Stow-on-the-Wold ..

In the main page, nothing to declare before entering Bourton-on-the-Water:

http://www.cotswolds.info/places/bourton-on-the-water.shtml

"Bourton-on-the-Water is only 4 miles from
Stow-on-the-Wold

"Antique Shopping - Stow is well known as an antique shopping center"

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

It appears that a sense of humour not a million miles away from mine does not cross the Atlantic from at least one reply! ;-) Edited by HighlandK
  • Like 9

I think the main question is: what am I going to shoot with my new Leica CL! ;)

Who said anything about taking pictures with it? I'm just going to walk around with it and pick up some groupies.

I have my iPhone for pictures.

• Like 6

Ha isnt there a thread like this in the M part of the forum that actually took off and is full of bag ideas?

I ordered one about 20 mins ago, first in the queue - what should I wear when I pick it up from the shop???  :p

Edited by mmanda
  • Like 3

Tell me, Jono - what cameras are you using right now, and what do you view as your keepers?

Did you really ask that? How complicated - am I obliged to answer?

Okay

Today I went out with my Nikon D810 and an 80-400 VR (and the 24-120)

Yesterday I was in London and I mostly shot with the CL and the 35 summilux TL . . a few shots with my beloved M10

If you told me I could only have one camera it would be an M10

I'll probably buy a CL, but I don't have to decide just yet.

I do own (and did pay for)

M9

M9mm

M10

SL

Nikon D810

but I don't use the M9 and M9mm very much

Does this help/confuse/elucidate?

• Like 4

Thanks Jono.  No, it doesn't confuse, but it does elucidate where you're comping from.

I had the D800e and the 80-400 VR.  To be honest, I struggled with the operating system and I didn't seem to be able to make the most of the extra resolution.  One day I was using it (at Tiritiri Matangi - an island bird sanctuary here in Auckland) and a woman looked at me and said "gosh, that's a big camera" which really said "you must have a very small penis"!  I looked at it (the camera) and thought, you're right!  It just wasn't me and I really couldn't get to grips with it (time, I know).  So, I sold it as part of my 2016 camera equipment rationalisation project.

I can't bring myself to part with my v1 Monochrom (despite its noisy shutter).  The files are just so pleasing.  Similarly, my M-A.

But for me, the SL and TL2 have become a mainstay.  One for when I can be bothered carrying a full blown camera, and the other for when I can't.

Follow up question - lenses?  I tend to group these by camera - 21 & 28 Summilux, Noctilux & 75 Summilux and the two SL zooms (SL), 50 Summilux-M, 50 Summitar and 28 Summaron-M (Monochrom, M-A & TL2) and 11-23 TL zoom and 35 Summilux-TL (TL2).

Don't feel under any pressure to answer, I'm just interested how you approach what can be a conundrum ...

Cheers

John

Edited by IkarusJohn

I think you should used a Tesco bag to disguise it

Cases are old fashioned, instead, smother it in vasceline for fast handling

Use a large rubber band as a strap, super fast shot to chest time

Don’t go to bourton on the water. Be more creative damn it ...