CL reviews

helged

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Common criticisms, particularly when compared to competition (price aside), include lack of stabilization (body or native lenses) and lack of weather sealing. These omissions prevent the CL from being a mini SL for rugged travel or for steady handholding for tele use or low light conditions. I’d personally have much more interest in the system without these deficiencies.

But the competition is not without reviewer criticisms, e.g., menu complexity, ergonomics, lens size/choices, etc. No system Is perfect.

Jeff

I will take weather sealing any day but it is not a decisive criteria for me.

Stabilization is, and the fact that it was not included in a 7 months old camera is a huge missed (commercial) opportunity IMO as the CL2 is probably at least 3 years away...

A more complete lens line-up is a criteria as well, although I am really mostly only looking for a Summilux-TL 23mm and a 16-55mm zoom with OIS in addition to the current lenses.  A wide angle 14mm f2.8 would be great as well.

I love the combination of the CL with the Summilux-TL 35mm.  It is probably my most used camera-lens combination at the moment.

I will take weather sealing any day but it is not a decisive criteria for me.

Stabilization is, and the fact that it was not included in a 7 months old camera is a huge missed (commercial) opportunity IMO as the CL2 is probably at least 3 years away...

A more complete lens line-up is a criteria as well, although I am really mostly only looking for a Summilux-TL 23mm and a 16-55mm zoom with OIS in addition to the current lenses.  A wide angle 14mm f2.8 would be great as well.

I love the combination of the CL with the Summilux-TL 35mm.  It is probably my most used camera-lens combination at the moment.

However, stabilisation is only of limited value for shorter focal lengths - the lens where it really counts, the L-90-280, is stabilized...

However, stabilisation is only of limited value for shorter focal lengths - the lens where it really counts, the L-90-280, is stabilized...

Our opinions differ on this one.  I use the OIS of the 24-90mm on the SL all the time.  I would have bought the 16-35mm if it had come with OIS.  As always YMMV.

Yes, I guess I have been shaped by fifty years of unstabilized lenses... ;) . I had to get the shot with Visoflex and 400 mm Telyt, no fancy AF or OIS... Or Kodachrome 25 and bad light with a 2.8 50 Elmar. No excuses then.

• Like 1

Only Overgaard and The Camera Store haven’t given the CL top reviews. Overgaard is because he is trapped in the M mindset and The Camera Store because he didn’t get on with the custom dials as he likes everything single use with clear markings.

Other more critical organisations, such as Amateur Photographic in the UK, love it

In terms of individual specialities, it is not a laser but a generalist.

For example, great sport photos were taken in the 70s with manual focus film cameras.

The rest is technique

For its category the only competitors are the Sony A6xxx series and the Fuji X series

Both are at least half the price

The Sony lacks the lens range and the simplicity and the Fuji’s raw is a pain and the build quality is not there.

Both however are fantastic systems which take pictures amazing pictures.

Let’s not forget that Leica is a lifestyle and design choice, as well as IQ, and we should all be comfortable in our skin

For me the CL has replaced Fuji as my APS-C camera of choice.

I simply love using it and I get great keepers

All the rest is detail ....

Consumers Association WHICH? magazine tested the CL last February  https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/dslr-cameras/leica-cl    … whoever reviewed the camera did not like it and in their conclusion there was a lot of negativity. A friend sent me the 'conclusion' but I need to visit my local library to discover exactly how it was tested and with which settings. Reading between the lines in their 'verdict' I'm wondering if they only used jpegs mode? 

dunk 

Yes, I guess I have been shaped by fifty years of unstabilized lenses... ;) . I had to get the shot with Visoflex and 400 mm Telyt, no fancy AF or OIS... Or Kodachrome 25 and bad light with a 2.8 50 Elmar. No excuses then.

Jaap, I think there a lot of Folks here in this Forum who shot Decades without OIS, including me ..... but, the times they are changing and it is a big Difference if you shot with 1/8 sec and ISO 200 with OIS or 1/60 and ISO 1600 without OIS.

For me it is the main reason why I am not in the Market with the CL. Such a lovely Camera but .... especially if you see what other manufacturers delivering. Of course without Leica Feeling.

Therefore, I am staying with my Q, hopefully a Q50 oder Q75 will be arriving at Photokina.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Even so, for my real long work I am sticking to my pre-O.I.S. 105-280 R and extenders, or, if I really need the extra stability, the GX8 + DG Vario-Elmar 100-400, which beats all other I.S. systems hands-down. Especially as there is no technical objection to shooting the CL at ISO 800, or even 1600 or 3200 in good light. The difference you mention has disappeared, the boundary lies a lot further.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was looking at reviews of the new macbook pro and came across this guy, "3 blind men and an elephant". He is like no other tech reviewer - more like a cosy fireside chat with your old uncle.

Anyway, he posted this philosophical piece about TL & CL and its very 'nice'.

Cheers

• Like 1

I was looking at reviews of the new macbook pro and came across this guy, "3 blind men and an elephant". He is like no other tech reviewer - more like a cosy fireside chat with your old uncle.

Anyway, he posted this philosophical piece about TL & CL and its very 'nice'.

Cheers

....... perhaps .... but he has some ponderous, highly irritating mannerisms and delivery that grate after a while ..... if he had said 'hold that thought' one more time I would have screamed. How he manages to spin this out to 45 minutes beats me.  God help you if you were stuck talking to him at a party .......  :blink:

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 1

Viewing off and on took 2 hours in 5-10 minute segments.  This video for a CL non-owner was informative on a few points.  Was it worth the time?  It's not unlike going to continuing education classes, 7 hours of sitting and listening, if I get one good bit of information it is worth the time/money.  So, overall I would suffer through the full SL series.  You tube should offer 1.5x playback similar to podcast apps.  

I'm afraid I agree with you. In truth, I really don't know why I bother reading reviews at all as I'm well enough experienced to be able to make my own judgements from the specs, since almost all manufacturers are producing first rate stuff today and, Leica above all, can be relied on to do just this. So pointless exercise reading reviews and I really mustvstop!!

Oh, I think that you do not learn much when reading the long list of specs (except for size, weight and nbr of pixels). The whole rest about a camera is about IQ and the begaviour of a camera in different lighting conditions or the ease of use. How do the colors render in comparison to a Sony 6xxx? That means that you have to read good reviews or else try it out yourself. When I think back to the M10 discussion in the other forum then I remember that it was all about matching sensor and lenses. It was a very complicated discussion to show why Leica could not just take the very best Sony sensor with 30 to 40 Mp. No, that would not have worked. I mention this because all of this very important detail does not show up in the specs at all.

How do you see that?