Would you trade a Q for the CL / CL vs Q {merged}

sblitz

My Q is a keeper, definitely. The camera under pressure in my line-up is my M9 or SL601. The size of the CL is very tempting, I am assuming it is basically a TL2 in a new jacket + evf, I wonder what the EVF quality is like compared to Q or SL?

It certainly has my tastebuds tingling with Xmas looming..... hmmmmm

• Like 1

No way but you can get the CL and 18mm kit lens for about £400 less than the Q so I suppose if you don't need FF, and f1.7 it could be a good alternative. The q is the only Leica camera I have left and I wouldn't be without it

A pity it is 28mm  not a dedicated 35mm or 50mm camera others love the 28mm lens format

Edited by imants
  • Like 1

Giving up full frame great quality images that you can crop for a smaller sensor but ability to use all Leica lenses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, never, not in a million years.

First, the Q has that great 1.7 ‘lux and the light it lets in and the bokeh it creates

Second, the ability to give me a ff image which when cropped to eff 35 fov/fl gives me the same fov as the aps-c 35mm and a very usuable 50 fov

• Like 1

Giving up full frame great quality images that you can crop for a smaller sensor but ability to use all Leica lenses?

Since the CL has a 1.5x crop factor, attach a 50mm Noctilux and you end up with the much lusted after 75mm Noctilux - or a reasonable facsimile thereof.

• Like 1

Since the CL has a 1.5x crop factor, attach a 50mm Noctilux and you end up with the much lusted after 75mm Noctilux - or a reasonable facsimile thereof.

This is kind of my thought. If I am always cropping my Q pics then isn't it better to have the longer lens on in the first place and not crop? Mathematically a 28 on the CL and cropping the Q to a 35 pic is about the same thing. Above that there are more mps on the CL because I am using a longer lens. I am of course assuming that the IQ of the CL sensor etc is on par with the Q which is great. Not one complaInt. And I have had the Q since it first came out.

I have always been an advocate of cropping in the viewfinder before pressing the shutter release, not afterwords in post processing. 

IMHO, cropping out large chunks of the image in post defeats the purpose of having a full frame sensor - particularly if you want to make exhibit quality prints.

Not quite - the real 75/1.4 on full frame would have a more narrow DOF. And is that not the reason for the wish?

Yeah I agree with others that nothing can replace the Q. The Q is already a classic. However, the CL is near perfect as a complimentary camera to the Q,  Love that it shares the same battery.  I'm interested in the 11-23 and maybe the 55-135.  Too bad there's no native portrait lens though. I guess I could use my 50 lux-m but I'd prefer a native AF lens.

Yeah I agree with others that nothing can replace the Q. The Q is already a classic. However, the CL is near perfect as a complimentary camera to the Q,  Love that it shares the same battery.  I'm interested in the 11-23 and maybe the 55-135.  Too bad there's no native portrait lens though. I guess I could use my 50 lux-m but I'd prefer a native AF lens.

The TL lenses, 35 1.4 and 60mm 2.8 macro, work quite nicely as a portrait lenses, giving one 50mm and 90mm. 

Edited by ropo54