Daedalus2000

Leica CL - the image thread

It becomes impossible to make street photography without having people busy with a cellular phone somewhere. I wonder if Indiana Japp had the same problem in the jungles of Africa?... ;)

CL + 55-135

Edited by Louis

vor 35 Minuten schrieb Louis:

An imposing guardian.

18-56

Two super stupid busybodies! (Sorry, its not against you, Louis).

1 hour ago, jonoslack said:

Heroism 

CL with 18-56

Please teach me how you created this. It is stunningly beautiful. 

1 hour ago, albert said:

Please teach me how you created this. It is stunningly beautiful. 

HI Albert

I'm glad you like it. 

Obviously the problem was that the sky was bright and the dog was dark (I didn't have a flash). So I did my best to get an exposure which would be good enough to recover the shadows and save (at least some of) the highlights. Exposure bracketing wouldn't work because the dog would certainly move (she is always moving). 

So - the original looked like this:

I actually did the work on this with Lightroom CC on an iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil - using the brushes to actually over-expose the dog, then I dropped the exposure of the whole DNG file

(much easier to do this than to both lighten the dog and darken the sky. The difficult part (and it's not perfectly done) was to avoid a halo around the dog whilst still keeping the fur looking right. 

It took about 10 minutes to do (as far as I can remember). 

I hope that helps (perhaps I shouldn't give away my secrets!).

7 minutes ago, jonoslack said:

HI Albert

I'm glad you like it. 

Obviously the problem was that the sky was bright and the dog was dark (I didn't have a flash). So I did my best to get an exposure which would be good enough to recover the shadows and save (at least some of) the highlights. Exposure bracketing wouldn't work because the dog would certainly move (she is always moving). 

So - the original looked like this:

I actually did the work on this with Lightroom CC on an iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil - using the brushes to actually over-expose the dog, then I dropped the exposure of the whole DNG file

(much easier to do this than to both lighten the dog and darken the sky. The difficult part (and it's not perfectly done) was to avoid a halo around the dog whilst still keeping the fur looking right. 

It took about 10 minutes to do (as far as I can remember). 

I hope that helps (perhaps I shouldn't give away my secrets!).

Dear jonoslack

Thank you very much for generously explaing your technique. Top Secret, my lips are sealed. I needed your help because my Newfoundland is coal-black and very difficult to photograph. 

1 minute ago, albert said:

Dear jonoslack

Thank you very much for generously explaing your technique. Top Secret, my lips are sealed. I needed your help because my Newfoundland is coal-black and very difficult to photograph. 

Hah! Tell me about it - we used to have a black flatcoat . . . and of our two current dogs one is over-exposed and the other under!

Just a hint - when you are brushing in an exposure adjustment drastically over-do it, for instance, if you want to increase the exposure by 1/2 a stop then increase it by 2 stops and then back off afterwards - it's much much easier to see where the edges should be and where it can look nasty - so that if you can get it looking okay with 2 stops . . . it'll be great with 1/2!

best

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

Somebody polished his head with Orange Juice! :lol:

Florida sun (and orange), I suppose! lol ;)

PS: BTW, since the last presidential election in the US, the color orange became kinda “deja vu “ in this country! lol ;)

Edited by Louis

7 hours ago, jonoslack said:

Hah! Tell me about it - we used to have a black flatcoat . . . and of our two current dogs one is over-exposed and the other under!

Just a hint - when you are brushing in an exposure adjustment drastically over-do it, for instance, if you want to increase the exposure by 1/2 a stop then increase it by 2 stops and then back off afterwards - it's much much easier to see where the edges should be and where it can look nasty - so that if you can get it looking okay with 2 stops . . . it'll be great with 1/2!

best

Dear Professor,

Does photoshop have this feature. I have an iMAC desktop....or do I need to purchase an IPAD Pro ?

Yes, you can easily make local corrections in Photoshop. Lightroom is nothing more that a small-scale Photoshop with a different user interface. Plus a few practical organizing features. You can do a magnitude more in Photoshop.

There is absolutely no need to buy an iPad Pro for processing. It is as easy, or better said easier on a full-size computer. The reason to use things like iPads, Macbook Airs etc. is that it is a bit unpractical to carry a full desktop computer with you.