CL reviews

helged

Handled one in the Leica Store today... very nice. The EVF is great, the camera is unexpectedly lightweight, and seems very pocketable. The demo unit had the lens on that I plan to use as my walk-around, the 23mm Summicron. Just a great overall package.

• Like 4

"Allegedly Sony Sensor" ? nice

"In our meeting with Leica, they stated the Leica CL digital isn’t anywhere as robust as the Leica SL. They’d take it out in a drizzle of rain, but not in a rain storm. Indeed, the Leica CL digital has no weather sealing. However, it still feels fairly solid in the hand. It isn’t Leica SL or Leica M solid though. In fact, the Leica Q feels more solid than this." ........

"Allegedly Sony Sensor" ? nice

"In our meeting with Leica, they stated the Leica CL digital isn’t anywhere as robust as the Leica SL. They’d take it out in a drizzle of rain, but not in a rain storm. Indeed, the Leica CL digital has no weather sealing. However, it still feels fairly solid in the hand. It isn’t Leica SL or Leica M solid though. In fact, the Leica Q feels more solid than this." ........

Solvitur ambulando - try it for yourself. It seemed solid enough in the hand to me (as a M240, TL2 and SL owner).

Well, it is a reasonable supposition. Although Leica does not reveal the sensor suppliers any more, most if not all Leica APS sensors (and the Digilux2) come from Sony. The only niggle of doubt would be that Panasonic is quite deeply involved in sensor development and production as well nowadays.

the sony a6xxx sensors are quite good

Well, it is a reasonable supposition. Although Leica does not reveal the sensor suppliers any more, most if not all Leica APS sensors (and the Digilux2) come from Sony. The only niggle of doubt would be that Panasonic is quite deeply involved in sensor development and production as well nowadays.

I must say the reviews are generally rather odd ......

..... hardly anyone slagging it off (Kai is Kai... as usual) as bling for those with more money than sense ..... no complaints about it being years behind the competition ..... no 'the Cafujicon XX5 beats it by miles at 10% of the price' and no real 'if only's' of any real consequence.

Perhaps I should consider giving up Leica as it is making products that 'normal' photographers like ...... I'm far more comfortable fighting a losing rearguard action against a tide of moans and groans from reviewers who never seem to get the point of Leica   :huh:

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 13

..... hardly anyone slagging it off (Ming is Ming ... as usual)

Would that be Ming Thein? Could not find anything from him on his website re the CL.

oops .... got him muddled with Kai ..... still brain dead from a 3 hour Ryanair flight wedged immobile between 'large' people, assailed by screaming and crying kids and coughed over by dozens of virus laden ill people  ...... is there any other form of transport more miserable ????

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 2