CL reviews

helged

Some of this may have been covered, so apologies if this bores anybody. Just wondered if anybody else has had the same observations. I'm new to the site, so. . . 

Image quality for the CL is what everybody says. Great in low light/ lens is better than expected, censor and processor are above average quality, etc, etc. At any rate, I'm not qualified enough in the technology to make an informed, reasoned analysis over electronics. However, I'm still trying to get sharper images for guerrilla portraiture i.e. street photos -  getting used to what settings work best. But some other annoying observations aside from the lens cap :

The battery charger light should remain off, or red, and then turn on green when charged. It's exactly the opposite. Green means go, not stop. Why isn't there a direct plug in from the charger? Another cord adds to the junk we need to carry around. An option would have been nice. The function wheels should have more friction. They fly around while handling with great ease. The lens strap is non-adjustable? Seriously? The battery doesn't last, but it's a good thing they aren't proprietary. I also wonder about security with the wifi access. Removing the card to download pictures is just like loading and removing film, so I'm ok with no cables - and there is wireless transfer. I also wish it could take timed, bracketed, photos, and connect to a power source. 

Flash is a small problem, but it's not unique to the CL. I wonder why flash standards haven't been created so any flash can work with any camera? Light is light. Should be accessible by all. I understand every camera is different, blah blah blah. Been saying this for decades, but capitalism gets in the way. Like always. I'm sure I'll get shite for this. 

I come from olympus (among others), which placed the shutter speed on the lens mount, so I'm not unaccustomed to adapt to multiple cameras and use. It would be nice if it were a traditional set up with shutter speed on top with aperture on lens, but I can deal. Both dials should be programmable. It should have a rear focus button, or at least a programmable one. 

My observations after a few weeks. I really do like this camera, though. I just wish it didn't cost $4K. 

Ramp up the f/stop is you want auto focus to deliver spot accurate focus for a sizable enlargement. I found that if I really want a wide-open shot with tack-sharp focus on a spot, best to go to 3X on the focus screen and do it manually, results are great (see my few shots in CL on Safari). In this way its no different really from using a manual M and focusing. Anyway, that's my experience. As for the light thing, well Leica like everyone else private labels these things made elsewhere and that's everyone's light charger works similarly. Even Leica takes product design sometimes.

• Like 1

Collected my CL and M-L adapter this week. Having looked at an M10 and disliked its sheer bulk the CL is delightful. I used a Pre-war Leica III for twenty years and the CL with the M Summicron is the same type of camera. Simple, tough, and producing top class images. At last Leica have got it right - for me anyway.

• Like 2

Collected my CL and M-L adapter this week. Having looked at an M10 and disliked its sheer bulk the CL is delightful. I used a Pre-war Leica III for twenty years and the CL with the M Summicron is the same type of camera. Simple, tough, and producing top class images. At last Leica have got it right - for me anyway.

Congrats! Yes, there is much to like with the CL. And most of the issues raised should be possible to mediate by a firmware update (notably being able to fully configure the two upper dials, and to have an option to decouple auto focus from shutter release, the latter when using L-lenses or 3rd-party electronic lenses with appropriate adapters). Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

Here’s a fairly glowing review of the CL. I like the focus on the handling, usability and fun of using the camera.

https://www.casualphotophile.com/2018/03/25/leica-cl-mirrorless-digital-camera-review/

Their certificate ran out. Make it http, rather. They should really fix this soon. The message you are getting from the Browser is scary to most, I suspect.

The reviewer seems to think the battery door spoils it all and the Sonys can as well take Leica M lenses. Well. Too much of re-chewed wisdom which does not feel authentic to me. 

And now you can run your lenses on the CL without giving up the form factor.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Aside from Thorston Overgaard, who apparently didn't care for the CL as it is not the M10, a common theme is that "of coarse" the CL would not be considered for Action/sports.

My Question:  Why?  What am I missing what others think obvious?

What is it that CL will not perform well sports action.   

In my case would not be shooting professionally but might want take photo of my child playing futball, etc. 

Many thanks for your helps.

C

• 3 weeks later...

Aside from Thorston Overgaard, who apparently didn't care for the CL as it is not the M10, a common theme is that "of coarse" the CL would not be considered for Action/sports.

My Question:  Why?  What am I missing what others think obvious?

C

Only Overgaard and The Camera Store haven’t given the CL top reviews. Overgaard is because he is trapped in the M mindset and The Camera Store because he didn’t get on with the custom dials as he likes everything single use with clear markings.

Other more critical organisations, such as Amateur Photographic in the UK, love it

In terms of individual specialities, it is not a laser but a generalist.

For example, great sport photos were taken in the 70s with manual focus film cameras.

The rest is technique

For its category the only competitors are the Sony A6xxx series and the Fuji X series

Both are at least half the price

The Sony lacks the lens range and the simplicity and the Fuji’s raw is a pain and the build quality is not there.

Both however are fantastic systems which take pictures amazing pictures.

Let’s not forget that Leica is a lifestyle and design choice, as well as IQ, and we should all be comfortable in our skin

For me the CL has replaced Fuji as my APS-C camera of choice.

I simply love using it and I get great keepers

All the rest is detail ....

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Just read this as well.  One phrase from the user report:

"I’m crossing my fingers that Leica will introduce more Summilux lenses for the C/TL system."

I couldn't agree more...

I initially felt the CL was a little bit front heavy with the 35mm (perhaps slightly more than with the TL2) but I use the 35mm most of the time now and I really don't notice it anymore... 

The 60mm is physically larger but weighs less than the 35mm (and the 11-23mm).

For me the images of the 35mm and the 60mm in the article stand out, more so than the ones from the 11-23 and the 18mm

Edited by JorisV

• 3 weeks later...

You dont buy Leica on a 'bang for buck' approach, and most of the negative reviews of Leica gear is due to price / performance ratio, rather than it being a bad product.

The CL will be a superb seller I think... Clearly its a great little camera, as are almost all cameras nowadays. No excuse for a bad photo. When APSC cameras can shoot usable images at 50k ISO how much better do we need.

Only Overgaard and The Camera Store haven’t given the CL top reviews. Overgaard is because he is trapped in the M mindset and The Camera Store because he didn’t get on with the custom dials as he likes everything single use with clear markings.

Other more critical organisations, such as Amateur Photographic in the UK, love it

In terms of individual specialities, it is not a laser but a generalist.

For example, great sport photos were taken in the 70s with manual focus film cameras.

The rest is technique

For its category the only competitors are the Sony A6xxx series and the Fuji X series

Both are at least half the price

The Sony lacks the lens range and the simplicity and the Fuji’s raw is a pain and the build quality is not there.

Both however are fantastic systems which take pictures amazing pictures.

Let’s not forget that Leica is a lifestyle and design choice, as well as IQ, and we should all be comfortable in our skin

For me the CL has replaced Fuji as my APS-C camera of choice.

I simply love using it and I get great keepers

All the rest is detail ....

Common criticisms, particularly when compared to competition (price aside), include lack of stabilization (body or native lenses) and lack of weather sealing. These omissions prevent the CL from being a mini SL for rugged travel or for steady handholding for tele use or low light conditions. I’d personally have much more interest in the system without these deficiencies.

But the competition is not without reviewer criticisms, e.g., menu complexity, ergonomics, lens size/choices, etc. No system Is perfect.

Jeff