CL reviews

helged

I use the APO-Telyt 135/3.4 without issue on my wonderful film M3's and I do mount it to an X-Pro2 (digital APS-C). It is easy to use on the X-Pro2 (if not as easy as the M3) and I have no trouble using it in dimmer light. That is my experience, anyway!

Well, I gave in and found an AT 135 at an excellent price. Will be interesting to see what speed I need to use to keep it steady!

• Like 1

Well, I gave in and found an AT 135 at an excellent price. Will be interesting to see what speed I need to use to keep it steady!

On the M3 with a steady hand I generally use 125th or shorter. On the X-Pro2, 250th or shorter. I have used longer times successfully hand held, but they are more risky.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a review but voted worst camera of the year by TheCameraStoreTV (after about 30:15min)

I found most of the video unwatchable, but guessed that they would save the best (worst) for the last.  So I fast-forwarded to the end and rather their reasons for declaring the CL the worst of the year.

I guess they just don't get it - everyone is entitle to their own foibles.

- Vikas

Edited by vikasmg

From the other videos of theirs I have watched the are very partisan, opinionated for effect rather than as information, and seem to place emphasis on things that frankly seem pretty trivial to me. 

I don't think I'd ever buy anything based on what this pair say .....

• Like 1

I have read the complaint about the non linear behavior of manual focus before - cannot remember where. Some become very evangelistic about their views and almost want to force the manufacturer to change things to their liking. I have zero issues in manually focussing the TL lenses.

I am always surprised how small things are taken as being to important. One of the great advantages of humans is the ability to adapt and learn. Did I like the back button on the Q? Yes. Do I really miss it that strongly on the CL that it spoils my ability to use it? No. I enjoy the cleaner layout and learned to live without it :)

• Like 1

I checked this morning (in my time zone east of GMT) to see if my review of the CL had appeared on B&H, and it now seems that no reviews appear.  Perhaps since neither I nor the reviewer who didn't like the feel of manual focus with a TL lens purchased our CLs from B&H.  There is a long article describing the camera's features, containing a mistake.  B&H promises a micro-HDMI output connection to the CL, which does not exist.  (I think that is Leica USA's error -- I saw it in their memo to the stores.)

...... a review after 3hrs use and some bizarre comments about the unusability of manual M wide angle lenses (read it an see if you can make any sense of the 5th paragraph).

The world of 'reviewing' is becoming ever more cluttered with completely worthless opinions. 

I've often complained that Sean Reid is rather dull and has a few blind spots, but at least he takes some effort to try things out comprehensively before committing himself to print.  

B&H now has three reviews, two by "verified purchasers" and one by a CL owner who didn't buy from B&H (me).  One appears on the listing for the 18mm kit, two on the listing for the 18-56mm kit, none on the body-only listing.  The two verified purchasers gave the CL a 3 rating, but only contributed discussions of nits that annoyed them.  If anyone on this forum cares to contribute, especially if you purchased through B&H, it would greatly raise the amount of information available there.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 1