CL reviews

helged

From LuLa ($12 annual subscription)....

https://luminous-landscape.com/leica-cl-hands-review/

Jeff

Kevin Raber uses so many cameras that I doubt he is a big menu-reorganizer.  He likes it (says it is what the TLs should have been), and comes down with many others asking for tiltable back screen and joystick for back panel AF (as the SL provides).  He does a good job of showing off the viewfinder quality, then makes the lcd screen on the back look poor.

I'm using SLs for weddings but it was fun to add the CL (as I do with the Q). The CL doesn't attract attention to guests (and esp. priests) which makes it much easier to get candid shots. The image quality is equal to the SL for my style of reportage but without back button focus, IOS and a 2nd SD card slot the CL will remain an extension to the SL and will not replace it.

Please what does „back button focus“ mean?

It allows you to autofocus on a spot and then keep that focus while you recompose for example shooting a portrait you can focus on the eye and then recompose. I even use this shooting full lenght people shot, prefocusing on the face.  I have these in my Canons and Sony, better than half shutter setting to get autofocused and lights metered

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On the SL with an autofocus lens, you can set the camera in manual focus mode, but the AF will still work when you push in on the joystick.  You can then further adjust focus with the manual focus ring, or just proceed to set exposure with  half-press of the shutter button, recompose if desired and then push the shutter down the rest of the way to take your picture.  Easier than it may sound, and you now have the freedom to set focus independently of exposure, and it becomes easier to avoid having to shift things around to the final composition or framing.  You would think that pressing the center of the 4-way button on the CL might do that, but at present it does some other things instead.

• Like 3

I had forgotten I was still subscribed to Reid Reviews and finally got round to reading about the CL .......

....and then remembered why I let my subscription lapse before ....

I've read more exciting bus timetables ........ just a tiny bit of enthusiasm or praise above 'quite nice' would be ok ...... just a little bit of Huff wouldn't go amiss....

but there again...... 

I have found it an understated but essentially faultless little camera that does everything you want with no fuss or aggravation. Image quality with the suite of SL and TL lenses cannot be faulted.

No great innovations, no real surprises, no gimmicks, just does what it says on the tin ..... effortlessly. A perfect foil for the SL as a second body or substitute when travelling light. 

Maybe there isn't anything to gush and crow about .....  :rolleyes:

• Like 9

I had forgotten I was still subscribed to Reid Reviews and finally got round to reading about the CL .......

<snip>

Strongly disagree about Reid Reviews. In a subscription site, I want original content, not entertainment. Sean Reid's articles are written in such a way that I can reread them and still learn new things. I do not know of any other place on Web that is as thorough and as objective in reviewing lenses and cameras.

The only issue with his site is that it does not offer automatic subscription renewal.

Edited by SrMi
  • Like 5

I've read more exciting bus timetables ........ just a tiny bit of enthusiasm or praise above 'quite nice' would be ok ...... just a little bit of Huff wouldn't go amiss....

but there again...... 

I have found it an understated but essentially faultless little camera that does everything you want with no fuss or aggravation. Image quality with the suite of SL and TL lenses cannot be faulted.

No great innovations, no real surprises, no gimmicks, just does what it says on the tin ..... effortlessly. A perfect foil for the SL as a second body or substitute when travelling light. 

Maybe there isn't anything to gush and crow about .....  :rolleyes:

Every time I am considering new camera gear (currently, the 50 Summilux-SL), I go looking for good reviews and I consider going to the Reid Reviews site.  I don't dislike Sean at all, but I find his images drab in the extreme and fruit and veggies and the backs of heads of rural folk at some country knees up a waste of bandwidth.

His detailed discussion of his process could be cut and pasted from every other review - find and substitute camera X and insert camera Y.  I tend to jump to the conclusion to see if I can learn anything from that.

To be perfectly honest, I learn more here than from Reid Reviews.  He can tell me that the 50 Summilux-SL gets a little soft in the corners at f/1.4, the AF is pedestrian, it's very large and heavy at 1kg and all the rest, but I've learnt more about using the lens here, and the quality of the fall-off from sharpness and the out of focus treatment here than anywhere else, thanks in no small part to your posts.

So, no I won't be re-subscribing.

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 5

>>

<<

A camera doing what one expects so well with so little fuss is extremely rare! I trunk just that says a lot for the little CL.

- Vikas

• Like 3

Every time I am considering new camera gear (currently, the 50 Summilux-SL), I go looking for good reviews and I consider going to the Reid Reviews site. I don't dislike Sean at all, but I find his images drab in the extreme and fruit and veggies and the backs of heads of rural folk at some country knees up a waste of bandwidth.

His detailed discussion of his process could be cut and pasted from every other review - find and substitute camera X and insert camera Y. I tend to jump to the conclusion to see if I can learn anything from that.

To be perfectly honest, I learn more here than from Reid Reviews. He can tell me that the 50 Summilux-SL gets a little soft in the corners at f/1.4, the AF is pedestrian, it's very large and heavy at 1kg and all the rest, but I've learnt more about using the lens here, and the quality of the fall-off from sharpness and the out of focus treatment here than anywhere else, thanks in no small part to your posts.

So, no I won't be re-subscribing.

I'm afraid I agree with you. In truth, I really don't know why I bother reading reviews at all as I'm well enough experienced to be able to make my own judgements from the specs, since almost all manufacturers are producing first rate stuff today and, Leica above all, can be relied on to do just this. So pointless exercise reading reviews and I really mustvstop!! Edited by Waterden
  • Like 2