CL reviews

helged

Not the most positive review... Don't shoot the messenger!

TheCameraStoreTV:

I watched this review this morning.  I like their perspective but always consider where that perspective comes from.  If you live in the frenetic do-all-instantly camera world, his points are valid.  For someone who takes time to find the best in a camera, they mean little (though some of the frustrations with menus probably could be fixed!).  I was disappointed he didn't comment on the quality of those lenses though.  While the review was negative, there was nothing to put me off.  However, a decent reality check for some impulsive types.

I watched this review this morning.  I like their perspective but always consider where that perspective comes from.  If you live in the frenetic do-all-instantly camera world, his points are valid.  For someone who takes time to find the best in a camera, they mean little (though some of the frustrations with menus probably could be fixed!).  I was disappointed he didn't comment on the quality of those lenses though.  While the review was negative, there was nothing to put me off.  However, a decent reality check for some impulsive types.

I already have the camera so their review comes too late but it would not have put me off either...

Most of their Leica reviews are negative.  That being said, I like watching them and they usually raise a few good points.  In the case of the CL:

1) User Interface: I personally prefer the 4-button interface of the SL/S or the touch UI of the T/TL2. 

2) Image Stabilization: I agree with him there.  Should have been included.  In 3-4 years with the CL2 perhaps...?

3) EVF: good but being used to the one of the SL...   I honestly also expected better for a $3K camera.

4: Grip: also prefer the grip of the TL2.  Much more comfortable to hold IMO.

5) Looks: the TL2 wins hands down.  I actually like the leaked pictures better than the real product.

The AF is much better than the TL2 but then again, you would expect each new mirrorless camera to have good AF nowadays, the TL2 disappointed slightly in that regard.

Besides that I miss the GPS and would have preferred a joystick instead of the D-pad buttons.

It is what is.  None of the above should prevent anybody from taking pictures to their best ability.

• Like 1

The pictures he shoots are appealing, so I'm willing to listen and I agree with several points.  To start with the nits, I have also wondered why Leica makes the red dot disappear to signal "ON".  Image stabilization is overdue, joystick-like back button AF would have been nice.  The M10 menu interface mixed in with touch screen use in other modes has got to be confusing.  On the viewfinder, I would like to know how it compares with any other solution that size, since the SL's viewfinder is twice as big and would look quite strange if grafted on to the CL.  On its video capabilities, since I enjoy video but don't have full professional expectations (I'm using only a fraction of my SL's capabilities), I'll wait another two weeks until my CL gets to me before having any opinion.

scott

• Like 1

If Leica cameras would appeal to everybody it would take ten years after ordering to get one... As it is, quite a few of his minuses are pluses for me.

Actually, this review shows how smart Leica design has been: An APS system camera that will have minimal impact on TL2 sales, as it has been conceived for a completely different customer group.

I totally agree about IBIS, though. And they could have left out the touchscreen operation of the menus as far as I'm concerned, that is a kind of hybridization I really dislike (are you listening, Windows? :angry: ) But for the rest? If it were TL-like I would never have bought it.

• Like 2

Well, I love mine! But agree about IBIS because it restricts use of R and M lenses to 90 and below. I use the R 180/3.4 on my SL, but only when tripod mounted. I should love to add the 135/3.4 Apo Telyt M for hand held use on the CL but I think my hit rate would not justify the investment. Which is a shame because this fabulous lens is too difficult to focus on the M bodies but will require tripod or bright light for use on the CL / SL. And who wants to use Leicas in bright light?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I can live without IBIS, an On/Off button that reveals rather than conceals a red dot etc. But I find that the CL's menu system shows a disconcerting lack of confidence in its ability to innovate which I don't usually see from Leica. Having developed a natural and intuitive interface for the T/TL2 that is genuinely useful, distinctive and cutting edge, it has backed off to give us a bog standard scroll-through menu list that just slows us up. 

So, please Leica, f/w upgrade 1.1 should be a full touch screen, icon-based interface.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 3

Well, I love mine! But agree about IBIS because it restricts use of R and M lenses to 90 and below. I use the R 180/3.4 on my SL, but only when tripod mounted. I should love to add the 135/3.4 Apo Telyt M for hand held use on the CL but I think my hit rate would not justify the investment. Which is a shame because this fabulous lens is too difficult to focus on the M bodies but will require tripod or bright light for use on the CL / SL. And who wants to use Leicas in bright light?

I use the APO-Telyt 135/3.4 without issue on my wonderful film M3's and I do mount it to an X-Pro2 (digital APS-C). It is easy to use on the X-Pro2 (if not as easy as the M3) and I have no trouble using it in dimmer light. That is my experience, anyway!

• Like 1

From dpreview.com a counter to The Camera Store review:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4235956

Hardly an 'in depth' review and he's failed to consider/mention a number of the CL's and its lenses' attributes. Impossible to assess a camera comprehensively in such a short video revue. 

dunk

• Like 1

I guess (I am not going to see it) Steve Huff claims is the best thing since sliced bread just like he says every time he reviews something new from Leica, Olympus or Sony. Any other brand doesn't deserve his attention.

• Like 3

Hardly an 'in depth' review and he's failed to consider/mention a number of the CL's and its lenses' attributes. Impossible to assess a camera comprehensively in such a short video revue. 

dunk

It was a review of the camera, not their lenses. Not because he didn't like the camera it means he is wrong. 

It was a review of the camera, not their lenses. Not because he didn't like the camera it means he is wrong. 

it's a SYSTEM camera which includes its lenses … lenses usable at any aperture and in the case of the zoom lenses, throughout their zoom range.

dunk  

• Like 1

it's a SYSTEM camera which includes its lenses … lenses usable at any aperture and in the case of the zoom lenses, throughout their zoom range.

dunk  

Wow, so when someone reviews a Canon body needs to talk about their 200+ lenses?

Edited by rivi1969